Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A fitting topic on this Memorial Day weekend.

Does anyone else here get emotional when they hear the National Anthem? ( Edit: Respectfully sung or played)

Someone wrote once that it takes on a different meaning for those who have served. I've found this to be true for myself, even 15 years after leaving active duty. I swear it gets worse each time I hear it as I get older (or better, depending on how you look at it). I was at a college graduation last weekend for a lady who works for me and they opened the ceremony with the National Anthem. I had to wipe my eyes afterward.

Every time I hear it I envision all those who have made the ultimate sacrifice to defend our way of life. We are all forever in their debt.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
The Star Spangled Banner

- Francis Scott Key, 1814​

O say can you see by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner, O! long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I often wonder to those who have not served, what Rockets' Red Glare and Ramparts were still there translate to.

Unless you have been in combat, I see that most USA Citizens don't understand the true 'color and valor' of that struggle that was written about by Mr. Key on that night in 1812 at Fort McHenery, Md.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
To the OP, blanco64, and without trying to hijack this great thread, may I also ask that people post the best rendition they know of?

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
I find it very stirring, unless it is hacked to death, Jose Feliciano-style.

Modest rearrangements that preserve the integrity of the anthem and don't let style override the content are just fine, like this one: Girls Age 6-9 singing National Anthem - YouTube
True. It's one of the few things still common in our culture that unabashedly celebrates freedom. It should be performed as a respectful salute, not a test of vocal skill.

Reactions: blanco64 and niks

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.

That's good stuff right there.

Reactions: blanco64

·
Registered
9,345 Posts

A Side trip on values from "THE DUKE"

Have a FAMILY FRIENDLY Memorial Day. Remember those Americans that have served and sacrificed. G-d bless our troops !!!

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
To me..... it is the embodiment of the friends i fought beside in iraq. It is the brothers i lost, and the brothers i made. It is the soul of every veteran from every era put into words that we cannot express ourselves. It is the blood that has been spilled, the tears that have been shed, and pain that does not end. It is a part of me, always has been and always will be. It is something i proudly stand for. It is something that i will write a blank check for, at the cost of, up to, and including my life.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
May I say to the OP, thank you for posting this thread! I needed it. This is not a 'Happy Holiday' for some of us. It is a rememberance holiday. Amen.

I would also like to add to the mix one of my other favorites!

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Brings tears to my eyes when it is done well............

·
Registered
9,345 Posts

Robert Merril whose baritone rendition of The Star Spangled Banner was the OFFICIAL anthem at Yankee Stadium for years.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I often wonder to those who have not served, what Rockets' Red Glare and Ramparts were still there translate to.

Unless you have been in combat, I see that most USA Citizens don't understand the true 'color and valor' of that struggle that was written about by Mr. Key on that night in 1812 at Fort McHenery, Md.
During July 4th celebrations, I've always tried to take a good while meditating on the original founders' challenges, what they saw those years, knowing their very lives hung in the balance, knowing that every rocket, cannon, firearm and knife they could deliver successfully could equate to liberty for their children for generations to come. They took down the mightiest armed force in the world at the time, on their own soil, knowing what was at stake, refusing to live without liberty, to take it back forcibly or die trying. Every "rocket" I see, these days, puts my mind back to those days, in the fields, where they took the fight to the enemy and wrought a nation.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
A fitting topic on this Memorial Day weekend.

Does anyone else here get emotional when they hear the National Anthem? ( Edit: Respectfully sung or played)
My initial response was no. I readily tear up when I think of the sacrifices others have made to secure the rights we enjoy and the American way of life. It pains me greatly that many others don't seem to value them quite as much as I think they deserve. Then I watched a recent performance of my favorite and realized I was kidding myself.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.