Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LGS has a couple of Charter Arms snubs in the display case and I do like how they look and feel in the hand. For those who own them any opinions?? I know they had a "bad" run in the firearm community some years ago but from what I read those days seem to be behind them. Yay? Nay?

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
19,961 Posts
They are a low cost knockoff of an S&W revolver. Some People love them, other people hate them. I have no love for snub-nose revolvers. I prefer Colts, S&W, and Ruger revolvers in that order.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I don't own one but, I have shot my sons and he has been carrying his for 7 years with no issues. I don't think I would have any qualms about carrying one especially since their QC is at least on par with today's S&W or Ruger QC.
I would own a Charter before a lock-side S&W.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Haven’t had one but I liked the bulldog in .44 special. Considered getting one but there are others I want more . Maybe one day 😄

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
755 Posts
i had an old undercover.......decent trigger, and excellent sight regulation. Sold it to a lady jailer as she was in need.

......no gun smiths i know of would ever work on one due to the design. And i never treated my old Charter to +p's.

most common problem i have seen from other owners is failure to keep that cylinder latch screw tight.

I consider the Charters as light duty......i simply do not believe that they would hold up under a steady diet of ammo like my LCRs or my Smiths have done.

my way of thinking....and i am unwilling to prove it.....the Charter is a great gun to carry often and seldom shoot......following that, it should last a lifetime.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Like Taurus revolvers, I've never held a Charter Arms revolver that I liked. None of them seemed all that rugged. The finish was nice enough on a few I looked at. Nothing really nice like the bluing on the older Colt, S&Ws, or Ruger revolvers out there.

I purchased two lockable S&W revolvers. I removed the locks and plugged the holes. I smiled as I threw the lock assembly away too. 😈

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
most common problem i have seen from other owners is failure to keep that cylinder latch screw tight.

I consider the Charters as light duty......i simply do not believe that they would hold up under a steady diet of ammo like my LCRs or my Smiths have done.

my way of thinking....and i am unwilling to prove it.....the Charter is a great gun to carry often and seldom shoot......following that, it should last a lifetime.
Not knocking S&W as I love my 642 and model 10 but, those very problems you mention I have had and still have on my 642. I had to finally loc-tight the cylinder release screw and I am now in the habit of checking screws and ejector tightness every time I shoot it and I always find one or two that work loose. I have never had the gun apart and I bought it new. Still love the gun but, its the only revolver I have owned that works its way loose with such regularity.
I have a 1994 Rossi stainless steel model that has never worked a screw loose in all those thousands of rounds and still has a tighter lockup than my 642 after half as many rounds. I just attributed all that to the lightweight frame?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I agree with retired deputy.

My wife has had a Charter Arms Undercover in .38 Special as her bedside "grab and go" handgun for over thirty years. She fires it about three times a year and rarely expends more than 10 or 15 rounds each time. It has been very reliable with this light usage. My wife also likes the original wooden grips because they fit her hand perfectly Though my hands are average in size, I find the grips to be too small.

My wife is a competent shooter and a confident gun handler. While she does not shoot nearly as much as I do, she now feels quite comfortable around every gun we own. This was not always the case. When she first got the five-shot Charter Arms, she would only load four rounds, leaving the hammer down on the empty chamber for "safety". It took a year and several conversations to get that last round loaded up.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Charter Arms .38 Special Undercover trivia...

John Lennon and George Wallace were both shot with a Charter Arms .38 Special Undercover revolver. Wallace survived but was paralyzed from his wounds. Lennon, regrettably, succumbed to his wounds.
Interesting tidbit but probably not the type of endorsement you were seeking.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I have a 38 Undercover which I've owned for about 40 years. I retired it around 20 years ago after ordering a new mainspring for it from Charter which never arrived, I was getting light strikes.

It's not a very strong revolver so I gave up on it, I'm not a fan of 38 special out of a snubby in the first place and I don't feel the little gun is up to shooting stiff +p loads. I bought a S&W 340PD to replace it, it's far stronger, lighter, has better trigger pull and chambered for 357.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
I had one I bought new in 1986. It had possibly the worse trigger pull of any revolver I have ever owned! And I have owned a bunch!

Reactions: CavemanBob

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far sounds like a "maybe at best. I have to consider that I do put plenty of ammo thru all my pistols so CA might not be a good long term investment.

·
Registered
59 Posts
LGS has a couple of Charter Arms snubs in the display case and I do like how they look and feel in the hand. For those who own them any opinions?? I know they had a "bad" run in the firearm community some years ago but from what I read those days seem to be behind them. Yay? Nay?
View attachment 353738
Never! My wife had a Pink Lady! Sent it back 3 times for weak primer strikes! They finally sent a new one! It had issues too! Junk!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Every review that I have ever read on Charter Arms, reveals a myriad of problems: timing is off, screws fall out, ejector doesn't work, trigger sucks, etc.
They all seem to agree that you might be happy with one if you fire a few rounds for function check and put it away in your night stand and hope that you never have to use it.
Very light duty! Here is one example -- Gun Review: Charter Arms Classic Undercover .38 Special Revolver - The Truth About Guns

I would suggest stepping up to a Taurus, at a minimum. -- Gun Review: Taurus Defender 856 .38 Special +P Revolver - The Truth About Guns

I'm a Ruger guy myself and would choose an SP-101 with a 3" barrel... but they do come at a price.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I have had the UC and it was a great. Sold it to a lady fried that needed it and couldn’t wait to afford something more expensive. I would still be carrying it.

I have had the newer ones and find them good values. Wish I could have kept them all, especially the Bulldog.

Buddy had one in 327mag, and it went out of time in one cylinder. Wouldn’t have one in a high pressure caliber.

Lefty

·
Registered
755 Posts
a lot of folks are still a tad gun shy about taurus......me included.....and that is why i am researching the 856. Seems a lot of good talk, but still a fair amount of bad experiences here and there.

the Charter i was serious about was the 3" "professional" in 32 H&R......but the field reports were mostly negative about the sights and especially the poa/poi as an actual design flaw that Charter still to date has not addressed.....

so.....i am left hoping ruger will get around to building that LCRx 3" in 327........but with the pressure of today's market to just keep up with current demand on established models, i doubt i would see ruger do that anytime soon.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
I have no experience with them, but to me, the only reason to buy one in .38 is price. I am not going to scrimp a few hundred bucks on a carry gun. They may be fine, but I would want a S&W or a Ruger. I'd even prefer a used one of those than a cheaper revo.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts