Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the article:

The reality is that terrorist attacks of small and medium scale are likely to become a monthly or weekly occurrence in the U.S. and the EU as we close in on the end of the year. Get used to the idea, because this problem is not going to go away while our own governments are aiding and even funding the very psychopaths that they are supposed to be protecting people from.

and also

What is frustrating, however, is that even though these attacks are highly predictable, very few Americans seem to be preparing in any meaningful way to counter them. In fact, I happened across a clip of establishment mouthpiece Bill O’ Reilly the other day arguing that there “is nothing that we can do” to stop such "lone wolf attacks."

Some ideas here worthy of consideration, I believe.

Orlando Victims Died Because They Were Unarmed - Not Because They Were Gay | Zero Hedge

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
The only way to stop these attack is the way we stop them now. A person with a gun. Police show up with guns and end them. It only makes perfect sense that more people with guns on the scene sooner will end it sooner and less people die. Potential victims being armed and actively defending themselves with equal force is the ONLY effective measure. There is nothing that will prevent them, so let's dwell in the reality of the only thing that will stop the carnage sooner and lessen the impact. All the talk about lists and bans is ludicrous fantasy thinking that is just political posturing and idiotic. My brain hurts from watching the stupid on the news and reading it online. Reality appears to have no place anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
A second measure of added security is to avoid gun free zones (killing fields) as much as possible in the first place. While that is not always practical, it does offer additional defense in depth. If going to a nightclub or bar is more important than your personal safety, then you are potentially gambling with your life to dance the lights fantastic. If that is your choice, then so be it. But don't decry the fact that wolves are going to take advantage of the sheep.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
No! PhaedrusIV. I don't need to be out here touching no guns, run, jumping and dodging, cycling myself through training for an imminent attack by a formidable foe I can or can't see. WTS goes down I'll be a good citizen and call the law, and they will come and use their guns to fight my battles and everyone else's. I pay my taxes, I know what I'm talking about. And no amount of these rants are going to change my mind! This is America...jack! Git it straight. That's what the Government is for! Besides, they don't listen to "we the people" anyway! Puhh, touch guns...have you lost your ever-loving mind! I feel PTSD coming on, I need a pill.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Why is it anti-gun liberals on one hand say that guns in the hands of criminals are lethal accurate death machines that are so easy to use and kill with they need to be banned, but these same devices in the hands of law-abiding citizens are so difficult to use accurately that they shouldn't be allowed to carry them because they would just shoot innocent people and not the bad guys? I've heard so much ignorance and stupid on TV the last week I can't stand it anymore. I need to unplug.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Let's be real careful with the name calling. All we know is that a tragedy occurred in a Club where none of the occupants were armed except the shooter. This shooter took his time and killed as many as he could until he himself was taken down by Law Enforcement. I hazard to suspect that if the occupants had been armed a different scenario would have unfolded.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Let's be real careful with the name calling. All we know is that a tragedy occur in a Club where none of the occupants were armed except the shooter. This shooter took his time and killed as many as he could until he himself was taken down by Law Enforcement. I hazard to suspect that if the occupants had been armed a different scenario would have unfolded.
Name calling? I missed that. I suspect if 10% of the occupants of that building had been armed and trained less people would have died and it would have ended sooner. They were hostages for hours. If you don't think armed citizens can defend themselves against attackers then why are you on a defensive carry forum?

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
The reason why these things happen is because of the media attention it gets. All of the people who are doing these mass shooting have been fans of prior mass shootings or terror attacks. They all have literature and records in their possession pertaining to prior attacks. They all want the attention and their name and face plastered all over the media and all over the world. They want attention brought to their cause. The shooter in this incident was even reportingly Googling himself and the shooting while he was in the middle of slaughtering these people.

Isis beheadings, mass shootings, etc are all about getting attention. As long as we keep giving it to them these things will continue to happen despite what the gun laws are and irregardless of whether people are armed or not. If everyone starts carrying guns, they'll simply will upgrade to suicide vest and other bombs.

·
Premium Member
8,083 Posts
The Club-Goers died for many reasons we all know of - Gay - American - Views - and just because some people are filled with so much rage and find anyway to inflict pain on others been that way for centuries and will continue to be like that .

I am sure others here can come up with other reason why these people were killed .

·
Registered
455 Posts
We can't stop bad people from doing bad things. We can, however, reduce the body count, which takes away much of the incentive for those attacks in the first place.

In 1999 University of Chicago researchers John Lott and William Landes published a research paper titled Multiple Victim Public Shootings, Bombings, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handgun Laws: Contrasting Private and Public Law Enforcement. They concluded "The results of this paper support the hypothesis that concealed handgun or shall issue laws reduce the number of multiple victim public shootings. Attackers are deterred and the number of people injured or killed per attack is also reduced, thus for the first time providing evidence that the harm from crimes that still occur can be mitigated." (Page 20)

If you haven't studied their work, it really is worth a bit of your time. Its available for download from several sites. See, for example, http://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1327&context=law_and_economics.

John W in SC

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I don't know if it was because they were gay, I think this crazy person wanted to kill lots of people and this was the excuse he came up with. I keep hearing Obama talk about Americas intolerance for race and sexual diversity, umm, your a black president fyi, I believe the majority of people are very tolerant (you don't have to agree with it to be tolerant) of race, religion, sexual orientation, etc, if it wasn't being shoved down their throats that they aren't on a daily basis. Are their people with extreme views, of course, on all sides. As far as these psychopaths I think they just need an excuse to kill lots of people and they pick the group that will get them the most attention. You can't tell me that if they weren't able to hit the target they did that they wouldn't have gone after somebody, and if they didn't have access to guns they would have found another method, that's wgat psychopaths do.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I think the issue with American society in general (not just gays or the club goers in this case) is a lack of mental preparedness if something like this goes down. There were 300 people in there and 1/3 were killed or injured by one man. The second he started shooting he should have been dog pilled and his head stomped into paste. I know that's easier to say than do, but doing nothing doesn't seem to up the odds of survival. Just because you don't have a gun doesn't mean you are completely helpless.

·
Registered
455 Posts
These people died because a deranged person who had problems since his youth killed them. The scenario is to common, a person who has been investigated by LE because of his anti social views and speech or his radical religious beliefs is cleared to again commit these type of acts. Almost every shooter has the same profile when all comes out. Be it because of political correctness, LE incompetence or whatever it's the same thing, they have years of problems at school, work in a social setting yet they still walk the streets until they decide to kill numerous people. Seems pretty obvious who's to blame. JMO

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Orlando Victims Died Because They Were Unarmed - Not Because They Were Gay
Yup. Simply, that.

You either are capable of withstanding something on the instant of it blowing sideways right in front of you. Or, you're not. If wholly incapable, you're just cannon fodder and living at the whim of the predator who's targeting you.

IOW: physics exists, and humans are not exempt; if you want a better shot at survival, leverage physics to your advantage.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
It happened because they were unarmed AND gay.
IMO, they were targeted because the intolerant predator likely disagreed with their take on life.

Most of them died, however, specifically because they were unarmed and had no effective means of survival.

Had all of them been well-armed, very likely that idiot would have been erased rather quickly. A few "friendly fire" injuries (or deaths) perhaps, but there's no way it would have lasted hours and required SWAT to terminate.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts