Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be buying a new rifle soon wondering what caliber you would recommend? I mainly hunt with the occasional go out at target practice in the back yard. I only hunt white tail. Looking at 6.5 creed, 270, 7mm-08, 7mm, 308, 300 win mag, 30-06. What would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Out of the ones you mentioned, I like the 30.06 the best. You can buy factory ammo from 90 grains all the way up to 210 grains. It would be plenty of rifle for any game in North America. Personally though, I hunt with a 300 WSM. It is without a doubt my favorite. It is the fastest growing big game caliber on the market right now. Good luck!

·
Banned
3,890 Posts

Reactions: kac1269

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I like my 7mm-08 (in a T/C Encore) and plan on eventually getting a bolt gun in that caliber. Wisconsin woods keep me within 200yds of what I'm slinging lead at and that cartridge will do just fine at that distance.

Otherwise, I'd say get a .308. If you are just hunting whitetail, I personally don't think you have any need for the two magnum cartridges you listed. Just my two cents.

P.S: Don't consider me bias just because of my name. I made that name when I was young and all I could think of was my nickname and the only gun I really owned at the time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Typically I'll be limited to 200 yards. But that's where I usually hunt so maybe I'll encounter longer distances this year as I'm going a few different places.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Can't go wrong with any of those. For me I'd choose a .30-06. Recoil, is reasonable, ammo is available anywhere that sells ammo, 200+ yard shots are no problem. If I wanted a more "tactical" oriented semi auto I might choose a .308 instead. For manual operation (bolt or pump) Id go 06. Im in the same boat as most shots are not only well within 200 yards, they're well within 100 yards most times. The 06 can take care of "brush rifle" conditions and afford the luxury of taking a longer shot if one gets the opportunity. Longest shot I've ever made in Ozark hill country is 225 yards, most of my deer hunting can easily be handled by the ole .30-30 but it's nice to have the extended range as I do hunt fields occasionally.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Yes, I have opinions on caliber. (We ALL do!) :biggrin2:

In New York or surrounding territory you're not gonna' have many "sendaro" vistas. I'm not too worried about Country Store ammo availability 'cuz I'm gonna' bring it...with me. I'd buy a lightweight 7mm-08. Whitetail deer are not thick-skinned dangerous game. :hand5:

·
Super Moderator
19,884 Posts
Any of the calibers listed will do the job - heck, an acquaintance used a .22 mag in the ear to knock down whitetails at 35 yards.

I'd suggest starting with an action and a gun you like best, then choose the caliber based on what's available for that gun. If you want a bolt gun, the world is your oyster. Like a lever action? Browning, Marlin, Winchester or a used Savage 99 will get you there. Pump gun? Remington. All are available in calibers that will anchor your game.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Which ever caliber you select what counts is the ability to place your shots. Poor shot placement negates caliber. As far as punching thru heavy growth that's more of a notion as opposed to a practical application. I let individuals hunt on our property which is basically wooded (Hard-Woods) thus they hunt from tree stands. Why, because its a safety issue. Thus shots are angled downward. Average shooting distance under 50yds with an occasional shot more than that. If you get into crop fields the distance becomes a factor of significance.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Cant go wrong with a 308. There will never be a shortage of brass or bullets or ammo. I carry a 270 for deer and elk because I picked up one a few years back, and have stuck with that as my go to caliber. I have a 300 win mag but that's way too much gun for my bum shoulder. It sure does look pretty in the safe though.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Which ever caliber you select what counts is the ability to place your shots. Poor shot placement negates caliber. As far as punching thru heavy growth that's more of a notion as opposed to a practical application. I let individuals hunt on our property which is basically wooded (Hard-Woods) thus they hunt from tree stands. Why, because its a safety issue. Thus shots are angled downward. Average shooting distance under 50yds with an occasional shot more than that. If you get into crop fields the distance becomes a factor of significance.
^^^Very well put!^^^

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
My picks for deer would be 308, 30/06, 30/30,45/70 or 12 ga slug gun. I've only taken two deer with rifle calibers in my 40+ yrs of hunting. But over 25 with a 12 ga 1 oz slug. Not one of those needed tracking...

·
Super Moderator
18,790 Posts
Been hunting deer since the mid-1970s and have deliberately used different rifles, cartridges, and loads in order to add interest including: .220 Swift, .257 Roberts, .270 Winchester, 7X57, .30 Carbine, .30-30, .30 Remington, .300 Savage, .30-40 Krag, .308, .30-06, .303 ICL Improved, .32 Winchester Special, .351 Winchester, .38-40, .405 WCF, .45-70, and .45-90. Handgun cartridges used include, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, and .44 Magnum.

What dennis40X said above about shot placement is far more important than the cartridge chosen.

I particularly do not want to use any cartridge having the suffix of "magnum" in its name for my deer hunting, no matter size of the deer or the distance contemplated.

The .30-06 is my very favorite rifle cartridge of all time.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
My vote would be 270,308 or 30-06 but, it really depends on the kind of shooting your looking at. Wide open mule deer country or brushy whitetail or a little of both? The only one on your list that is really a very poor choice is the 300 WM as nothing on this continent needs a round like that. The only people that hunt in America with that round are compensating for poor hunting skills or something else. If you want to bang your shoulder and ruin more meat go for it.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
I'm going to be buying a new rifle soon wondering what caliber you would recommend? I mainly hunt with the occasional go out at target practice in the back yard. I only hunt white tail. Looking at 6.5 creed, 270, 7mm-08, 7mm, 308, 300 win mag, 30-06. What would you guys recommend?
I've had no whitetail laugh at my .62 cal flintlock with a 342 gr soft lead ball. Seriously, a 30-30 is all one needs less than 150 yards.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I wanted to keep my semi auto and deer rifle in the same caliber so I chose 308. Plenty big for Appalachian deer. Ammo might be a little heavy for a SHTF rifle, but that one rifle is more versatile I think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts