Defensive Carry banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36,294 Posts
I wonder if the sale of backhoes has increased in rural OR...

Reactions: 4Bama and airslot

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Lethal force is authorized only in case of physical danger. It cannot be used, legally, to protect property. Keep that in mind when being questioned after you’ve shot some looters. “They were really scary, and broke in even though they knew I was on the premises ... “
It may depend on the state. I took an SD law class based on VA law and while we don't technically have Castle Doctrine, courts in VA have held that if someone breaks into your home with evil intent, they can be assumed to be a deadly threat. I can tell you this: If someone kicks in my door, I'm not waiting to see if they only want property. The range is hot.

And if I do shoot some looters, I will answer no questions until my CCW Safe lawyer shows up. One of their bits of advice to members is don't make stuff up or embellish to the cops. The cops want to get a defender talking so in the defender's adrenalized state he will say something stupid, or something he will contradict later, and they can almost always get someone to do that.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
if someone breaks into your home with evil intent, they can be assumed to be a deadly threat. I can tell you this: If someone kicks in my door, I'm not waiting to see if they only want property. The range is hot.
Someone breaking into a known occupied home would justify lethal means just about everywhere stateside. I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to shoot. Just make sure it isn’t a relative who accidentally locked himself out. ;)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I read an article about this recently. When the local authorities announce that an area is ordered to evacuate, the looters show up in the area almost immediately, waiting for people to leave. As soon as they do, the houses are broken into and cleaned out in short order.

What I would predict is at some point is there may also be "banditos" on the exit routes, because the evacuating cars will have a lot of the good stuff in them. My wife would be driving. I would be riding shotgun...literally.
Not only that but from personal observation, whenever fire trucks go to a house fire, there will more than likely be a car full of methheads trailing. They'll stop 3 or 4 houses short of the burning house, note the location and leave. If that house gets boarded up they'll be there that night/morning at around 3 or 4am. They trail ambulances too to see if they cart off the elderly. Watch, pay attention, you'll see it too.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Lethal force is authorized only in case of physical danger. It cannot be used, legally, to protect property. Keep that in mind when being questioned after you’ve shot some looters. “They were really scary, and broke in even though they knew I was on the premises ... “
Depends in what state you live. Even in liberal Wa you can use deadly force to protect life and property during the actual event of the crime. You cannot chase them down once they leave your property and use deadly force unless it becomes self defense but not to get your property back.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why does the victim need to decipher the thugs intentions? If I am in my home I call it a home invasion not looting be it 2pm or 2am.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts