Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm looking for a reasonably priced, small range bag. I'm looking for something for my P239, 100-200 rounds of ammo, ear protection, and eye protection.

Obviously I know specialty range bags aren't required... but I don't really have a bag right now that would fit the bill. Are there any real advantages to getting a specifically designed bag? Are there particular features that you find useful? Or should I just buy something cheap from Target and call it a day?

Thanks for any advice and such. It is much appreciated, as always.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
There seem to be a ton of good quality bags out their.

I recommend going to your local gun shop or one of the big chains and checking them out for yourself. Before you look at the price or color, look for how well made is the bag? Is the stitching sturdy, are the zippers heavy duty, are the shoulder strap fasteners strong, and will it last over time?

Then decide if the price and color are right?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There seem to be a ton of good quality bags out their.

I recommend going to your local gun shop or one of the big chains and checking them out for yourself. Before you look at the price or color, look for how well made is the bag? Is the stitching sturdy, are the zippers heavy duty, are the shoulder strap fasteners strong, and will it last over time?

Then decide if the price and color are right?
That's a good idea there Rob. Unfortunately the local gun shops around me are absolutely terrible when it comes to their pricing on pretty much everything, though I guess I could find something I like then research online.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen a wide selection of range bags at Gander Mountain? There is one of those up the road a ways that I could stop in.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Personally, unless you really care what you look like walking in, go with a good quality gym bag of the appropriate size. Nobody really looks at your range bag except you. Until you are carrying 4-5 pistols with ammo to go around, a cheap bag is all you really need. I would look for one that you can put a lock on the zipper though - just to keep the little hands out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Check out Galati International. Their Super Mini Range Bag is great. Have had mine now for approx. 24 years. Tough as iron, and affordable.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally, unless you really care what you look like walking in, go with a good quality gym bag of the appropriate size. Nobody really looks at your range bag except you. Until you are carrying 4-5 pistols with ammo to go around, a cheap bag is all you really need. I would look for one that you can put a lock on the zipper though - just to keep the little hands out.
I couldn't care any less what I look like, so I'm open to any options.

Regarding a gym bag... what do you do with your gun itself? Do you put it in it's box or in a pistol-only case inside the gym bag?

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
I couldn't care any less what I look like, so I'm open to any options.

Regarding a gym bag... what do you do with your gun itself? Do you put it in it's box or in a pistol-only case inside the gym bag?
Exactly. You don't want it getting knocked around with ammo and such. If you don't want to use a pistol case, you will need to go with an actual range bag with individual padded slots. Don't just toss it all in a grocery sack!:gah:

I have a range bag I picked up at Gander Mountain on clearance for under $30. I use that when I am going "for the day". I also use a gym bag for short outings, when I am only working with one, or at most, two pistols.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The range bag question has come up several times and you really can't beat the Midway bag that jelliott24 provided a link to but if you want a smaller bag, Midway also has a compact version.

Hoss

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you are looking to save a buck get the midway stuff. I like mine better, but then again it was 5x as much. My theory was that if I was carrying $3K is gear around in it, I could spend roughly 5% of that on on the bag.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Do yourself a favor.

Don't do what I did and buy 3 range bags, two sit around.

Get the Midway bag. Often on sale for $39, it is very well made, lots of pockets, tons of storage, great shoulder strap. Very good quality. Even a pocket for a water bottle, and a business card.

or buy one of my old range bags.

You'll thank me later.

·
Registered
357 Posts
For my casual, only going to shoot my EDC gun, I use a camera bag. It hold 3 boxes of ammo (150 rounds), a couple mags, my safety glasses and ear plugs and a couple rags. Its small and compact with a nice shoulder strap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here is another vote for the Midway bag.

I've seen the 5.11 range bag for about $100 and Academy Sports range bag for $59, which both look identical to the Midway bag except for sewn on logos. Makes me wonder if they are all made at the same place. Perhaps there are some differences in material thickness. However, they all look to be of superb quality.

Anyway, do yourself a favor. Listen to Guns and more' advice above. Midway's bag is by far the best for you money and it matches up to any of the well known more expensive bags.

One last point, better to have a bag that is bigger than you think you need. You will eventually find more stuff to put in it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I know thats right....... i saw a guy come out of an indoor range just today and he had his stuff in a Hyvee grocery environmental bag......

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I just recently purchased this MidwayUSA range bag. On sale until the end of November. Lots of space, many pockets, detachable ammo bag, brass bag with mesh bottom. I couldn't be happier.

MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag PVC Coated Polyester Black - MidwayUSA

As far as I'm concerned, you simply won't find a better range bag than the Midway Competition Range Bag!

Especially at the sale price of $40. That's $20 off the regular retail. I've had mine for about 6 or 8 months and it is incredible. Go to the website and read the hundreds of product reviews!

Technical Information:

# Overall dimensions: 22"L x 15"W x 10"H.
# 9 Total pockets: 7 on main bag - 2 on removable stage bag/ammunition carrier.
# 14 Total magazine pouches 1 1/2"L x 4 1/2"H 8 in rear compartment - 6 in stage bag/ammunition carrier.
# Fired brass carrying bag 5" Diameter 6"H with cinch top, reinforced mesh bottom and chrome plated steel clasps.
# Heavy duty 2"W x 52"L removable carrying strap with shoulder pad and chrome plated steel clasps.
# Full wrap around carrying straps with 5" strap connector/handle with hook and loop closure.
# External ID pocket.
# 2 Non-slip stabilizing pads 2" x 5" on bottom of bag.
# Main compartment 17"L x 10"W x 10"H.

* Includes:
+ 2 removable padded pistol rugs with zippers 8 1/2"H x 12"W fit most large frame semi-auto pistols and revolvers with barrels up to 6".
+ Removable stage bag/ammunition carrier with carrying handles for portability 15"L x 5"W x7.5"H.
+ Removable stage bag/ammunition carrier features:
* 2 Padded zippered pockets 7 1/2"H x 15"L.
* 2 Padded moveable hook and loop equiped compartment walls.
* 2 Chrome plated steel D-rings for quick attachment of the carry strap.
* Full wrap-around nylon handles.

# Front compartments - 2 Padded zippered pockets 8"L x 2"W x 8"H - Right side pocket features embroidered MidwayUSA Logo.
# Right side compartment - 1 Padded zippered pocket 8"L x 2"W x 8"H with 5 internal elastic accessory holders 1 1/4"W x 2 1/2"H.
# Left side compartments - 1 Padded zippered pocket 4"L x 2"W x 8"H and 1 padded beverage holder with drain hole.
# Rear compartment - 1 Padded zippered pocket 8"L x 2"W x 16"W which features:

* 8 magazine pouches.
* Internal padded pocket 8"L by 15 1/2"W.
* 12 various sized internal elastic accessory holders designed to hold brushes, jags etc for calibers from 50 down to 17.

Midway also makes a smaller version bag which is on sale now for $27 you can find here.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
For a small bag that holds a bunch, I'm partial to this GunMate bag:
GunMate Range Bag Nylon Black - MidwayUSA

I can load that little sucker up with a lot of stuff and not feel like I'm dragging around a duffel bag. It's very well made also. If you want to be a little more discreet with the bag, take a black Sharpie to the GunMate logo to help hide what may be in the bag from curious eyes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I decided to be a regular at the indoor range, I grabbed a bag I already had. The bag that fits on the back of my bicycle. It's just the right size to hold the eyes & ears, ammo, target tape, sharpie pen, mags and pistol. This bike bag was not cheap - it slides onto the back piece on a little rail thing and clicks in for fast install and removal on the bike. But since I already had it, I didn't need to get another bag.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts