Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, let me clarify...I don't yet have my CCW license. I am taking my class on Saturday. However, in anticipation of of receiving it, I am doing my due diligence in researching what the best IWB holster would be for me. I will be carrying a Smith and Wesson M&P9. I don't wear undershirts, and all of my clothes are fairly baggy as I've lost ~40 pounds in recent months. I like the fact that the holster completely shields your skin from the weapon. I will of course be purchasing a gun belt...looking at the Bigfoot specifically...but am looking for comfort and proper trigger protection as I eventually plan to carry chambered. My M&P doesn't have an external thumb safety, only the hinge trigger safety. What is the general consensus on this holster? I really like what I have learned thus far, but I'd like to get external opinions, as this forum seems to be extraordinarily well informed. Any input is greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Love love love mine. Have 1 for my G27 and one for my G42. Everyone I show it to, they buy one. The retention system is awesome on it. Super comfortable. Can be taken out easily since it has a single clip.

Sent from my SM-G920V

·
Registered
779 Posts
I jumped on one quick after buying my XDs. I hate it, and will not use it. My biggest problem with it is the twist action needed to get the gun out. I have practiced and practiced, watched how-to videos, and have not been able to master it - more often than not struggling terribly with it. Others have said they have no problems. But for me not being able to get the gun out the first time every time is the deal breaker. I also do not like not being able to get a quick combat grip due to the high back. Other than that, it is comfortable.

I would recommend Stealthgear as a just as comfortable maybe more-so alternative.

Shopping

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Love love love mine. Have 1 for my G27 and one for my G42. Everyone I show it to, they buy one. The retention system is awesome on it. Super comfortable. Can be taken out easily since it has a single clip.

Sent from my SM-G920V
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Comfortable? 100% trigger coverage while stored in the holster? How does it feel on hot, humid days?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Comfortable? 100% trigger coverage while stored in the holster? How does it feel on hot, humid days?
I've worn probably 10 different holsters and this is by far the most comfortable.

I walked the streets of downtown Charleston, SC a few weekends ago for a few hours. 95° and 100% humidity. Did just fine.

As for the retention. I love it. It's almost a natural movement. Some people love it. Some people hate it.

And yes, the trigger is completely covered by the hard plastic. No way of it being engaged.

Sent from my SM-G920V

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've seen mixed results with this thing. I have one for my full sized M&P .40 (which is basically the same gun you have)
very comfortable, conceals well (I'm 6' 210 pounds 34 in waist), but I've seen people with shields and XD9s's have a lot of
problems getting a good purchase on the draw. For yours it should be no problem, the only consideration I have for you is to
practice, practice, practice, ..............and then practice some more drawing with this thing.
I felt very good drawing out of this holster practicing at home. I took it to a CCW class , and when going full speed
under duress I'd say I had a 40% failure rate. Since that class, I have gone to an OWB JM Kustom Kydex holster for it.
It completely surprised me how bad the retention system is on that thing when going full speed and moving.
I cannot carry in that holster confidently right now. I've decided I like OWB better for a full size so I'm not really using it at all right now
but if you go down this road be aware, drawing in front of a mirror at home is completely different than out in the real world
moving under pressure.
I wish they'd offer these without the retention system as I find them really comfortable.
For my shield 9 and XDM .45 I've gone Stealthgear, Onyx and Flex.
the Flex is by far my favorite all around Holster. Pricey but so good at what it does.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. I have also looked at StealthGear's products, as well as Vedder. But it's intriguing that the retention system would be so challenging. Just in my mind, it seems that the grip twist would SEEM natural, since you would sort of be initiating that twist when/if you had to quickly reach for your weapon to begin with. In the research I've done thus far, that twist seemed slight and somewhat natural. Though I do think that I definitely want the full skin/weapon separation that the N8 offers.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen mixed results with this thing. I have one for my full sized M&P .40 (which is basically the same gun you have)
very comfortable, conceals well (I'm 6' 210 pounds 34 in waist), but I've seen people with shields and XD9s's have a lot of
problems getting a good purchase on the draw. For yours it should be no problem, the only consideration I have for you is to
practice, practice, practice, ..............and then practice some more drawing with this thing.
I felt very good drawing out of this holster practicing at home. I took it to a CCW class , and when going full speed
under duress I'd say I had a 40% failure rate. Since that class, I have gone to an OWB JM Kustom Kydex holster for it.
It completely surprised me how bad the retention system is on that thing when going full speed and moving.
I cannot carry in that holster confidently right now. I've decided I like OWB better for a full size so I'm not really using it at all right now
but if you go down this road be aware, drawing in front of a mirror at home is completely different than out in the real world
moving under pressure.
I wish they'd offer these without the retention system as I find them really comfortable.
For my shield 9 and XDM .45 I've gone Stealthgear, Onyx and Flex.
the Flex is by far my favorite all around Holster. Pricey but so good at what it does.
Thank you for your input. I very much appreciate it, and after literally several hours of research I think I'm down to this or one of the StealthGear models. These are obviously more cost efficient, but that shouldn't be an issue when deciding on a concealed holster. Thank you for posting.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Interesting. I have also looked at StealthGear's products, as well as Vedder. But it's intriguing that the retention system would be so challenging. Just in my mind, it seems that the grip twist would SEEM natural, since you would sort of be initiating that twist when/if you had to quickly reach for your weapon to begin with. In the research I've done thus far, that twist seemed slight and somewhat natural. Though I do think that I definitely want the full skin/weapon separation that the N8 offers.
If I'm not wearing it, the grip twist seems to work fine. But I put it on at about the 3:30 to 4:00 position and I just can't do it. I tried it out again yesterday as I was going through my holster box, and nothing has improved. It could be my body shape or height where I just can't get the arm in the optimal position or something, but I'm not going to risk my life wearing it.

I read other threads on the subject and I'm not the only one. Others have no problem at all.

·
Banned
145 Posts
I tossed mine into the trash can. It needs an unnatural motion to unlock your gun from the holster. With my Glock 42 I just could not get enough hand on the grip to twist it to the right. I consider these types of holsters to be dangerous because when under stress you just want to yank your gun out and not have to grab it just so and twist it just right to remove it and then adjust your grip to shoot. Practice all you want at home, most will practice at first and then never again, but at home there is no life and death stress. Having been in combat I cannot impart how much different it is when it is real. Despite months of training, most of it went out the window when the time came to use it. All I could think of was to get my finger on the trigger as fast as I could. I pointed my 1911 and just pulled the trigger as fast as I could without really looking at the sights or using a proper two handed grip in a proper stance.

As a civilian few need extra retention. Any good holster will hold your gun securely if you use a proper gun belt which presses the gun against your body. In 45 years I have never had a gun fall out of a holster no matter what physical activity I was involved in. With an IWB holster there is no reason to have extra retention since no one should see your gun in the first place. If you are that concerned about the slim possibility of someone taking your concealed gun away from you, you are better off learning how to prevent that. Imagine if you were Zimmerman pinned to the ground with limited movement and were lucky enough to free up one hand only to have to grip your gun which is almost under your back in such a way as to twist it towards your body with limited ability to move your arm.

I wear my holster at about 4:30 and for me it was physically impossible to grip the gun in a way to twist it towards the back of the holster. Maybe it would be better with a skinny guy with long arms but not for me. I do like the comfort of the holster but would recommend their regular version with the elastic holster. There is rarely a need for a molded shell. As long as your gun cannot fall out when you turn any holster upside down and shake it a little, you will have good retention that will get even better when your belt is pressing it against your body.

·
Super Moderator
16,830 Posts
I have looked at them at gun shows and just do not care for them preferring all leather holsters instead.

Reactions: flagflyfish

·
Registered
204 Posts
In my opinion the most comfortable holster, even in summer. The twist release is no big deal for me. I tried the Stealth gear holster, but the N82 is the one for me.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I like mine a lot. Some draw and dry fire practice and you'll get used to the retention. I use it on my Glock 17 as my EDC. Considered one for my LC9s, but worried about having enough gun to trap and get it out. Sounds like I was not alone there.

Look at the double belt clip version. Mine rocks a little on the single clip. Bothered me at first but I got used to it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I got mine, I hated it. I didn't like the twist, and I couldn't conceal it well for some reason. I played with the can't and figured out the best position on my body for concealment, an was able to hide it pretty well. As for the twist, I don't feel that it is necessary on a concealed holster, but like others have said, with practice it becomes natural. I wear mine everywhere, every day. The trigger is well protected, and it is exceptionally comfortable even in heat and humidity.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It is THE most comfortable IWB holster I have ever used. Does a decent job of concealing my G19 and G26. I don't use it much since I appendix carry 95% of the time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have their Pro series holster which fits both my Glock 19 and 30S. It's fantastic and is very comfortable in the summer. The twist isn't that big of a deal for me. Their newer clip that comes with it is a big improvement.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
The N82 is very comfortable. I don't use the kydex (Pro) version, so I don't need to twist the gun in order to draw.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I have two N82 Pro holsters, one for my Glock 17 and one for my Glock 30. I found out from N82 after I bought both holsters that the poly-carbonate holster is exactly the same for both the 17 and 30 - the leather backing is larger for the 17 and smaller for the 30. They are extremely comfortable for all day wear and the twist retention isn't an issue with me. I recently bought their new N82 Pro Tandem holster which has 2 clips for for my Glock. I wanted to try it as I thought the 2 clips would distribute the gun and holster weight better. The Pro Tandem takes longer to put on and take off your belt because of the 2 clips and the piece of leather, etc. is larger than the Professional holster because of the extra space required for the 2 clips. Also, for some strange reason I had difficulty "finding" the holster opening to re-holster the gun. With the Pro model I don't have this issue.

After wearing the Pro Tandem for nearly 30 days I sent it back to N82 on their 30 day trial offer for a refund. N82 customer service is superior as are their holsters.

Order a N82 on their 30 day trial - it will only cost you the shipping to and from if you return it.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
i tried a friends and couldnt like it. The twist release was annoying, but it interfered with my combat grip, and that is a no go for me. Many others love them though. Try one, if you dont like it send it back

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
They are a quality holster, but not everyone's cup of tea. Buy one and practice with it. If you like it, great. If you don't, then it'll be the first occupant of "the box".

What is "the box"? Well, it's the cardboard box where you keep all the holsters that you've tried over the years that just didn't work for you. Trust me, you'll need one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts