Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new member here :wave: There's MUCH to read around here :hand56:

I will be obtaining my CPL shortly and would like to CC daily.

I'm curious about the subject of pocket carry, keep in mind this is with an XD Sub-Compact (trigger and grip safety).

Both my Carharrt Jacket inside pockets and Cargo pants pockets are large enough to carry the XD-SC and of course it's very concealed as well as comfortable, my concern is the unprotected trigger guard unlike what you get with a holster. Is this something to be concerned about? Of course using a holster combined with the cargo pocket is an option as well. I'm not a very big guy, 6', 170LBs so IWB carry probably wont be as comfortable/concealable for me as larger guys I'm assuming but I guess I don't know till I try it..

Thanks for any opinions/enlightenment :redface:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Well, to each his own, but I've never really considered pocket carry for myself. Maybe I've just never had the right pocket carry-able pistol. Options are good, but it's one option I've seemed to rule out.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :wave:
Pocket carrying in a coat is a good way to carry in winter time. I personally would use some kind of pocket holster in your coat pocket. I use an inexpensive Uncle Mike's pocket holster, size 4, for carrying several different guns in my coat pocket...The only thing I would consider carrying without a pocket holster would be a J-frame revolver.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm not a very big guy, 6', 170LBs so IWB carry probably wont be as comfortable/concealable for me as larger guys I'm assuming but I guess I don't know till I try it..

Crossbreed SuperTuck is a great IWB holster that just seems to work well for people of all sizes. It may be ugly visually, but we are not trying to walk around showing off our CCHolsters in public are we?

In the days of my badboy past experiences with carrying guns without any thought of obtaing CHL or getting proper training, I carried in my pocket a H&K USP Sub compact .40 cal or a S&W .357 Sig(Glock Knock-off). The H&K had several saftey options as well, but I was always uncomfortable carrying that way. If you are in a quickdraw situation and reach to pull it out then it may not come out as smooth/cleanly as it should. You may accidentally grab the trigger and shoot yourself in the leg. A pocket Holster is the way I would go.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When I received my concealed carry permit recently, I thought I was all set as to what I was going to carry: a Smith&Wesson Model 3914 which is considered a "compact" 9MM semi-automatic. Well, the 3914 is fine as long as you carry it in a holster which I did at first. But I kept finding myself in situations where it was inconvenient to have a holster on and the 3914, even though considered to be a compact, is definitely too large to carry in all but the biggest pockets.

So last week, I purchased a new Smith & Wesson Model 438 Bodyguard, a small revolver chambered for .38 Special +P. This little guy will fit in ANY pocket and now I find myself carrying all of the time. I have ordered a couple different pocket holsters (Mika's and DeSantis) based on recommendations by members of this forum.

I know it's not for everyone but, for me, pocket carry works well.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
18,108 Posts
Pocket carry is good as long as you dont leave the naked gun in the pocket by itself.

Always carry it in a holster.Always.

I personally know a man that shot himself in the leg because he carried a gun in his front pocket. It fouled with some items in his pocket and when he was exiting the vehicle he shot himself in the leg.

A holster would have prevented this.

There are lots of pocket holsters that are designed to cover up that trigger. There is no sense in not using one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pocket carry

I would have to recommend the S&W 642 Airweight. 15oz empty weight, hammerless revolver, 38+P. No sag, no hammer to hang up, wont fire unless you want it to, and 38 is enough to blow the wind out of attackers sails. There is a 357 Airlite model which is about 12OZ and $1200. I decided to go with the 38 as to ensure rapid followup shots. Besides, I dont want to pay 1200 for that much punishment!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Pocket carry is good as long as you dont leave the naked gun in the pocket by itself.

Always carry it in a holster.Always.

I personally know a man that shot himself in the leg because he carried a gun in his front pocket. It fouled with some items in his pocket and when he was exiting the vehicle he shot himself in the leg.

A holster would have prevented this.

There are lots of pocket holsters that are designed to cover up that trigger. There is no sense in not using one.
exactly what I was going to say. I have a LCP and I dropped it, naked, in my front pocket, that lasted all of 5 seconds.

I went and got a Blackhawk neoprene holster and pocket carry in that. The holster cost me all of 12 bucks. Cheap and safe.

ALWAYS CARRY IN A HOLSTER, otherwise you might as well change your name to Plaxico:rofl:

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I find that I pocket-carry (BUG) a lot these days - since getting a 637 airweight, and later an LCP. I do always use a pocket holster for two reasons - (1) protect the trigger and (2) it helps keep the lint out.

With pleated dress pants, even the 637 in a padded Uncle Mike's holster dissapears. It does require some new discipline to keep all other articles out of that pocket. However there's a significant tactical benefit, in that it allows you to be much further into your draw, without the BG being aware of what you're doing. I love unfair advantages :yup:.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Unprotected... uh... pocket carry

I frequently pocket carry a Ruger LCP or a S&W 442. I put them in a Desantis Super Fly or Desantis Nemesis respectively. For hip holsters, I usually go Galco.

Check out Desantis for pocket holsters.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I like pocket-carry for casual outings. In fact, I'm waiting delivery of a Milt Sparks PCH-RI. Admittedly, my S&W 642-P isn’t the best candidate but still.

I would never want to pocket carry without a protected trigger as the examples posted in this thread are to be taken seriously. My preferred choice would be a S&W Bodyguard variant, and not because of the single action option. I'm thinking the rounded shape of the frame may be easier to draw but I haven't personally tried it yet.

Milt Sparks Holsters
Regards,
Dan

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm curious about the subject of pocket carry, keep in mind this is with an XD Sub-Compact (trigger and grip safety).

Is this something to be concerned about? Of course using a holster combined with the cargo pocket is an option as well. I'm not a very big guy, 6', 170LBs so IWB carry probably wont be as comfortable/concealable for me as larger guys I'm assuming but I guess I don't know till I try it..

first of all welcome :wave:

I have the XD9sc...... i will have to agree with others though even though we have the trigger safety, and the grip safety. I wouldnt carry it naked... i bought a uncle micheals foam type holster for either carrying in middle of my back or in my jacket coat. just to keep it from being naked. Great gun selection i love it..

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Hello all, new member here :wave: There's MUCH to read around here :hand56:

I will be obtaining my CPL shortly and would like to CC daily.

Both my Carharrt Jacket inside pockets and Cargo pants pockets are large enough to carry the XD-SC and of course it's very concealed as well as comfortable, my concern is the unprotected trigger guard unlike what you get with a holster. Is this something to be concerned about? Of course using a holster combined with the cargo pocket is an option as well. I'm not a very big guy, 6', 170LBs so IWB carry probably wont be as comfortable/concealable for me as larger guys I'm assuming but I guess I don't know till I try it..

First off let me say Welcome from Central Texas!!!!!!!!

I pocket carry and finally came to understand that I need small and powerful together in one package. I went with Kel Tec P3AT and have been very happy with it. Goes Bang every time and shoots to point of aim. Power to weight is right for me when I use HP ammo.

Again Welcome!!!!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I like pocket carry, but only really in two positions. In outside side pockets on winter coats, and front pockets on loose-fitting pants.

Being in Minnesota, I find that the outside coat pocket is a great place to carry. For a good 8-9 months out of the year we're wearing at least a coat, and having a gun accessible in the outermost layer is a handy thing to have. Saves digging through your coat, a sweatshirt, a t-shirt, etc. to get to your IWB holster.

An additional advantage is that you can have your hand on your gun in your pocket if you get a hairy feeling, say, walking back to your car in a dark parking garage or something, without looking suspicious.

A couple downsides are a tendency of the gun in the pocket to make a bit of a thump when you sit down if you're not careful, and that you will often have to take your coat off. Having a pocket holster and a waist holster for the same gun is a good way to go, though.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
I guess from some of the replies here that not all states mandate a holster for pocket carry. In Ohio, you MUST have your weapon in a holster in your pocket. Even if it were not required, I would use a pocket holster anyway. Safer and keeps lint and gunk out of places it doesn't belong.:yup: BTW, welcome to the forum. Lot of good info here.:wave:

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think a lot depends on both the gun and the pants. I hear of people pocket-carrying the Kel-tec PF9, but when I drop mine in my jeans pocket, it is CLEARLY visible, even with a pocket holster.

If you do choose to pocket carry, be sure to get a holster with some sort of band around the middle - it helps it stay in the pocket when you draw.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts