Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some research I have decided on getting either a Spyderco Endura or Delica. Seems like either would be a good value. I have small hands. Also, thinking about getting a plainedge. Any you guys have suggestions as to which one? TIA

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I have an Endura that I've owned for 10 years. It's been with me to Iraq and everywhere in between. The only thing I don't like about it is that the molded plastic clip has spread open away from the body of the knife (scales); so it "unclips" off my belt or pocket easily. I think the current versions of the Endura have a metal clip.....I could be wrong though.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I think you have made an excellent decision. Either of those knives will serve you well.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you are going to carry a knife for protection, please take the time to get some training in bladed weapon techniques. Effective knife fighting is not intuitive, IMO. It takes practice; otherwise, you are much more likely to hurt yourself than anyone else. Sounds like you've settled on some good choices. Good luck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Get either an Emerson, or Buck/Strider. They both have GREAT warranties. Also, get some training. A knife is a tool, and just like any other tool, you need to know how to use it properly.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Either the Endura or the Delica would be excellent choices. I have a Delica (waved) and two Enduras (also waved). I currently carry the Enduras. The Generation 3 and Gen. 4 models all have metal clips

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for advice...

Just bought my first blade, a Delica 4 plain edge.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Something to consider in the future when purchasing a knife for SD is tip up or tip down carry based on how the clip fixes to the knife. It doesn't matter one bit what knife you have if you cannot access it rapidly.

I am not a big fan of the Delica as a primary knife becuase its kind of small in the hand. You may not always have to use the blade. In some circumstances the closed folder makes for an excellent impact device and having a knife that provides some meat sticking out from each end of your fist is excellent for striking as well as restraint and control like a palm stick.

Just my 2 cents.

Now that you have one, practice establishing grip and presentation A LOT if you ever want it to be there for you under duress.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Folders for Self Defense

I currently carry a Kershaw Blur for SD Folder. Am serious considering a Cold Steel Voyager in 5" plain blade. Lots of knife for the money!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Roger that on a Cold Steel Voyager. I had one as my primary carry knife for years. That thing is as tough as a Mack truck. It was a little to heavy for carrying in my scrubs. I passed it on to my son-in-law and now it is his primary carry blade. He is a roughnecker by the way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
To each his own. I wholeheartedly agree with Chris above when it comes to training. Over the years (even during my LE days) I carried a high-end Balisong with a homemade, leather horizontal sheath. I also removed the locking gate on the end as it merely got in the way during drawing and openings. Also, if for some reason I dropped the knife during ... an enconter ... , as the guy tried to figure how the two halves fit together to make a workable knife, I would have retreaeted to safety in other words - beat feet outta there! There are two real good training vids on Balisong (if anyone's interested), ... "Mastering the Balisong" Vol 1 - Mastering the Fundementals, ... and Vol 2 Intermediate Techniques. These videos were produced by Balisong experts Scott Brennan and David Miller. Shown are basics of the knife, quick and dirty openings. manipulations - basic thru advanced, and lastly, how to make a practice cardboard 'makiwara' to work out onm full speed with a live blade. It gives you the real feeling of slicing and stabbing substance that resists as you find your favorite of most effective attack techinques. Nasty business - a knife fight, but if you train slowly working to full speed with a live blade, your favorite 5-6 movement slice/stab technique can become second nature and hit like a buzzsaw. Please excuse my passion for the Balisong, but if it is allowed in your state, you might consider investing in a good one after training with a cheapie dulled and de-pointed on a grinding wheel. Thanks all for suffering the long read.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Slimjim, You stated that you wanted this knife for "personal protection". Not trying to second guess you but why did you settle on these two ?? Laws? Concealabitity ? Ergonomics ? Price ? Looks ? Durability ? ---------

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm waiting for the new Waved Spyderco Delica and the Spyderco Pikal which can also be waved. Mainly they will be cheaper than Emerson.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
N8R said:
I'm waiting for the new Waved Spyderco Delica and the Spyderco Pikal which can also be waved. Mainly they will be cheaper than Emerson.
I'm also looking forward to the Spyderco Pikal folder, it's a sweet knife.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts