Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 VCU students robbed at gunpoint | Richmond Times-Dispatch

Two of our undergrads were robbed just a block from VCU's main campus, with the bad guys getting the drop on them - I have no idea if this was a case of bad situational awareness or what, but what would you guys do?

Everyone says you can't beat a drawn gun but could you beat a distracted mind...? I'd rather not play Vincent of Collateral and find out.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Guess I'd be making phone calls to replace all that stuff in my wallet. 2 BG's with guns drawn. The fight is pretty much over. Unless they make a move to escalate the situation. If they escalate it and are actively going to harm you, you better initiate a fast, overwhelming, and violent action on your part. Closest one first. Odds are good that once the money exchanges hands they are gone though.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
There really isn't enough information given in the article regarding the dynamics of the robbery to say one way or another what I would do.

The problem is two BG's both armed with guns makes doing much more than comply a dangerous proposition. However, if you've been trained in weapon retention and disarming techniques, one can quite effectively disarm someone who has a gun pointed at you.

The problem with this scenario is
1) There are two BG's with guns which makes any counter-assault problematic at best.
2) Simply not enough information is available in the report to tell if any counter-assault is feasible in the first place.

One thing I will say... If your situational awareness is so poor that you let two armed people get the drop on you, you are way behind the curve to start with.

Sometimes, there may be times where your faith in the lord will prevail and hope they don't kill you anyway after you comply.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Everyone says you can't beat a drawn gun but could you beat a distracted mind...? I'd rather not play Vincent of Collateral and find out.
I wouldn't try it unless you practiced that drill a couple of thousand times.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
two armed opponents, even if you had an armed buddy unless you've trained extensively enough together to know who is doing what to which target and how to avoid eachother, I'd say it's a likely losing fight. Losing in that if two bad guys go down and only one of you, you still lose. (and I mean real training, not a couple guys in a basement watching youtube videos)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
it sounds like someone should have been more aware of their surroundings. Even if the students were armed It may not of helped unless the BG were some how distracted. It just goes to show that bad things can happen at any time or place if you let your guard down.

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
Keep in mind that VCU property is a NO CARRY ZONE!...even for CCW holders!

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
I guess another blind:sheep:, walking around with blinders on thinking life is wonderful and its never gonna happen to me

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
VCU is located in downtown Richmond which is nothing more than a slum. I avoid downtown like the plague. Even the state capitol isn't any better, still located downtown. While the city and VCU like to brag about how they are "cleaning up
Richmond, they haven't put a dent in the problem.

·
Administrator
143,838 Posts
As soon as you dispatch the first one you even the odds to "one on one."

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
I thought it was a block away off campus?
The campus borders aren't marked or even run in a straight line.....I doubt any of the students know where the lines are.......VCU has their own police dept & I see them in places all over downtown Richmond....I'm not even convinced they know!

VCU is located in downtown Richmond which is nothing more than a slum. I avoid downtown like the plague. Even the state capitol isn't any better, still located downtown. While the city and VCU like to brag about how they are "cleaning up
Richmond, they haven't put a dent in the problem.
What he said!:haha:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts