·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interstate 15 which runs through our area is a major drug corridor to Salt Lake City and points north. There is a drug bust there almost weekly.

·
Registered
41,235 Posts
More reason to make drugs legal, as some propose.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Making drugs legal doesn't stop abuse and would certainly not slow opioid deaths. No one is being prosecuted for usage now anyway, so we are witnessing the aftermath of effective legalization in the user community already.

We can learn much from Singapore when it comes to dealing with deadly drugs.

·
Premium Member
36,691 Posts
The drugs that are getting the majority of people hooked on opiate-based substances are already legal. The US pharmaceutical industry produces about eighty tons per year of opium based prescription medications. When that legal supply gets shut down to the users, off they go to see the patiently-waiting heroin dealer.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Illegal? They're prescribed and blessed! Forget meth or crack. Last year when I saw an ad during the Superbowl for a laxative specifically made for opiate induced constipation I knew the level of addiction/use was out of control. You don't spend that much on an ad to reach that big of an audience unless it's that big of a problem.

·
Premium Member
36,691 Posts
Illegal? They're prescribed and blessed! Forget meth or crack. Last year when I saw an ad during the Superbowl for a laxative specifically made for opiate induced constipation I knew the level of addiction/use was out of control. You don't spend that much on an ad to reach that big of an audience unless it's that big of a problem.
Such ads, whether through deliberation or mere coincidence (I strongly suspect the former) also lend credibility to the use of those opium-based products. Drug makers can't market oxycontin with superbowl ads, but they can certainly legitimize their use through the marketing of products associated with them. Narcan is getting huge promotion through public service ads, often provided for free.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Thanks Obama......drug use is truly a victim less crime. Let more dealers out.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Unfortunately chronic pain and pain management can be real problem for many people. Opioids can can make the difference between living a somewhat normal life and not being able to get out of bed. Current regulations do nothing to stop illegal abuse. They only make it harder for people legally prescribed medication from getting the medication they need. Wait that sounds an awful lot like some other laws that hit close to home. I don't have the answer but current policy doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
6,523 Posts
From what I can gather, most of the people with an RX pain drug problem (or those engaged in simply reselling their scripts), dont generally go to the kinds of DRs the rest of us do.

There are actually so called "script Doctors" out there. Their practice, (until they are shut down and their DEA # pulled), consists of virtually nothing else but writing scripts for anyone who asks and pays for them.

So, regular, ethical Drs cutting back on writing prescriptions for average people in pain are doing next to nothing help a "drug problem", as those people only see a normal Dr after their favorite script Dr is busted, and only until they find a replacement.

·
Registered
681 Posts
A lot of these doctors that are writing these prescriptions should be in jail. I've personally witnessed the destruction of peoples life because of pain from various injuries. There are a lot of alternatives to super strong pain killers that people would choose if doctors would completely explain the risk to their patients. I'm not blaming it all on doctors but there are many doctors out there getting rich at their patients peril.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Thanks Obama......drug use is truly a victim less crime. Let more dealers out.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
In at least one case , that didn't work out too great for the drug dealer

Reactions: SatCong

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the light that is being shined on this problem now will help bring it under control it in time. I don't think that most doctors want to see people addicted to drugs. I think for a long time doctors thought these drugs were wonder drugs and the panacea for pain, and it was not until recently that the ugly truth came out. I know of a local doctor that would prescribe the opioids if you complained of severe pain but now prescribes Tramadol, that I think is less addictive. One thing I have observed is that people even today are embarrassed to admit that they are alcoholics. People who hooked on opioids, however, are for the most part not embarrassed and are more open about their problem. I don’t know what this means except that it is maybe people feel that since they got the pills from the doctor they share less personal responsibility for their problem.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The OD statistics are lumping heroin with opioids, when in fact it's an opiate in order to try to move the entire focus to prescription drugs. Heroin use in Maine is at an all time high, with street prices at rock bottom lows with single doses as low as $5.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Seattle Wants to Create 'Safe Spaces' for People to Take Illegal Drugs |Heat Street

I had this captured from last week and could not figure out how to post it without going into a rant.
Makes me sick! We have starving children...........education problems for our young..........Etc Etc.

We just cannot learn from the mistakes of others or get out from under the liberal agenda and the dumbing down of American.

Cannabis smokers end up in worse jobs and have less money than average, study finds - Mirror Online

Medical use is one thing but Safe houses for crack?????????? :itsok::protestier::hunger::unfair::psychosign::lame::****:

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Punishment for breaking drug laws has become nearly nonexistent, so usage has skyrocketed. It's epidemic in Maine.
MAINE? Lets go with EvErY State in America.

Better yet, every city around the world almost.

One day soon, I predict it will be the fall of the 2A. The left will claim we can no longer have guns around due to the rampant drug use. We just cannot help these people quick enough and it is too easy for them to obtain guns for self harm or their addiction needs. :rant2:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts