1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Good for them! Those folks have enough trouble without having to deal with other trying to steal what didn't get burned.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,389 Posts

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
It's amazing when you read the report about this on Fox News. I am constantly just flabbergasted by the "New Yawk City Mindset" and their conditioned view of things on a planet they never believed could exist in their wildest dreams and/or nightmares. They simply cannot fathom the notion that people actually have the right to defend their own lives and homes.

As far as I'm concerned, the criminal element can have the NYC pest hole. Never mind...that has probably already come true.

Way to go Oregon residents. Can we get that fire to sweep over Portland?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well, it should be painfully obvious to everyone...There won’t be Looters and, they won’t be shot by Homeowners. What will happen is the poor, poor little critters that were/will be armed and decide(d) to take the quick way out instead of letting the fire take them. Yep. That’s the story, nothing to see here.

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It's way past time for homeowners to take matters into their own hands because the mayor won't, the police won't and the sheriff won't even if they were so inclined, there isn't the manpower. I can say from personal experience In my neighborhood, when home robbers bodies pile up, word gets around. It's surprising how quickly things quite down.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
There's a place south of me that's had a sign up that says trespassers will be shot (It's been there for over 20 years). You don't shoot people just for walking on your land. As for looting, I've heard it's legal to shoot someone to protect one's property but I'm reasonably sure that you'll end up in jail for that anyway.

Reactions: G26Raven and kuux

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
It's way past time for homeowners to take matters into their own hands because the mayor won't, the police won't and the sheriff won't even if they were so inclined, there isn't the manpower. I can say from personal experience In my neighborhood, when home robbers bodies pile up, word gets around. It's surprising how quickly things quite down.
I don't think that police shoot everyone that breaks into a house just for breaking into a house.......

Reactions: Michael_Js

·
Registered
36,192 Posts
I don't think that police shoot everyone that breaks into a house just for breaking into a house.......
Maybe if they were braking into the LEO's house they might.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'm referring to looters breaking into a homeowner/renters home, not responding to someone else's home. I also did say robbers, and I bet if a robber/looter was breaking into a policeman's house, that person would more than likely get shot.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
"Looting" carries a warranted stigma of stealing from people who are already under duress from whatever calamity is going on, in this case huge fires. Often it's riots or other civil unrest. So, we get real mad and want them shot on sight. Cops are taxed so much in those circumstances that they can't be around most of the looting.. citizens see that and take the law into their own hands.

I honestly think we should be warning looters that we're protecting our property, but we should not be stopping traffic and questioning (presumably innocent) citizens. We should just be watching our and our neighbor's property the best we can.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
If you are so low on the scale of humanity that you would steal from people who are at the verge of losing everything you deserve to be shot on sight.
The only thing worse than a looter is a child abuser or a rapist. They should also be shot on sight.
I read an article about this recently. When the local authorities announce that an area is ordered to evacuate, the looters show up in the area almost immediately, waiting for people to leave. As soon as they do, the houses are broken into and cleaned out in short order.

What I would predict is at some point is there may also be "banditos" on the exit routes, because the evacuating cars will have a lot of the good stuff in them. My wife would be driving. I would be riding shotgun...literally.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Lethal force is authorized only in case of physical danger. It cannot be used, legally, to protect property. Keep that in mind when being questioned after you’ve shot some looters. “They were really scary, and broke in even though they knew I was on the premises ... “

1 - 20 of 29 Posts