Defensive Carry banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my wife and I visited SMKW this weekend. I don't get to go often, so I enjoyed myself while I was there. I bought a couple Spyderco's and a Microtech LUDT. I thought Microtech was a high end brand, but I can't find much info on the LUDT. I posted a thread on Blade Forums, but I couldn't find much there either, other than cs complaints. I am mostly concerned about long term durability and reliability. Any info is appreciated, thanks, here is a pic of my toy.
Knife Blade Utility knife Cutting tool Tool

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
My opinion? Mircotech makes a quality product. Yet, FWIW, one must weaken one's grip (hold by the finger tips) on an OTS automatic knife to allow the swinging blade to clear, and then re-grip the knife. If I was dead-set on an automatic knife, it would hafta' be an OTF. Me? I only carry (small) fixed blades as my EDC. Enjoy your trip!

Reactions: AmmoFan01

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My opinion? Mircotech makes a quality product. Yet, FWIW, one must weaken one's grip (hold by the finger tips) on an OTS automatic knife to allow the swinging blade to clear, and then re-grip the knife. If I was dead-set on an automatic knife, it would hafta' be an OTF. Me? I only carry (small) fixed blades as my EDC. Enjoy your trip!
I agree that the otf autos are a better option for SD, but they just never appealed to me for some reason. I have played around with the BM infidel and one of the Microtech models, they felt really strong and well made, but I just like the ots knives better.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Microtech makes a quality product but, as has been noted on many knife forums, their customer service leaves something to be desired. They also make it impossible to take their knives apart for cleaning without investing in expensive tools to mate with their proprietary fittings. If you're set on an OTS auto, and not OK with that, Al Mar, Benchmade, and ProTech all make models that are comparable to the LUDT in terms of price and quality and easier to take apart for cleaning.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Microtech makes a quality product but, as has been noted on many knife forums, their customer service leaves something to be desired. They also make it impossible to take their knives apart for cleaning without investing in expensive tools to mate with their proprietary fittings. If you're set on an OTS auto, and not OK with that, Al Mar, Benchmade, and ProTech all make models that are comparable to the LUDT in terms of price and quality and easier to take apart for cleaning.
I love my LUDT, it is my first Microtech and I'm not disappointed. I have been eyeballing Protect and Al Mar products as well. I used to own a Benchmade AFO 2, it was built like a tank but a little big for practical edc knife. The LUDT is the perfect size for comfortable edc.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I collect auto knives. The LUDT is a great knife. You can use it and use it hard. The L stands for Large. MT started out the the UDT which is the mid sized one.
Protech is another company that makes great auto knives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts