Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it amusing how FOX News: Surprise shooting drill shocks teachers at Oregon school words it like this:

Teachers attending a meeting at a small school in rural Oregon last Friday were shocked when two masked men wearing hoodies burst into the conference room and pretended to open fire.
Where as the link to the original at Oregon Live: Gunfire and moments of fear as a rural Oregon school tests its readiness clearly paints a more accurate picture:

Two masked men wearing hoodies and wielding handguns burst into the Pine Eagle Charter School in this tiny rural community on Friday. Students were at home for an in-service day, so the gunmen headed into a meeting room full of teachers and opened fire.
"Pretending to open fire" and "opening fire [with blanks]" are very different (hearing gunshots in the distance being the important part). Either way the idea is stupid. Had this been somewhere like Texas, I can about assure you there's a good chance that the 'BG' would have been injured if not killed by a faculty member.

I'm fairly sure if any one of us tried to do this, "in order to test the readiness of our children's school" would be facing some serious jail time.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
In a related thread, man OCs in an Oregon school. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...man-legally-ocs-school-no-one-freaks-out.html

If he or someone else who was armed had been there and BGs were only shooting blanks, this could have turned out very badly.

We are prepping for an active shooter drill at my workplace. I work in a Federal building and so far we have involved the Memphis SWAT, Federal Protective Service, US Marshals, with a seperate notice sent to everyone else in building that has access to a weapon. For example, probation officers do not carry in the building, but they have weapons they carry when they go out on interviews. Those weapons are in a gun safe, but are in their office space.

If someone did something stupid like that here, they would most likely end up dead.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Pretty damned irresponsible.
Based on my assumptions on how the planning, coordination and implementation was done here, I'd likely agree. Try that in an "armed" school, and such an unannounced "drill" could end up with folks dead ... as it should in any real scenario.

But it begs the question: what would appropriate drills look like, to realistically test and evaluate a school staff's preparedness to deal with such emergencies?

·
Registered
621 Posts
A couple of things:

1)Fox didn't mention the fact that the students were not present. This rachets up the outrage irresponsibly. (The press on both sides really do a diservice by ommision))

2)As others have pointed out, someone could have easily ended up dead from someone carrying. There are a number of people who would rather get fired than be unprotected(ie. armed)

3)Now teachers are going to be hesitating in their reactions not knowing if it's just another drill. This can have the oposite effect then intended.

Reactions: Fitch

·
Super Moderator
22,511 Posts
A couple of things:

1)Fox didn't mention the fact that the students were not present. This rachets up the outrage irresponsibly. (The press on both sides really do a diservice by ommision)
I don't know what FOX article you read? The one linked stated;
"Teachers attending a meeting at a small school in rural Oregon last Friday were shocked when two masked men wearing hoodies burst into the conference room and pretended to open fire.

The surprise shooting drill at Pine Eagle Charter School in Halfway was designed to test the school's preparation for an assault by "active shooters," The Oregonian reported.

Principal Cammie DeCastro told the paper there was "some commotion" when the shooters, who were actually members of the school's staff, entered the meeting room and began shooting.

Students were at home for a faculty training day, according to the report.

School staff had received training from the Union County Sheriff's Office on active shooting scenarios, but many educators were caught by surprise and unprepared to handle the situation, according to The Oregonian.

Elementary teacher Morgan Gover told the paper that only two of her colleagues would have survived the shooting. She said she took several fake direct hits from the shooters.

"I'll tell you, the whole situation was horrible," she told the paper. "I got a couple in the front and a couple in the back."

DeCastro told the paper that some community members have criticized the drill, but she maintains the scenario was valuable.

The district plans to evaluate existing security policies and procedures and decide what steps should be taken in response to the drill, according to DeCastro.

Reactions: Naufragia

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Shooting fish in a barrel...:mad:

What did they expect? Two armed gunmen walk into a meeting of 15 seated targets and unload into them.

Just a ploy on the anti-gun morons to take away more of our 2nd amendment rights.

bosco

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I am sure the point of the drill was to show how much safer you are by cowardly hiding behind a desk.

Reactions: Badey

·
Premium Member
39,125 Posts
Darwin had it backwards.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
What did they expect? Two armed gunmen walk into a meeting of 15 seated targets and unload into them. Just a ploy on the anti-gun morons to take away more of our 2nd amendment rights.
Though, it happened in Baker County, and by all accounts Sheriff Mitch Southwick is pro-2A, pro-gun, anti-federalist intrusion on the 2A (one of those who's signed a letter affirming refusal to support any further/unconstitutional anti-gunner legislation).

According to the news articles, the Union County sheriff's department had conducted earlier preparedness training with the school's staff. But the town is in Baker County. The article doesn't specify which sheriff's department did the "active shooter" drill, at the school.

In defense of the Sheriff and the school's administration, apparently the training and planning had been fairly pro-armed guards/staff, fairly rational as to the practical options that face faculty in situations that could arise, particularly in such a remote facility as theirs.

Oregonian article said:
Gunfire and moments of fear as a rural Oregon school tests its readiness, Apr 29 2013

The surprised staff had received training from the Union County Sheriff's Office on active shooter scenarios. They had been told they had some options, such as not rushing out of their classrooms when gunfire erupted, and locking and barricading their doors.

They weren't expecting a drill like this, and they were caught by surprise ...

The goal of the drill was to learn how people would react, so better emergency plans could be made, she (Principal DeCastro) said.

It was a wake-up for many of the teachers.

Surprisingly, the drill made Beck aware that she would not have recognized the sounds of gunfire. "I would have blown it off as kids' sounds in the hall," she said.

The drill has since prompted her to keep her classroom door locked and to think of windows as escape routes, she said. But the biggest insight for her was the reminder that she is in charge of the youngsters in her classroom, and would have to remain calm in an emergency.

=====

The district's Safety Committee and the School Board now will critically evaluate policies and procedures and decide what to do next, said DeCastro.

Armed teachers is one possible outcome, she said. Or the district may get armed and trained volunteers from the community to watch over the school in shifts, she said. Tougher doors and better locks are other options.

Gover said the teachers tend to favor having one or two armed teachers in the building at all times.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Though, it happened in Baker County, and by all accounts Sheriff Mitch Southwick is pro-2A, pro-gun, anti-federalist intrusion on the 2A (one of those who's signed a letter affirming refusal to support any further/unconstitutional anti-gunner legislation).

According to the news articles, the Union County sheriff's department had conducted earlier preparedness training with the school's staff. But the town is in Baker County. The article doesn't specify which sheriff's department did the "active shooter" drill, at the school.

In defense of the Sheriff and the school's administration, apparently the training and planning had been fairly pro-armed guards/staff, fairly rational as to the practical options that face faculty in situations that could arise, particularly in such a remote facility as theirs.
People should definitely take more from the Oregon Live article than the Fox news.

This was a much more positive thing than many are giving it credit for. It was done is a way that didn't put any students at risk, and raised awareness among the staff that a school is not a "safe zone." They are very vulnerable, and now they know it and can adjust accordingly.

And line ccw9mm said, Baker County is a very gun-friendly place. My wife is from there, and I spend more than my fair share of time there. It's a place where you can carry your rifle to the hardware store/gun shop (yes, they're the same place) to get it sighted in, and nobody will bat an eye. I've OC'd at the Baker Stampede without incident, as well. There's no reason to think that this is an "anti plot."

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't know what FOX article you read? The one linked stated;

The article I first read did not mention that the kids were off. I'm not sure if I read the linked article here or off of Drudge which has since changed which news source it's quoting for the story now. My appologies to FOX and everyone here if I was incorrect as seems to be the case.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Only in Oregon or California could officials be 100% certain that no faculty would have been carrying.:yup: As mentioned above, had it been in a pro-gun state, someone would have most certainly been killed!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Only in Oregon or California could officials be 100% certain that no faculty would have been carrying.:yup: As mentioned above, had it been in a pro-gun state, someone would have most certainly been killed!
Says someone who obviously has never spent any time in 3/4 of Oregon. Read my first post. Virtually every town outside the Willamette Valley is more like Baker City, as I described it, than not...

And, just FYI, for the time being, concealed carry is legal in all schools in OR with a CHL.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Open fire in a gun free zone, what the H E double toothpicks do they think the unarmed teachers are going to do besides look for a desk to climb under. Try that surprise in an armed school, now that would be interesting.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but in Oregon, you can carry into a school with a Permit to Carry, as a private citizen (I am not referring to teachers specifically).

What if some of the teachers charged, beat, threw objects at, etc., instead of running?? Someone could have been seriously hurt. Stupid move, in my opinion.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Teachers Shocked, Frightened After School Holds Unplanned Shooting Drill

Has anyone seen this story?!?!? I poked around the forum but could not find this posted, so I apologize if this is a duplicate.

The Oregonian reports Pine Eagle Charter School in Halfway held the drill last Friday as children were home for an in-service day. Two masked “gunmen” burst into a meeting room holding 15 teachers firing blanks. Teachers only realized it wasn’t a real shooting when none of them were bleeding.
Teachers Shocked, Frightened After School Holds Unplanned Shooting Drill « CBS Seattle

So I have to say this and I hope I do not sound to bravado, but as a former Marine Scout Sniper, I ended up with some fairly advanced hand to hand combat skills. Granted, it was 20+ years ago and my IT + chair job has taken the edge away (quite an understatement IMO), but if I were a teacher in that lounge, having no bullets in me *yet* while these guys are firing, one of them would have had a pen or scissors in his eye socket, or something terrible like me biting part of his face off, who knows.

It is nearly humanely impossible for someone to invoke my temper, I have pretty good control based upon my observations of most people I meet, but this story makes my blood boil. It is absolute irresponsibility, dangerous, foolish, ignorant, and IMO quite mean. Someone could have had a heart attack.

I would not be surprised at all if some of these teachers end up with a mild variant of PTSD.

Arg, I am mad!

Edit: OK, I had to go find a story to level myself a bit and found this:

46,455 Background Checks For Gun Purchases Each Day Under Obama

There have been 72,005,482 background checks for gun purchases since President Obama took office, according to data released by the FBI.
http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwy...und-checks-gun-purchases-each-day-under-obama

EAT IT OBAMA! Wow, I feel better now.

·
Super Moderator
19,232 Posts
I considered posting this as well so am grateful you did.

Much as we want our schools to be prepared for any eventuality, this is a heavy-handed way to conduct a drill and gauge preparedness. Both the staff and the attackers could have been injured through such play-acting. I was considering the staff member who might be secreting a handgun in contravention of laws and policies. It'd be an anguishing experience to be dramatizing with a firearm loaded with blanks only to find oneself under fire from the "real deal," not to mention unhealthy.

Your scenario of fighting back in the best way possible under the circumstances and improvising with one one finds on hand is more realistic than my scenario. A blank-firing weapon comes off second best to a series of crushing blows delivered by a teachers' lounge chair.

It is irresponsible to compel a teaching staff to endure such a drill in the name of "safety." Someone's head should roll.

Reactions: bigsky109

·
Super Moderator
20,201 Posts
Is the same imbecilic thinking behind "zero tolerance" rules responsible for this ill-considered drill?

Can you imagine if just one individual who elected responsibility over rules produced a firearm and started shooting the 'attackers'?

Or if another like-minded, responsible adult grabbed a fire extinguisher and smashed the skull of an 'attacker'? YBYSA I'd love to serve on the jury of that civil trial.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts