Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you carry with an optic? I know I can be more accurate with quicker follow-ups with optic but not sure about carrying.

·
Premium Member
36,735 Posts
Yes, I've at various times carried a Glock 17, Glock 21, and currently a S&/W 45 Shield, all equipped with optics.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Yes. The only carry guns I own that haven't migrated to optics are my pocket snub revolvers, and when carried those are in addition to, not instead of, my standard optic equipped carry guns.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
nope...

I have always considered most pistol optics to be a "like" sort of thing and not a "need" sort of thing. Some people are simply gadget people and thats fine, its just not me.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I competed for years in USPSA and rode the wave of optics on handguns, going from a single-stack 1911 by Springfield to High-cap STI open guns with frame-mounted C-Mores. Here is what I know:

1) Optics only really help with speed and accuracy at distances greater than 20 yards; Case in point: My El Presidente times and hit factors were so close to one another, limited vs open that it was almost a wash. I know when I made Master in 1989, my time with a single stack Springfield was 5.5 seconds with all my hits. With an Open gun and a frame mounted C-More at my absolute peak in 1992, it was 5.23 seconds with all my hits.

2) There were other guys that had slide-mounted optics on their guns, but in my opinion you lost speed because with the action of the slide you lost the dot and had to take extra time to re-aquire it. I happened to do an El Prez with one such setup and my time was 5.8 seconds, down 2 points. I blame that on losing the dot during firing. With my frame mounted setup and a properly tuned comp, I never lost sight of the dot. Most of my time was lost on missing reloads, or movement, because I moved like a turtle (and still do, just older now).

So my overall point is this:

For a carry gun and carry distances, optics slide or frame mounted are feel-good tacti-cool accessories meant to assuage the ego and empty your pocketbook. As I learned in USPSA competition, inside certain distances the advantage of optical sights, even compensators were negated and the open gun was on a level playing field with their limited counterparts. The money you spend on that optic could be much better spent on practice time and/or lessons to develop ones' skill and attaining a proper sight picture which will lead to better speed and accuracy overall........

·
Premium Member
8,431 Posts
I tried a Red Dot on one of my shooting buddies pistols and i did not care for it very much. They say it takes a while to become acclimated to the new optic compared to the iron sights. At the ranges that I will most likely have to use my pistol in self defense I feel completely comfortable with traditional sights.
I am no stranger to dots as I do have a holographic red dot on my semi auto rifle.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yes, I have a front half and a back half. Together, when properly aligned with my target, they make up my optic.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I do not use them on carry guns. As a matter of fact, I do not own a handgun that can accept an optic and most of my handguns won't accept a flashlight either. At work, I have access to just about any crazy combination out there and optic do have a place.

I understand the red dot's place and usefulness however people need to understand the dynamics of most defensive shootings and optics, flashlights, and/or lasers are more of a liability than a help in these types of fights.

IMHO handguns are for close quarters defensive fighting however, a red dot on a pistol can fill the void in between pistol to carbine but it comes with limiting returns. If I need to use a red dot, IMHO it should be on my carbine not my pistol.

Now for competition, I have shot just about every combination, although I don't get optics on a gun like a hellcat, as they make most shooters faster and more accurate at extended ranges. This is the area where optics really shine however optics do not fix shooting related issues such as jerking the trigger or heeling.

Another area where optics makes sense is on a gun equipped with a can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
In my personal experience, red dots became extremely valuable as my vision changed with age; before then, not as much except for beyond 20 yards.

They're great for dry fire, too, and give instant feedback on sloppy trigger manipulation.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
19,589 Posts
My routine carry guns are government model 1911s with iron sights. Some of them came with night sights.

My only carry gun with optics is an FNH FNX-45 with a Holosun instant on green dot that is co-witnessed with the suppressor height night sights. It is my go to Portland to visit my wife's elderly relatives handgun.

I am retired and rarely go anywhere at night. I don't have any weapon mounted lights. I do have multiple flashlights stashed in every room of the house. There is a flashlight in the glove box and one in the center console of each vehicle.

·
Premium Member
36,735 Posts
Or you could come visit me for a weekend and you would be good to go!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I drove from Marion County, Ohio to Volusa County, Florida to learn it in a weekend. Eye-opening, to say the least.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I have a 3moa red dot on my AR pistol, and the stock sights co-witness with it. Other than that I have an LC9 with a laser designator.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Dumb question; Don't you have to turn on the red dot to use it? I can't imagine how that would work in a defensive situation. I'm not trying to be difficult but I don't understand how a red dot would/could be used in a defensive situation. I guess if you have co-witness irons you could use those and turn on the red dot if time permits??? Again I don't understand, if someone explain how the red dot is activated when needed it would help me understand. Thanks

1 - 20 of 43 Posts