Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried IWB and smart carry.. now i want to see what OWB is all about

During my search i came across this:
Galco Concealable Holsters for Automatic Handguns FREE S&H CON158B, CON158H, CON202B, CON202H, CON212B, CON212H, CON218B, CON218H, CON224B, CON224H, CON226B, CON226H, CON228B, CON228H, CON248B, CON248H,

I like the forward cant as well as the fact that all of the molding is on the outside so the holster is flat against your body

What do you guys think? is it worth the $79 or is there something better out there for the money

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Carried a 1911 in one for a while. Galco is soft leather, so it won't hold its grip for more than a few years. I like the concealable because it's cut for a 1.5 inch belt, which I wear.

IMO, a better alternative is the Aker Flatsider. Think of the Galco Concealable with a tension screw, stiffer leather, and half the price. I have two of them. One for a G29/30 and one for a 1911. Had them a few years. Been through hell and a few scuffles.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The Concealable is a very nice OWB rig for the money. I never personally thought the leather was soft. My friend has one for his Colt Gold Cup and it rides very high and tight. Dont think youwill go wrong with it. They also make a very nice model called the Royal Guard, I believe it is Horsehide. Same idea OWB though.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
It was the first holster that I bought for my 1911, because I needed one fast. It is comfortable as long as I wear a under shirt. They would be great if they made them with a body shield so that your pistol doesn't rub on your skin. If you can wait on a custom that's the way that I would go, they don't cost that much more and some cost less than a Galco.

·
Premium Member
7,400 Posts
I have two of the "Concealable" and LOVE them both! Perfect draw angle and a good sense of retention while still smooth and fast. When I opt for OWB that's my choice. However I also love my CROSSBREED SnapSlide for the P30 too. For those who own a P30 and can't find a "Concealable" know that the holster for the H&K P2000 fits the P30 fine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have two of the "Concealable" and LOVE them both! Perfect draw angle and a good sense of retention while still smooth and fast. When I opt for OWB that's my choice. However I also love my CROSSBREED SnapSlide for the P30 too. For those who own a P30 and can't find a "Concealable" know that the holster for the H&K P2000 fits the P30 fine.
Thanks for the info!
the snap slide has caught my eye as well.. do they have a sweat guard to keep the safety from rubbing your skin?

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
I have a Galco Concealable for my Taurus 24/7 Pro. A bit too much cant for my liking. A decent holster but lacks the quality of a FIST product IMO. As for the $79.00 investment, I'd say there are better choices for that money. The afore mentioned FIST for one.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I like the Concealable. I've used it for three years now and it's held up just fine. I like the 20 degree cant as it make for a easier draw from the 4:00 position, a more natural movement. It's very comfortable, holds close to the body. Fits my P2000sk perfectly. I use it on a Galco COPS belt.

·
Premium Member
7,400 Posts
Sweat guard on OWB?

Thanks for the info!
the snap slide has caught my eye as well.. do they have a sweat guard to keep the safety from rubbing your skin?
No but since this is OWB you'll likely be wearing a shirt anyway with a cover garment, so it shouldn't be next to your skin, right? Only with an IWB is that really an issue I would think. I wear my CROSSBREED Super-Tuck Deluxe IWB with a cover garment that drapes nice and square without requiring a tuck. Like a Guyabera Shirt if you know latin American fashion. It's almost the uniform here in Miami. I'm sure Miggy can post a picture.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
That's a very nice holster and I'm sure it would serve you well, but find one with a body shield. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have several Galco Concealables. I like them, they are a little more supple than some of my other holsters, but not too soft. The Royal Guard is an IWB holster. I like the forward cant and the open top, that's how I carry everything.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the Galco Concealable is EXCELLENT...i carry my P229 daily in this holster.....very affordable too......

Sweet, thanks for the pic. That's the exact setup I'm looking to get with the wilderness instructors belt.

Question about the belt:
what is the adjustable range on the instructors belt? I'm one of those guys who goes up and down in weight and would want a belt that can accommodate that.

i have a nice beltman but I'm too fat to wear it right now :danceban:. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a wilderness belt.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sweet, thanks for the pic. That's the exact setup I'm looking to get with the wilderness instructors belt.

Question about the belt:
what is the adjustable range on the instructors belt? I'm one of those guys who goes up and down in weight and would want a belt that can accommodate that.

i have a nice beltman but I'm too fat to wear it right now :danceban:. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a wilderness belt.
HI, thanks.....

the wilderness belt is PERFECT if your waist size goes up and down...because the belt adjusts on its entire length, not just on the next "hole" like leather belts.....

to get the right size belt, take a cloth measuring tape and measure around your entire waist, dont use your pants size......for instance, i wear a size 38 pants but my true waist size is 40, and that is the size belt i got....

and be sure and get the 5-stitch model, it has the support you need for the gun and holster.....i was all set to get a leather belt until i went into the gun shop and tried one of these...you wont be disappointed in the belt....and the Galco holster fits is perfectly

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mine came in today as an early birthday present. I really wanted a rig with sharkskin trim like Eric at HBE makes, but funds were limited. I got the holster, DMC double mag carrier and allegedly matching belt.

I say allegedly matching because the belt is lighter even though it's the same color from the same manufacturer. Oh well, it's decent for the price, and I like the open top. The lack of a body shield makes for an easier draw IMO.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Every Galco I've tried (3) have turned to pure mush after a couple of years. They are a factory assembly line using what I consider to be poor quality leather.

·
Premium Member
7,400 Posts
Beautiful Rig!

I have worn a similar combo with the same Galco tapered belt, Concealable holster and ammo carriers for years. For me all components have held up wonderfully, especially the belt which I have worn to work all week every week and everywhere after work as well. The only reason I have to DX the belt is the fact that my June 29th Gastric Bypass has caused me to lose 55 pounds so far and I may not be able to keep punching in new holes.

Mine came in today as an early birthday present. I really wanted a rig with sharkskin trim like Eric at HBE makes, but funds were limited. I got the holster, DMC double mag carrier and allegedly matching belt.

I say allegedly matching because the belt is lighter even though it's the same color from the same manufacturer. Oh well, it's decent for the price, and I like the open top. The lack of a body shield makes for an easier draw IMO.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Have one of these and a combat master. Too much cant for me. There is a point of deminishing returns on holster cant and this one is juuuuuust right at the edge. Of course the easy way to tell cant in a pic is draw an imaginary line between the tops of the belt slots and turn your head until that line is horizontal. As you can see, a lot of cant to that holster.

That is my personal preference. My dad has a couple concealables and really likes them. To each their own.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I really l;ike them,and the cant,because I wear mine at 4:00 to4:30,I have one for all my guns,1911's,glock 27,Taurus pt 92fs,M&P 40 fs,I like Desantis speed scabert better because it has a screw for retenison,behind the trigger guard,and it seems to be stiffer leather,I use both,..the desantis also comes with 3 slots on some models for the belt ,for those that dont want much cant....check them out at there web site,you can buy them on ebay allday long,used or new at http://www.gun-holsters.com/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.