Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and have been viewing for months. Love the site and the information contained with in. I am considering purchasing a Taurus PT-945. What is everyones's opionion on this gun?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Oh boy. That was my first centerfire handgun and very nearly my last. It soured me on Taurus ever since; I now wash my hands after touching one and spit three times when I have to say the name aloud.

Parts came off the gun while firing, it was inaccurate, and it was big. It was so frustrating that I nearly gave up on carrying handguns because of it. I bought a Beretta 8040--a very accurate, robust, and reliable gun (not much smaller), and my faith was restored. I've since moved on to HK and GLOCK, but that little 8040 convinced me that it's a good idea to buy good handguns.

I had the 945 fixed, tested it, and sold it with EXTREME prejudice. Hell, I nearly paid the guy to take it away...<g>

Obviously, I urge your to save a few more pennies and buy a top name handgun rather than settling for a Taurus auto. Their revolvers are really decent products, but the auto loaders are just a disaster.

I know, I know--someone will pop on and say they have half a million rounds through theirs and it's never jammed, etc. To these folks, I say this: Never sell it. I mean not for $100,000. I don't know what kind of alien moon rock/krytonite alloy yours is made from, but you've got the only one. Every other one that I've ever seen has choked when run hard and couldn't hit the broad side of an outhouse from the inside...<g>

(Kidding, obviously)
Dan

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Welcome aboard Cowboy. Can't help you with any advice on the PT945 but I do have a Taurus 24/7 Pro in 45 Cal. The only problem I ever had with it was solved by getting a couple of new magazines.

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the response. In a .45 cal what do you recommend? I prefer a 4 or 4.25 barrel to conceal easier. I looked at the Les Baer TRS, Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail, Colt commander XSE, and a Kimber Pro CDP although a little more costly I am now considering the Kimber or the Colt. Teh Les Baer was a little pricy.

·
Registered
40,080 Posts
"Some are in a 9mm not real picky about caliber I can miss with anything."

At last! Someone who admits he can't put 15 rounds through the same hole-in the dark-with eyes closed.

Your choice of weapon needs to be what suits you best. 9mm carries more ammo, less kick. .45 is a certified man-stopper, but heavier and bulkier. .40 is a great round but but quit the snap when firing.

Pistol or revolver? Revolver is simple. No safety, just pull the trigger. 5-6 shots.
Pistol is more involved (mags, safety, etc.) but more rounds.

My choice was a Glock 30. .45 cal, 10 rounds, little recoil, concealable. No "external" safety like a 1911, more like a revolver. Pull the trigger and it shoots.

Reactions: Starsnbars

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thank you for the response. In a .45 cal what do you recommend? I prefer a 4 or 4.25 barrel to conceal easier. I looked at the Les Baer TRS, Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail, Colt commander XSE, and a Kimber Pro CDP although a little more costly I am now considering the Kimber or the Colt. Teh Les Baer was a little pricy.
All I can give is my own experience. Save up and get a Kimber Ultra carry II.
It has a 3.5" barrel and shoots every time.
I have had mine for about 5 years now and it kicks less than the Ruger P-95 in 9mm I used to carry.
I had a hand full of FTF's in the first 500 rds I put through it, but I think those were due to my faulty cleaning methods.

I was just shooting it this last Saturday, and was able to hit a 2" target reasonably consistently at 50'. Not bad for a 3.5" barrel.
Sweet gun, doesn't fatigue your shooting hand, and real easy to conceal.

My 2 cents.

Reactions: USM1976

·
Registered
83 Posts
My personal favorite (and EDC) is the XD .45 Service (4" bbl). reasonable price, extremely accurate, easily concealable and bulletproof (so to speak) :rofl:

Reactions: USM1976

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I'd stay away from the Taurus... :gah:
I have a Kimber Tactical Ultra II and love it...I carry it quite a lot in winter... :hand10:
I have an XD45 Service with 4" barrel and love it...It's too big for me to carry comfortably, but it's my nightstand gun... :hand10:
My next .45 will be a Glock...either the G30 of the G36...:yup: :hand10:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cannot help you with the 945 but I have the 845 and love it, never a flaw with it and I have put many rounds through it. I know people talk Taurus down, but I have seen Glocks break on me (4 of them to be exact) more than any gun and I wont own another one so everyone has their opinions. I carry a Sig P220 Carry but I do carry my Taurus at times. Key to having a good handgun is cleaning, not only does it keep it oiled and up to par but allows you to inspect it for any problems before they are major. I am big on cleaning as the Marines DEMAND if your weapon is pulled out of the Armory and that as a child I was required to clean my weapons after I fired them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cannot help you with the 945 but I have the 845 and love it, never a flaw with it and I have put many rounds through it. I know people talk Taurus down, but I have seen Glocks break on me (4 of them to be exact) more than any gun and I wont own another one so everyone has their opinions. I carry a Sig P220 Carry but I do carry my Taurus at times. Key to having a good handgun is cleaning, not only does it keep it oiled and up to par but allows you to inspect it for any problems before they are major. I am big on cleaning as the Marines DEMAND if your weapon is pulled out of the Armory and that as a child I was required to clean my weapons after I fired them.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I had a 945, and had no problems with it. It is slender, and mine was very accurate; it was so accurate that when my older brother shot it, he wouldn't give it back! He shoots it twice per month, at least 200 rounds each time, and has had no problems with it. I do know Taurus can be a problem if you get a bad one.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
I own or have owned a pt908,957, 945. What can i say after thousands of rounds through them? Never ever had a problem. That's right, No problem out of these worthless POS.

What a 945 is, is a value priced weapon that goes bang when you pull the trigger. If you do your job it will do its job, each and everytime. I own more expensive guns and like them all, but if i had to have only one it would be a 9 series taurus.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I had a 945 about 15 years ago. Only problem I had, and this was subjective, was that the manual safety would come off at the slightest touch. I felt that the safety should take a little more effort to disengage. Now a new one... I have no idea what kind of improvements they've done in the last 15 or so years.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I owned a PT92 last year, loved the gun but sold it because I couldn't reach the mag release, and I bought it to use in competition, so the mag release was an issue. Never had a problem with the gun (that was the guns fault), it was as accurate as my Glock 34.

Last week I went out and bought a new PT92 AFS because I missed my Taurus so much.... Don't know anything about the 945, but as for Taurus, they perform as well as any other comparable gun. Some have had trouble with Taurus, but some people have trouble with Glocks, M&P's, XD's, etc., during the last two years of shooting competition (IDPA), the only guns I have seen suffer serious problems during a match have been.......... 1911's.

As others have said, if you take care of your equipment, it will take care of you. If the 945 appeals to you, then I say go for it, you could do a lot worse.

Sara Lou

·
Registered
908 Posts
Oh boy. That was my first centerfire handgun and very nearly my last. It soured me on Taurus ever since; I now wash my hands after touching one and spit three times when I have to say the name aloud.

Parts came off the gun while firing, it was inaccurate, and it was big. It was so frustrating that I nearly gave up on carrying handguns because of it. I bought a Beretta 8040--a very accurate, robust, and reliable gun (not much smaller), and my faith was restored. I've since moved on to HK and GLOCK, but that little 8040 convinced me that it's a good idea to buy good handguns.

I had the 945 fixed, tested it, and sold it with EXTREME prejudice. Hell, I nearly paid the guy to take it away...<g>

Obviously, I urge your to save a few more pennies and buy a top name handgun rather than settling for a Taurus auto. Their revolvers are really decent products, but the auto loaders are just a disaster.

I know, I know--someone will pop on and say they have half a million rounds through theirs and it's never jammed, etc. To these folks, I say this: Never sell it. I mean not for $100,000. I don't know what kind of alien moon rock/krytonite alloy yours is made from, but you've got the only one. Every other one that I've ever seen has choked when run hard and couldn't hit the broad side of an outhouse from the inside...<g>

(Kidding, obviously)
Dan
I've seen 2 Glocks about that bad, full mag at fairly close range 2 hits on target one upper arm, one hand. These were first run Glocks though, both had serial numbers under 5000, obviously they fixed that problem very quickly. LOL.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had a PT945. Never had a problem with it. I sold it because I thought it was too big to CC comfortably. I've been looking for another for quite a while.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Guns nowadays are so hit or miss.

My good friend is a sherif and his edc is a taurus 709 slim and he also has the one you mentioned. Neither have ever failed him and he swears by them. His son used a smith and wesson shield and has had problems with it jamming.

I've always heard taurus pistols suck but with guns you never know

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.