Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to pick up a 4" or Commander 1911 to carry rather than my M&P 9c and wanted to get opinions on what people recommend for a 4" or 4.25" carry option. I was thinking of a Springfield, Colt, Sig, or a Kimber for less than $1300 in .45ACP. Any advice or opinions on particular models would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
18,796 Posts
Colt or Springer. IMO, there are no alternatives.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Any of those brands, in that price range, in a "Commander" variant (4"-4.25") will be fine. I'm not a Kimber fan, but there are plenty of folks who are. IMHO, it's tough to beat a Colt yet I spend the majority of my "1911 money" on Springers & Sigs. If you were blind-folded, I'll give you a half hour to tell me one from another. But if you can't? You have to...buy me one! :biggrin2:

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I just picked up a Colt M1991 Stainless Commander for well under your budget recently--I am quite happy with it.

Is go with the 4.25 version before a 4", though-I prefer models with a bushing.

image.jpg

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Unfortunately, Springfield Armory discontinued their Loaded Stainless Steel Champion, but still produce the one I picked up a few years ago......the
Lightweight Champion Operator with Trijicon night sights. Have yet to find a Commander size .45 I like more....which is good, cuz' they not be cheap.
I did fall madly in lust with a Colt Stainless Lightweight Commander, but was a bit pricey for my wallet at the time. Wish I'd snagged it. Beautiful pistol.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've been looking to pick up a 4" or Commander 1911 to carry rather than my M&P 9c and wanted to get opinions on what people recommend for a 4" or 4.25" carry option. I was thinking of a Springfield, Colt, Sig, or a Kimber for less than $1300 in .45ACP. Any advice or opinions on particular models would be greatly appreciated
I'm new to 1911's and wanted to get the most 1911 I could afford. So I looked at Kimbers, Colts, springers, rock island, etc. in a certain price range. Studied, researched, etc and finally settled on this one - http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...70151_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y. It was the most expensive gun I'd ever bought at $1,200 plus tax. It has turned into my favorite carry gun (aiwb). And so sweet to shoot and its pretty too. I just love it.

Now I understand why folks love the 1911 platform. :)

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
If you can find a SA Loaded Champion jump all over it. Looking at SA website, it looks like they have dropped their commanders from the line up.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Love my Sig in every way but always annoys me the slide has a different shape than the standard. So holsters are a challenge. Otherwise an amazing value, accurate and stone cold reliable. There are a ton of great choices for sure. I dont want a carry 1911 that requires a bushing wrench and I wouldn't even think about one without front back checkering.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I own a Colt Lightweight Commander XSE, but would recommend you purchase a Springfield instead of the Colt based on the Springfield's customer service reputation. My Colt was very reliable for the first 2,000 rounds, but now I'm having problems with it. If I could have a redo.......I'd get an all steel pistol and not one with an alloy frame. The alloy frames are not as durable as all steel. This is important if you plan to put a lot of rounds through your pistol (like I do).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I won't be like some people here and tell you which brand to buy or not buy but I will tell you that I've been quite happy with my Kimber CDP II Compact that I've owned for 5-6 years now. Never once had a hiccup and if you want to carry a 1911 platform, it's a heckuva weapon. I looked at Colts at the time but as a lefty shooter would have had to have an ambi safety installed on the Colt. Came standard on the CDP.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Love my Colt LWT XSE Commander. Highly recommend!!!!!:yup:

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Dan Wesson CBOB :hand10:

It's been perfect. I have no idea how many rounds are thru it and it has never malfunctioned in any form or fashion. LOVE that gun!

·
Registered
407 Posts
3" 1911's have come a really long way and are definitely more concealable. That said my next 1911 is going to be commander length with the bobtail..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just picked up a Dan Wesson Guardian in 45acp for slightly over your budget and so far I really like it. I was wanting a bobtail commander, so that narrowed down the choices a bit for me. I might have gone with one of the Kimbers if I hadn't found the Guardian when I did (I have a full-size Kimber that I also like).

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I had a kimber and now have a sig (although my sig is the ultra) and love the Sig. My buddy carries the kimber now and it's been flawless for him

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

·
Super Moderator
19,451 Posts
Lots of folks have an axe to grind with Kimber, but I'm beyond happy with my CDP Pro II. More accurate than I am, nice checkering on front strap and back, and easy to carry being 10 oz lighter than a 5" steel gun. Not to mention it's easy on the eyes (taste being a personal thing). It's got over 1500 rounds through it by now and it should be ready for a new recoil spring, but the original shows no signs of tiredness yet. This one also sits on the night stand when not being carried.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts