Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be driving through TN and western NC. Can anyone help me understand this TVA property restriction?

Are these properties well marked? Are they common outdoor rrecreation areas? I'll mostly be around the Pisgah National Forest area.

Handguns.us has a sticky here, so no need to link it. (Thanks Gary!)

·
Registered
862 Posts
TVA has resently changed their weapons on property resrictions. Most TVA properties are well marked with what you can and can not do. I live about .5 mile from TVA property. The signs used to say "No Firearms". Now it says something like follow local and state laws.

TVA Rules
TVA campgrounds may receive use by hunters during hunting season. While firearms and weapons are generally prohibited, possession of firearms and other weapons associated with in-season hunting excursions are permissible if they are unloaded and properly cased. Possession of firearms at TVA public boat ramps (and associated roads and parking areas when used in conjunction with a boat ramp) is allowed if the possession complies with the law of the state where the boat ramp is located and is not otherwise prohibited by law. Otherwise firearms and weapons are prohibited.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
The other thing in No. Carolina is the Indian lands .... which traveling thru should be fine, but ... outside of that subject to the Tribes and their rules.
When I contacted them about it ..... I got the flat comment " we don't want any white men with guns on our lands, only if you are Indian". I told the rather abrupt and nasty gentleman that I was talking to .... OK, well then I can't have a gun on the Tribal land but my grandkids are OK... got it. He cussed and screamed for about 10 min .... about how that meant "them too" ..... and I told him, but they are members of the 5 Tribes and are Choctaw.... you said anyone who has Indian blood can have guns on Tribal Land ..... you telling me now that's not true ?

I just altered my plans, and decided to forget No. Carolina, because too much of it is subject to Tribal lands.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
And with that I'll add that in nearly a dozen different interactions with tribal law enforcement agencies I've had nothing but a professional response in all cases. The standard response is they choose to follow the same laws as the state of North Carolina.

Sorry to hear that Eagleks had a less that optimal experience but It's not the norm for dealing with the tribal law enforcement groups.

Edited to add, here's the tribal laws on their opinion on concealed carry. Note item "C" of section 14-34.11 where they state they follow NC article 54B which is the concealed carry section of NC statutes.

https://www.municode.com/library/nc/cherokee_indians_eastern_band/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICOOR_CH14CRLA_ARTVIIIWEOF_S14-34.11AGWEOF

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The other thing in No. Carolina is the Indian lands .... which traveling thru should be fine, but ... outside of that subject to the Tribes and their rules.
When I contacted them about it ..... I got the flat comment " we don't want any white men with guns on our lands, only if you are Indian". I told the rather abrupt and nasty gentleman that I was talking to .... OK, well then I can't have a gun on the Tribal land but my grandkids are OK... got it. He cussed and screamed for about 10 min .... about how that meant "them too" ..... and I told him, but they are members of the 5 Tribes and are Choctaw.... you said anyone who has Indian blood can have guns on Tribal Land ..... you telling me now that's not true ?

I just altered my plans, and decided to forget No. Carolina, because too much of it is subject to Tribal lands.
I looked into this a couple years ago and what I found was in regards to firearms the Reservations follow local law and carry is ok, I also called their law enforcement and was told this as well.
Sorry don't have the link but you will find this as well on handgunlaw.us, it's not on the NC page but somewhere on there you will find info on tribal lands.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

The only official tribal land I am aware of in NC is the Qualla Boundary which is the home of the Eastern Band of the Cherokee. It has been stated by several people that there is no problem carrying there and I have personally never had an issue. Why would you sit and listen to someone rant and curse for 10 minutes? My limit is about 5 seconds.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I've been down to the Cherokee area a number of times on my motorcycle . Its only a small part of NC any how and your legal to CC there unless business are posted NO Handguns and never had an issue .

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I passed over a dam and over spill. It was well signed "no firearms, alcohol. .."

The recreational area was well signed to begin and end the "no hunting zone". Not that I am hunting.

Glad I'm here in the early spring. It's getting comfortably warm, if a bit humid. :wave:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts

lol Can I carry one.... I'm not a white man...

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
lol Can I carry one.... I'm not a white man...
You would have to ask them, if you got that guy, I'm sure he would tell you in no uncertain terms you couldn't.

I did wonder that too ... and I asked him what made him think I was white ....... he didn't have an answer to that ... that's when he hung up. I actually did ask and . He was a very cantankerous nasty-attitude guy. Reminded me of a similar attitude I ran into once in a Indian town in Montana on a Reservation .... very hostile. Can't say that has been a general attitude I've run into at all ... just select people in certain areas. Tribes in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma are much more friendly. I just decided since that was the area we would be mostly in, was not fond of the idea of being unarmed, and if this guy represented the attitude there then why give them any of my money and deal with the aggravation. WE were meeting a LOT of other people I know, and about 1/2 of them decided not to go either. Too many other places in the USA to go to and enjoy. We all ended up in Arkansas. I did write the Tribal Council on it, and asked if that was the guy they really wanted representing them to the general public..... they never replied, which said a lot to me.

Real point being, I wouldn't expect a "gun friendly" environment on the Tribal Lands, and a lot of Tribal Lands there.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A. Pisgah National Forest is amazing. It was so easy to camp. Waterfalls everywhere. So many trails, and it is somewhat undeveloped. Not the bike path I sometimes see in public forests.

B. No problem with anti gun signage in NC. TVA property was about it, and easily recognized.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
As a former resident of Western NC I wouldn't waste any time going to Cherokee. There are a lot better places and sights to see in the area than Cherokee. The gem mines near Franklin and hiking the waterfalls in the Highlands/ Cashiers area are great! Lake Chatuge near Hayesville is beautiful as well. The Great Smoky Mountain Railroad which has steam locomotives make a great day trip throught the Nantahala Gorge.
Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Your moving from one hot humid area to another with some of the same warm weather conditions found down in south florida. Should moved to the mid mountains . Less of a worry of tornados , or hurricane side effects and in the valleys the wind stay under control too HA !! At least you will get a little bit of winter over there in cary even late in the march you can get some snow and ice to keep things cooler . I don't miss the 9+ months of summer and a 2+ months of fall to spring south florida has !!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Your moving from one hot humid area to another with some of the same warm weather conditions found down in south florida. Should moved to the mid mountains . Less of a worry of tornados , or hurricane side effects and in the valleys the wind stay under control too HA !! At least you will get a little bit of winter over there in cary even late in the march you can get some snow and ice to keep things cooler . I don't miss the 9+ months of summer and a 2+ months of fall to spring south florida has !!
This is all incorrect and bad wrong. The foothills and mountains average 90 degrees plus all year, they have the worst cockroaches and mosquitoes of any state and there is an average of 47 cat 4 hurricanes in those areas a year, the rest of the time there's tornadoes to move the rubble around.

(dang hardluk1, you tryin to start a stampeed out of the south? :wink:)

Reactions: CWOUSCG

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I'm actually retiering and relocating to Cary NC.... I guess I'll find out first hand
Huh. I thought you were a retired NYC cop who moved to FL like the rest of em!

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
When it says "Reservation" the tribes have say over it... and can enforce what they want. I went by where the reservations were noted, and it was not all that small. There are a lot of Reservations in Okla , New Mexico and Arizona, but they don't care ..... they go by the State laws. In Montana, I found one area I was in it was definitely a no go as far as they were concerned, but didn't care if you were on a major highway and stayed on it.

My grandson is old enough now, I would just claim they are his ... and we'ld be ok, as long as it wasn't 'on' me.
He's a tribal member - Choctaw and registered in the 5 Nations. He has his cards he can show them. And he knows how to use guns well.

Just planned a trip with some friends, looks like I'll be calling them again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts