Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I ordered my new Springfield Ultra Compact today. It is on backorder but should arrive in about two weeks. I put it on layaway since I can't spare the whole amount right now. I will have it paid off in 30-60 days. Now I need to find some ammo that won't rip my arm off. What is the lightest load for a .45?

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Winchester White box at wally world is a decent deal at $19 for 100 rounds of 230gr FMJ.

Congrats of the ultra Compac, I fondled a few of them before. :biggrin:

I don't really think the recoil of a .45 is to bad.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
230 wont be that bad in it little worse than fullsize but not bad... them gun stores that have layaway i cant decide if its the greatest thing or a boon of evil

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Agreed - WWB 230 grainers will be just fine - you want good reliable cycling and so IMO no point in trying to get or use whimpy ammo.

Bud - Layaway facilities are the work of the great Gun Devil!! :biggrin:

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx guys - the white box 230gr would be great for practice, what HP would you recommend for daily carry?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hank - tho I carry .45 way less than many folks here - used to have Hydrashoks for ages but now favor Gold Dot 185"s. IMO one of the best expansive bullets.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I had an Ultra Compact Hicap for a while. It seemed to function best with 185gr. +P loads but I think that was mainly due to a slight increase in cycling time in a NIB gun. I've read that short barrelled 1911s seem to suffer a bit less velocity loss with 230gr. loads (in terms of chrono'ed %s) but there's so much conflicting info available it's difficult to remember what info came from which source.

Beware, +P loads functioned great in my UC but ... man, talk about LOUD!!! :eek: Hope you enjoy your new Springfield and it gets to come home soon.
Jack

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I did that with a S&W 66 several years ago. Heck, I even wrapped it up and stuck it under the tree! :biggrin:
Jack

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll probably just go to the range Christmas morning and break her in!!

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll do my best. I got some cool looking targets from Lenny McGill. Bad guys holding hostages, bad guys with guns, etc. I'll try to post pictures as soon as I put some holes in them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts