Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My very first post. Thanks in advance for advice and please be patient with me if I am being obtuse here,.

I am traveling from Utah to Dallas, Texas, where I will attend a three-day conference. Texas recognizes Utah CCL, so no problem there. The hotel I am staying at requires guests with firearms to surrender them to hotel security.

"Any firearm, whether it is a handgun or a long-barreled gun, carried onto the premises must be surrendered to hotel security for safekeeping. A guest who fails to abide by this policy may be asked to leave the premises."

So, any time I am outside of the hotel I will have my weapon, but is it worth the hassle if I have to check it in with the hotel every time I walk in the door? On the other hand, what they don't know won't hurt them and I can always surrender to security if it is noticed. "Concealed", being the operative word here.

The questions is, is it worth it to take my gun with me considering the hotel policy, or should I leave it at home. Considering the recent events in Dallas, I am leaning towards bringing it.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I use to travel a lot and whenever I flew I left my guns at home. It got to be such a hassle that it wasn't worth it. We usually didn't have a safe in the room. The company didn't want you to carry it on the work site. We weren't supposed to have them in the company car.

If I drove I usually took my own truck and it has a gun safe in it. It wasn't a problem.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I don't see it as being a problem, I've had to do it before. What I wouldn't do is ignore the rules and carry anyway. First off they have the right as property owner to make the rules. Secondly, by breaking the rules you give the concealed carry community a bad name. You represent us all, and if more people start disregarding their request, they may just ban firearms altogether. I've had to quit going to certain businesses because of other concealed carriers ruining it for everyone. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Know the laws of the states you travel to.

In some states you will not be able to legally enter the premisis with your firearm .

I cannot imagine any circumstances where there is an actual law that would call for surrendering your firearm to the hotel.
Personally I would never surrender my firearm to a hotel or any other establishment for any reason.

·
Super Moderator
19,384 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

What an unfortunate hotel policy. I wonder if it's owned by Soros or his kind. So every time you arrive at the hotel, ready to walk in, you have to call their security and have them take your gun, then provide it to you when you go out again? I wonder how long they'll make you wait for each transfer. I'm curious if you do the handovers in either direction in the hotel lobby for all to see. And what about clearing the gun before handing it over, then reloading it - where's that going to happen?

It would be so much easier to use a safe if one is provided in the room. Do let us know how this works out for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Know the laws of the states you travel to.

In some states you will not be able to legally enter the premisis with your firearm .

I cannot imagine any circumstances where there is an actual law that would call for surrendering your firearm to the hotel.
Personally I would never surrender my firearm to a hotel or any other establishment for any reason.
The hotel said they keep the firearm in a safety deposit box near the front desk that only hotel security and myself have a key to. They admitted that if I bring it in my luggage and keep in my room safe, they have no way of knowing it is there, but if I am seen carrying they will call the police. Sounds like he was encouraging me to take it to my room.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see it as being a problem, I've had to do it before. What I wouldn't do is ignore the rules and carry anyway. First off they have the right as property owner to make the rules. Secondly, by breaking the rules you give the concealed carry community a bad name. You represent us all, and if more people start disregarding their request, they may just ban firearms altogether. I've had to quit going to certain businesses because of other concealed carriers ruining it for everyone. Just my two cents.
Thanks, marshallman. That is a good point about being aware of the CC community. i had hoped, they would just ask me to turn it in if seen carrying, but if they are calling the police, I will not risk that. In Utah, if you are caught "violating private property policy" about carrying, they will just ask you to leave.

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
First, welcome to the forum!

A quick search of Handgunlaw.us shows that signs hold the force of law in TX. If the hotel is properly posted, it is illegal to carry on the site. It also appears that under the law the hotel would need to notify you and you refuse to leave to be charged.

If the hotel is not posted, then it is only a hotel policy. Policies do not hold the force of law.

Personally, I would look into whether or not the hotel is posted. If it isn't, I would carry concealed and take my chances with being asked to leave. Of course, this assumes you don't work for the hotel and that you don't stand to lose employment over an issue. You clearly need to make this decision for yourself.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The hotel said they keep the firearm in a safety deposit box near the front desk that only hotel security and myself have a key to. They admitted that if I bring it in my luggage and keep in my room safe, they have no way of knowing it is there, but if I am seen carrying they will call the police. Sounds like he was encouraging me to take it to my room.
If the policy they have in place carries the force of law in that stateI would just go to another hotel that does not prohibit you.

If their policy carries no force of law and they are calling the police only because you violated their POLICY then in my mind the hotel is guilty of swatting .
I would just find another hotel where it is not an issue.
Traveling out of state is not the time to make a 2A stand.

That being said if their policy caries no force of law they have no legal ability to force you to surrender your property to them.

If you think that the hotel is sending you an underlying message to keep your firearm concealed it is your call to make.
From a stand point of someone who has worked security in a few different venues I would not be eager to be responsible for someone else's firearm.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I see you are at a convention.....get a gun safe for your trunk and bolt it in. Signs do have the force of law in Texas.

30.06(c)(3)(A) Trespass By License Holder With a Concealed Handgun.
(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
(1) carries a concealed handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on
property of another without effective consent; and
(2) received notice that entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden.
(3) "Written communication" means:
(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to
Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed
under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code handgun licensing law), may not enter this
property with a concealed handgun"; or
(B) a sign posted on the property that:
(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

Reactions: Pottester5

·
Registered
85 Posts
Be discreet, keep concealed and keep your mouth shut . . . until you are ready to leave.

Then, let them see your gun and wait for them to kick you out. When they do; go. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not pay the bill. Since they kicked you out, you are under no obligation to pay the tab.

Reactions: oldman45

·
Registered
14 Posts
To add to the above, there is now a sign referencing Section 30.07 which is very similar but only affects open carry. For all carry to be prohibited with force of law, they would need both signs.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
First welcome to the forum! What is the name of the hotel? I will make sure that I never book a room there!

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
My very first post. Thanks in advance for advice and please be patient with me if I am being obtuse here,.

I am traveling from Utah to Dallas, Texas, where I will attend a three-day conference. Texas recognizes Utah CCL, so no problem there. The hotel I am staying at requires guests with firearms to surrender them to hotel security.

"Any firearm, whether it is a handgun or a long-barreled gun, carried onto the premises must be surrendered to hotel security for safekeeping. A guest who fails to abide by this policy may be asked to leave the premises."

So, any time I am outside of the hotel I will have my weapon, but is it worth the hassle if I have to check it in with the hotel every time I walk in the door? On the other hand, what they don't know won't hurt them and I can always surrender to security if it is noticed. "Concealed", being the operative word here.

The questions is, is it worth it to take my gun with me considering the hotel policy, or should I leave it at home. Considering the recent events in Dallas, I am leaning towards bringing it.
I wouldn't stay there . Too many competitors that would love to have your business who wouldn't have that requirement. That's purely idiotic.
Why are you even considering staying there, would be my question.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Texas has 30.06 and 30.07 signs that carry the force of law. Properly posted 30.06 signs prohibit concealed carry, the 30.07 prohibits open carry on those premises. By law, it is these signs that must be obeyed, not the company's policy. If their policy is not backed by either or both signs, then concealed means concealed ... by definition, concealed can't be seen ... carry on.

If the property is properly posted, then obey the laws.

May I ask what hotel it is? I've never heard of this type of policy. No way I'm turning over my firearms to a private 3rd party. At that location, firearms are either restricted by law, in which case they (if not me as well), stay out, or they're not restricted by law, in which case they stay with me & on me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts