1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I have that very gun. I bought it when they first came out about...say 5 years ago. I have about 1500 rounds thru her.
Lite piece she is too, better than having to pull out 5 bills for smiths scandium model.
Congrats ! You'll keep her forever...

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Matt - pretty good choice by all accounts - it should serve very well.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I bought the blued model of the same gun about three months ago. Have about 500 rounds through it and it is better than I expected it to be. You'll enjoy this BUG!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
artz said:
better than having to pull out 5 bills for smiths scandium model.
My thoughts exactly!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Out of curiosity, how much did you pay? I like it...have nothing against taurus revolvers. Congrats.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
My uncle kept looking at snub .38/.357's from Smith and Ruger's sp101 and kept complaining about the weight and especially the cost.
Then I thrust my ultralite in his hand, darn near didn't get it back ... 3 hours later he had one tracked down and secured in a IWB holster on him.
--------------------------------
It can handle +P loads. The D/A is quick, and it feels good in the hand. The stock grips are perfect.
I just ordered a De Santis Nemesis front pocket holster for it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
kenpotex - Very nice..! I went through the same selection process; I went with an older model new S&W M37 Airweight (Rated for +P but never use them...) I've "Rapped" my middle finger w/ the trigger guard one too many times w/ stout loads in an ultra light pistol.

Enjoy it..!

Eric Howland

·
Registered
262 Posts
kenpotex,

I think you will like it! I was lucky enough to find a slightly used Titanium
Taurus for a good price and really think the M85 is underrated.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WJP9 said:
Out of curiosity, how much did you pay? I like it...have nothing against taurus revolvers. Congrats.
after shipping, tax, etc. it came out to $385

·
Registered
17 Posts
Man that looks familiar!! I have the same one in my pocket right now. I carry it in a Mika pocket holster and love it. I happento find one at Gander Mountain NIB for $299 a little while back and am very happy.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, I got it yesterday (tuesday) and had a chance to go put a few rounds through it.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased. The fit and finish are pretty good and the factory grips are comfortable though I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them or switch to something else.

The double-action trigger pull is a little heavy but is much smoother than I was expecting. I'm sure it will improve with use. Recoil with Winchester white-box ammo is a non-issue. Next time I go to the range, I plan to try some +P's to see how it feels with those.

Accuracy was pretty good. Five shot groups at 5 yards usually had 2 or 3 holes touching. At seven yards I was able to keep the groups around silver-dollar size, give or take. Definately sufficient for a gun of this type.

All things considered, I'm pretty happy with my newest acquisition.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I firmly believe the Taurus line of weapons are underrated. Taurus has a great line of "most anything you'd want" kinda stuff. Also a lifetime warranty. What's mo betta dan dat ??

I had a chance to shoot one of the same weapons in a class about 3 weeks ago. The lady had been CCing it for a couple months and she stated that she "loved it". I talked to her husband on the phone a couple of days before the class and he told me that she was having a hard time controlling the weapon. I brought some standard velocity loads with me to class just in case they were needed. Sure nuff,she was shooting/carring some hotter 'en hell load and her weapon was rotateing skyward with each discharge.

Long story short.....she was taught a better grip,stepped down to standard velocity loads,and started using the single action feature (and using her off hand thumb to cock the weapon) unless the BG was "close". She still did real good doub-act at 3 and 5 yards.

The weapon seemed to shoot the heavier,standard velocity bullets, better than the lighter bullets also. It seemed to shoot to where it was pointed,and that's a real plus for the fixed,front sight post only, weapons. ---------

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Sounds like a winner Matt. So is this going to be a full time pocket BUG or a Summertime primary? I know .38spl is on the low side of acceptable defense calibers but when those Dog Days start up it's a pretty good option for a lightweight, go anywhere gun - and the +P is nothing to sneeze at.
Jack

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
maclean3 said:
Sounds like a winner Matt. So is this going to be a full time pocket BUG or a Summertime primary? I know .38spl is on the low side of acceptable defense calibers but when those Dog Days start up it's a pretty good option for a lightweight, go anywhere gun - and the +P is nothing to sneeze at.
Jack
I may occasionally carry it as a second handgun but it's really just for times that I'm dressed in such a way that I can't carry my primary (either my 1911 in the winter, or my glock-19).

then there's the fact that I didn't have a snubby and now I do :biggrin2:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good reason... nice to have a snub! :)
I've got a 642, but always on the lookout for another snub.
They just slip real easy into your pocket for those warmer months...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts