Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a feminine bag/ purse to carry my glocks.suggestions? What's everyone think of the Big Girl Guns clutches? I think the patterns are super cute but I haven't talked to anyone that's gotten one. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
PLEASE no...gun in the purse is a HORRIBLE idea. My girlfriend recently went through her state mandated CHL (TX) training and the instructor said it was a great way to carry (mentioned in a thread about bad CC instructor advice), it is definitely not. Let's be honest, your kind carries much more than a sidearm in there and a quick draw of said sidearm is likely impossible under duress even with extensive training. Your gun needs to be in your mind in your "gun place" and your "gun place" needs to be somewhere on your body that you can get quick and direct access to without the aid of clear and deliberate motor skills and thinking. A purse isn't that.

Also, carrying a Glock loose in a bag of any kind or other garmet is VERY unsafe, ask Plaxico Buress about that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think a lot depends on your firearm. I have a flash bang, an iwb (the betty by looper), a thigh holster, and yes a concealed carry purse by Montana west. I carry mostly my compact 9. Easier to conceal, especially in this heat. I carry in my purse as a last resort. Although since I have my flashbang, I find I use it less. It has a designated pocket for the gun to keep the gun clean and to avoid any crap pulling the trigger so there is no risk of an accidental discharge. As with any holster, practice drawing your firearm and build muscle memory. My spring field XD will get more carry time th is winter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
My wife is a big fan of her Gun Tote'n Mamas Purse. I would prefer on body carry as well. But she carries much more with the purse. And purse carry is better than no carry. Her purse has a dedicated pocket for the holstered pistol.

But purses are like shoes and guns, your best bet is to find a place to get your hands on it and try it out. We found a retailer at our local gun show. After my wife looked at about 4 purses, she found one she liked.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I think a gun purse is more dangerous than beneficial. The point of carry is expedient acces to a weapon. If you are caught off guard you have no access, if you are robbed they get your purse and your gun.... more trouble than its worth. use a holster like everyone else and be done with it... your life will thank you should you ever need your gun.

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
Purses get put down. Do not carry a gun in there unless there is no other option. And if you have young children, or are EVER around children at all, this method is very dangerous. My three year old can open momma's purse, no problem. Story a while back of a grandma who put her purse in the shopping cart with her grandchild...kid found the gun in it and accidentally killed herself with it.

My wife uses a belly band or the Kangaroo holster. Both do not rely on a belt, which she rarely wears.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks purse carry is a horrible idea, that and Mexican carry are the only two methods that I will outright condemn in all circumstances except having absolutely no other option. It is probably safer to carry a loaded gun in a plastic grocery bag than in a purse.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
It is probably safer to carry a loaded gun in a plastic grocery bag than in a purse.
I'm not sure you understand what a dedicated CC purse is or how it works. Or you really overestimate grocery bags.

And men continue to wonder why women get turned off on guns and carry.

My wife simply does not want to dress around a gun. Not that she wears anything crazy. But she does not like belts, refuses to carry IWB, and is scared to death OWB will print. Heck, I make holsters and can't get her into one she will consistently wear. I carry OWB 99% of the time and she knows it can be done. I open carry and she knows most folks don't pay enough attention to spot a gun. She still will not wear it on body. The only time she will wear on body is in the winter under a coat or sweatshirt.

When we got her the purse, she went from only carrying when I basically badgered her into it, to carrying almost all the time. She's observant, so if someone is watching her I can tell you she knows it. The straps are cut proof, internal wire in the strap. The zippered holster compartment is accessible while wearing it and holds nothing but the gun. She can actually access the gun, have her hand on it, and it just looks like she is reaching into or holding onto the purse.

Now, throw it in the bottom of the bag with all the makeup, change, and kids snacks. Yeah, bad idea. But not all purse carry is created equal.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Purse carry is probably the worst way of carrying a gun. I personally cannot fathom if its a jeans shorts type of dress why a female simply doesnt do the fanny pack thing if she doesnt like any other way of carrying.

On a guy they kinda stick out some. Ive never seen a female get a second glance wearing a fanny pack.

Dresses, formal business I see the need for flash bangs thigh holsters etc etc.

But heck gals you can put a glock in a fanny pack and wear a string bikini,go swimming with the thing on and nobody is gonna think gun :image035:

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Purse carry is probably the worst way of carrying a gun. I personally cannot fathom if its a jeans shorts type of dress why a female simply doesnt do the fanny pack thing if she doesnt like any other way of carrying.
Possibly because fanny packs look absolutely ridiculous on anyone other than Hulk Hogan?

Barechested Muscle Arm Chest Leg

As a bonus...Chuck Norris

Army Soldier Military camouflage Military Military uniform

And there is this...
Muscle Barechested Photography Flesh Lifejacket

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Possibly because fanny packs look absolutely ridiculous on anyone other than Hulk Hogan?
I dont think I ever saw Hulkster in a fanny pack. Not sure I want too LOL. My wife, granted is a all jeans all the time sort of gal uses a fanny pack, not a huge one, all the time when we ride motorcycles which is practically all the time. Slides it around and wears it on her right hip about 3 o clock. She doesnt carry concealed when shes with me since I always am and we are always together but she still uses the pack for her other stuff she hates purses. Doesnt look ridiculous on her with or without the gun.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Looking for a feminine bag/ purse to carry my glocks.suggestions? What's everyone think of the Big Girl Guns clutches? I think the patterns are super cute but I haven't talked to anyone that's gotten one. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
OP, most of the posters here carry on-body, so you may not get many helpful responses. There's a topic on purse carry pinned to the top of this forum that has some info in it though.

The Cornered Cat website provided above has some great articles on holsters, including carry purses. Just go to the 'Articles' section, then scroll down to 'holsters'.

I hope you are not defaulting to purse carry under the assumption that on-body carry would require major wardrobe changes. This is not the case!! There are many comfortable and concealable holster options available now that allow on-body carry without a thick "man belt". Some of my go-to faves are clipless holsters (Remora or Sticky) and a bellyband. My Sticky holster with a 9 mm Shield is my current carry favorite. SO comfortable!

That said, if your chosen guns are Glocks, you have made on-body carry more challenging, because Glocks are wide and blocky. I love Glocks but trying to carry one felt like sticking a shoe box in my pants! :redface: For carry, it's hard to beat a slim, single-stack gun like the Shield. Concealing a Glock is still doable; just harder. This is why the single-stack semi-autos are so popular.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the female carry thread pinned to the top of the Concealed Carry forum here. Lots of great links posted there as well.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
I'm not sure you understand what a dedicated CC purse is or how it works. Or you really overestimate grocery bags.

And men continue to wonder why women get turned off on guns and carry.

My wife simply does not want to dress around a gun. Not that she wears anything crazy. But she does not like belts, refuses to carry IWB, and is scared to death OWB will print. Heck, I make holsters and can't get her into one she will consistently wear. I carry OWB 99% of the time and she knows it can be done. I open carry and she knows most folks don't pay enough attention to spot a gun. She still will not wear it on body. The only time she will wear on body is in the winter under a coat or sweatshirt.

When we got her the purse, she went from only carrying when I basically badgered her into it, to carrying almost all the time. She's observant, so if someone is watching her I can tell you she knows it. The straps are cut proof, internal wire in the strap. The zippered holster compartment is accessible while wearing it and holds nothing but the gun. She can actually access the gun, have her hand on it, and it just looks like she is reaching into or holding onto the purse.

Now, throw it in the bottom of the bag with all the makeup, change, and kids snacks. Yeah, bad idea. But not all purse carry is created equal.
THIS ^^^^

·
Registered
10 Posts
I carry in my purse, of course I made it myself since I didn't like the one's out on the market right now and couldn't find one that was made with camouflage.

If a purse doesn't have a dedicated holster inside or a pocket for a holstered gun, they are not worth it. And if a woman doesn't practice drawing the gun from her purse she shouldn't be carrying anyway.Putting your purse in the shopping cart should never be done anyways even if you're not carrying, it can easily be stolen.

Anyone carrying a gun (which ever way) should always train with the way they will be carrying a gun and also should always be aware of their surroundings.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a purse as one of my carry options. It's the Raven from Gun Tote'n Mamas. There is a dedicated gun compartment with holster. I do not put anything else in that compartment but the gun. It opens on three sides so that the holster (attaches with velcro) is easy to position with the grip up and barrel pointed down toward the ground. I carry the purse cross-body with the purse in front just over my right thigh. In this position, my hands are free and my gun is in easy reach by opening the top zipper just enough to get a good grip with my left hand, then rip it open the rest of the way while drawing with my right hand. And, yes, I do practice this draw regularly. My usual carry guns are a Glock 26 and Sig Sauer P238.

As other's have mentioned, purse carry is not the ideal and not my first choice. But, on occassions when I feel like I have to purse carry, this system works well for me and this is bag is one recommended by Cornered Cat.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
So, for all the talk about purse snatching I decided to actually do a little research. Interestingly enough, you're more likely to be raped then you are to have your purse snatched. Purse snatching these days is actually pretty rare. If people target someone's purse it's usually because they know you have something they want. They saw you with a wod of cash or buy something expensive and put it in your bag, followed you and snatched it. The point is, the bag is targeted for a specific reason.

I've seen women leave their purses in their shopping carts and walk all over the store and never have anyone so much as glance at their bags.

Do I advocate carrying in a purse? Not really. But I won't condemn a woman for doing it. I won't tell her she shouldn't do it either. I do it from time to time when I have no better option.

Get a purse you can sling across your body so it is less easy to grab and so that you can retain it if you get knocked/fall down. Have a designated place for your gun within that purse. Practice drawing out of the purse and acknowledge that having your gun in your purse may mean it is more difficult to get to in certain situations so have a backup plan for those times.

Whella.. problems solved!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.