Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's looking to me as if a non-resident of NY state CANNOT obtain a CCW permit. can anyone confirm this?:banned:

·
Banned
305 Posts
Are you kidding? You're lucky to be able to get a permit if you DO live here. No, New York does not permit non-residents to get concealed carry permits, nor does it engage in any sort of reciprocity for holders of permits from other states.

Hell, my permit isn't even valid in New York City, which is its own little fiefdom.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I was wondering, I'm still legally a resident of NY, but I've been in the military for almost three years now. Is it possible for me to get a NYS permit still? Anybody have any similar experience?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Normally, you need to have an actual physical residence at least you do here. E-mail the NYSP. Remember that getting an actual CCW license in NY is a almost an impossibility.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Judge Willard Cass in Chautauqua County *USED* to mail order NY licenses to non-residents and Canadians. Don't waste the stamp - the county law department told him he lacked juristiction to do this and the practice ended. Alhough licenses in most of NY are good until revoked, these non-resident licensed had 5 yuear expiration dates.

Getting an actual CCW in NY ranges from easy to impossible depending on where you live - but such licenses are specifically not good in NYC.

The only exemption for civilian unlicensed handgun posession is the competition exemption in 265.20-13.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hor?

A1C Lickey said:
I was wondering, I'm still legally a resident of NY, but I've been in the military for almost three years now. Is it possible for me to get a NYS permit still? Anybody have any similar experience?
What is your 'home of record'?? Where do you vote??

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hey Guys (and Gals), lookit: NY and NJ don't NEED CCW because crime is almost unheard of in those places. Right?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My home of record is Cornwall, NY (Orange County) and I vote in NYS. (Speaking of which, I just got my voter's card....have to renew that.) However, I've been out of state for over three years.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Check OC Shooters

Contact Orange co shooters at link below and they can give you the info on permits in Orange co.

http://www.ocshooters.com/

As said before, some counties, especially those in rural areas, give unrestricted permits. I would hope that your military service would entitle you to one no matter what the situation in the county.

God bless you and a heart-felt thank you for your service to our country!

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
A1C...
Why not get NH and/or FL in addition to your AZ(?) permit...any reason why you maintain NYS residency? I wouldn't give'em my tax dollars if I didn't have to. IL (my HOR, :gah: ) doesn't tax military pay.

Mike in VA

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Non residents cannot get a NYS/NYC permit.
Nor are permits from any other state valid anywhere in NYS/NYC.
Since the passage of HR218 out of state police/peace officers can carry anywhere in the state/city.
And that is just the way things are here in the Empire State.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts