Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday, November 25, 2009

OSU's Second Amendment Center Runs Out of Ammo [Robert VerBruggen]

Ohio State University's Second Amendment Center, funded largely by the anti-gun Joyce Foundation, has called it quits. Randy Barnett has details over at the Volokh Conspiracy.

Barnett argues that the Center closed because its purpose — to argue against an individual-right interpretation of the Second Amendment — was rendered moot by Heller. In NR last year, I detailed how the Joyce Foundation funded law-review symposia on the Second Amendment (subscribers can read my piece here).

Whatever the Foundation and Center's problems, I found the Center's head, Prof. Saul Cornell, very sincere in his Second Amendment beliefs and very willing to speak about the controversial law reviews. Even if Barnett is correct in his reasoning of why the center closed, I'm not sure it's all that sinister — my piece was before Heller, and I remember Cornell telling me something to the effect that he'd just as soon the Supreme Court resolve the issue so he could move on to other things.

After Heller, there isn't a whole lot to be accomplished, practically speaking, from studying the history of the Second Amendment (unless you think you can prevent the Amendment's incorporation or dramatically impact its scope). I don't think an academic institution should try to push the debate in a specific direction, but I do think such institutions should focus on topics on which the debate has somewhere to go.

11/25 07:57 PMShare
And for this, I give thanks.:yup:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Well, three cheers for the Buckeyes! I knew there was a reason I liked that state.....

·
Registered
651 Posts
I always hated Ohio State University, Only because I am a Wolverine Fan and Lived in Ann Arbor Michigan for 10 years.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Me guesses that them thar college fellas is pretty smart after all...they done knows a dead horse when they sees one...:deadhorse::embarassed:

·
Registered
243 Posts
How Long After McDonald v City of Chicago Will It Be For The Brady Bunch

Assuming that the 2nd is incorporated with Strict Scrutiny, any guesses on when Brady will close their doors?

Remember that both Brady's are getting up in years. Jim is 69 (and still seriously injured by Hinkley, being partially paralyzed, and in a wheel chair), and Sarah will be 68 (and a cancer survivor) around the time of the Oral Arguments (Tuesday, 2 February).

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Ah, some good news for a change. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I predict the Brady Center will slowly wither into obscurity as the years pass, but they won't up and quit, as they attempt to redefine, fine tune, and pare the right. There will always be loonies and extremists who can't read the writing on the wall.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
:congrats:

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
I predict the Brady Center will slowly wither into obscurity as the years pass, but they won't up and quit, as they attempt to redefine, fine tune, and pare the right. There will always be loonies and extremists who can't read the writing on the wall.

Hopefully you are wrong, and they will slide under a gas truck and tast,.,.,.,.,.,., Well never mind

Me guesses that them thar college fellas is pretty smart after all...they done knows a dead horse when they sees one...:deadhorse::embarassed:

Good one^^^^^^^^^

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! Patrick Henry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts