Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several posts on several boards from people who don't carry in certain places "out of respect." Out of respect for what? How are you showing someone (or someplace?) any kind of respect by voluntarily disarming? To me this falls under the same flawed reasoning as "I only carry when I think I'll need it."

This makes even less sense to me when talking about concealed carry specifically. "Concealed means concealed." Isn't that what we are always telling each other?

If the weapon stays concealed and there is no reason to present it, it may as well not be there as far as anyone else is concerned.

If you were to need it, how much respect would you be showing by having given up your best tool for defending yourself and/or others?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
I too don't understand that reasoning. I carry everywhere I legally can. Even under my choir robe at church. Nobody knows...so nobody cares.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
I too carry everywhere I legally can. As stated before, if it's concealed, who cares?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
I carry everywhere I can. Except where the law say I can't. Like Court house and Fed. buildings..Other then that I don't leave home without it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
I heard it said once "If you have a CCW permit you either always carry or you never carry". I am in the always carry category. And yes I even carry at church. Nobody knows I have it and I don't want anyone to know, therefore who could possibly be bothered? Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I also do not carry where the laws say I can't. Courthouse, Feb Bldg, Post office etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,741 Posts
I always carry (where legal, of course). I, however, constantly grumble about not being able to carry at the post office. This town doesn't do street delivery, so I must go into the P.O. Not happy about that either, but that's a different story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CopperKnight said:
I always carry (where legal, of course). I, however, constantly grumble about not being able to carry at the post office. This town doesn't do street delivery, so I must go into the P.O. Not happy about that either, but that's a different story.
FYI, unless your state specifically prohibits it, you can carry in the Post Office.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,741 Posts
mzmtg said:
FYI, unless your state specifically prohibits it, you can carry in the Post Office.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html
Thank you for that information. :wave: I'll be looking into this a little further. Might I suggest, this is worthy of it's own thread to pass the information along to those of us who didn't know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
If I don't have to walk through a metal detector, I'm not going to disarm.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,483 Posts
Older members know my thinking - I am dedicated to carry 16/7 and rarely have to disarm for legal reasons.

I always come back to the analogy - ''Why leave the spare tire at home today - somehow know you won't have a flat?" :wink:

Other major reason I quote for myself - it HAS to be there - all day and every day - not used? Fine. But should the day come it is needed, and that will by most accounts be unexpected - I sure as heck do NOT want to reach down to where it should be (in fact always is) and think - ''oh crap, I forgot to put it on''!!!

I honestly - my personal thinking - consider this all or nothing, within the limitations of where folks have to go, and work etc. No way can I imagine second-guessing a crisis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
I always carry when and where it's legal, even in my own backyard.
My wife asks why I feel a need to carry there and I just explain that I want to feel comfortable carrying anywhere, anytime, make it 2nd nature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts
The ONLY place I do not carry is at work. My dept. completely and strictly forbids it while on-duty. Apart from that, I CCW as a part of my body. I am never without it.

Break into my bathroom while I'm on the can and you WILL get shot! :hand5:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,807 Posts
Randal16-1 said:
I carry everywhere I can. Except where the law say I can't. Like Court house and Fed. buildings..Other then that I don't leave home without it.
I can legally carry at home too. So I carry there as well. I not only don't leave home without it, I don't stay home without it either.

That said I will be without for a week starting Sunday. Go to the airport and get on that big plane - can't carry. Fly to California - don't accept my license - can't carry. Go to Washington - don't accept my license - can't carry. Fly home on Friday. Brother-in-law picks us up. I am leaving a box with my handguns with him so that when I get to his house I can put one on. :banana:

To tell you the truth, I am a little nervous. It has been months since I have been anywhere other than the courthouse unarmed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,483 Posts
To tell you the truth, I am a little nervous.
I hear you George!!! Only just went thru that when doing the Tulsa trip. As soon as I crossed state line into MD en route to DC - disarm!!!

Airport, plane - unarmed. Stop over with friends in Denver - didn't pack but could have - but little point actually. Then next day to Tulsa unarmed again. Only when at hotel could I break out the piece and strap on. Then of course at the show - again disarm!

Finally when leaving once more, disarm and pack gun in baggage - so disarmed from them until back into PA. Stopped immediately over state line to ''re-equip'' :wink:

Best tho is - crank up the alert mechanism - and if possible at least have a small folder which I think will be ok except on the plane.

When you carry every waking hour it is far from pleasant being unarmed but no choice in these situations. I expect tho the trip will still be a great success - just dream of that return day when you get the piece back on - ahhh, the relish!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,807 Posts
P95Carry said:
Best tho is - crank up the alert mechanism - and if possible at least have a small folder which I think will be ok except on the plane.
I will have my Beretta Large Airlight Skeleton folder in the checked baggage and as soon as I pick up the rental car I will get it out. For the past 12 years or so I have never been without a large folder with pocket clip on my body. Ofter one large and one medium. About 6 or 7 months ago I really started to realize that although they were defensive weapons they did not have much reach. That's when I noticed the USCCA and CCM ads in my NRA mag and started looking into concealed carry. And now I only carry one knife and usually 2 pistols. I feel a lot safer. Part of that is just awareness, but part is having the right tool for the job. :yup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,068 Posts
mzmtg said:
I've seen several posts on several boards from people who don't carry in certain places "out of respect." Out of respect for what? How are you showing someone (or someplace?) any kind of respect by voluntarily disarming?...
And yet, how are you showing your host respect by dismissing or ignoring your host's concerns when you know they exist? It is considered common courtesy in some armed societies to disarm, as a sign of trust and respect, when one is the guest. In those cases, it is also understood that, as a guest, one is under the protection of one's host. I think this is part of the problem, in this country - people want you to disarm, but they aren't prepared to take responsibility for your protection if you do.

Perhaps it is true that, if someone asks you to disarm in their place, they don't respect your decision to carry as much as they fear guns. But if you carry in their place in defiance of their known wishes, don't kid yourself into thinking you are carrying out of respect for them. If you carry where the law says guns are prohibited, don't kid yourself into thinking you are carrying out of respect for the law. Survival is selfish; and, the decision to carry is, ultimately, a selfish one.

The decision to disarm in the presence of a respected host, and the decision to disarm in places where the law prohibits carry, are not, in my opinion, the same flawed reasoning as someone who only carries when they anticipate they will need a gun. At some point, it becomes a point of honor, and a personal decision, like deciding whether or not to honor an employer's carry policies on their property. Who are we to judge?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tom357 said:
And yet, how are you showing your host respect by dismissing or ignoring your host's concerns when you know they exist? It is considered common courtesy in some armed societies to disarm, as a sign of trust and respect, when one is the guest. In those cases, it is also understood that, as a guest, one is under the protection of one's host. I think this is part of the problem, in this country - people want you to disarm, but they aren't prepared to take responsibility for your protection if you do.

Perhaps it is true that, if someone asks you to disarm in their place, they don't respect your decision to carry as much as they fear guns. But if you carry in their place in defiance of their known wishes, don't kid yourself into thinking you are carrying out of respect for them. If you carry where the law says guns are prohibited, don't kid yourself into thinking you are carrying out of respect for the law. Survival is selfish; and, the decision to carry is, ultimately, a selfish one.

The decision to disarm in the presence of a respected host, and the decision to disarm in places where the law prohibits carry, are not, in my opinion, the same flawed reasoning as someone who only carries when they anticipate they will need a gun. At some point, it becomes a point of honor, and a personal decision, like deciding whether or not to honor an employer's carry policies on their property. Who are we to judge?

A private property owner asking you to disarm and disarming when directed by law is not "voluntary."

I'm talking about people who don't carry in church or private property (etc...) when it's legal to do so and they haven't been asked not to.

I'm just saying that I don't see why some places are inherently "inappropriate" for being armed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,068 Posts
mzmtg said:
A private property owner asking you to disarm and disarming when directed by law is not "voluntary."...
Thank you for the clarification. I was thinking of voluntary in different terms than you. I take your meaning. Interesting question. I'm not sure my reply would be any different, though. Would you carry in a place you know weapons aren't welcome, if it is legal and no one has specifically asked you to disarm? For example, you have a friend who you know, from past conversations, absolutely doesn't want guns in her house. Would you carry there even if she doesn't explicitly ask you to disarm? Or, a community meeting is being held at the Friends' Meeting Hall. No one thinks to ask you to disarm. Would you carry there?
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top