Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this evening (around 8 or so), I was out for a run (OK, it was a walk) on one of the major running trails here in DFW, the users are a mix of people exercising and those using it to go to one of the several bars along it since there are no cars to avoid. A saw an attractive young woman, probably late 20s or so, definitely a "Texas Blonde" dressed to go out chatting away on her phone as she walked along. I was close enough to hear her (she was loud) side of the conversation and my interest peaked when I heard her say "yea, I'm going to Elm Fork...I think after that I can get my license..."

Well, Elm Fork is a well known shooting range near DFW airport and is used by a number of CHL instructors for the range qualification part of the course. Sounds to me like Blondie is getting her CHL...believe me, she did not look like the type! I guess this is a good thing (I think?)...it was amusing that I happened to overhear this. This is the second time I have been surprised by a young woman in this way, the last time was at a LGS where I saw a woman of the same age and type buying two holsters for her new Sig. Just thought I'd share.

·
Super Moderator
18,254 Posts
The last few gun shows I have been to there have been as many women as men buying guns. A very welcome sight indeed, the ladies are no longer accepting the liberal theory to just submit, instead the talons are out and they will take care of themselves.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The last few gun shows I have been to there have been as many women as men buying guns. A very welcome sight indeed, the ladies are no longer accepting the liberal theory to just submit, instead the talons are out and they will take care of themselves.
It is a welcome sight, my only concern is that many of them will buy a gun, shoot it once and stick it in a drawer. That or they will qualify and get their CHL but be basically dangerously incompetent and do things like stick it in their purse. There was an older woman in my CHL class who was so inept that it scared me and the instructor actually pulled her off the range after she was unable to properly load her Glock 19 and then couldn't hit the target AT ALL from 7 yards.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
Well...OP this just go to show not all of us good looking blondes are ditzy gooberettes. Or goobers.

·
Super Moderator
19,908 Posts
It is a welcome sight, my only concern is that many of them will buy a gun, shoot it once and stick it in a drawer. That or they will qualify and get their CHL but be basically dangerously incompetent and do things like stick it in their purse.
Careful not to pre-judge! There are some gals shooting Tuesday Night Steel at my club who do NOT look the part, until you see the race gun or the six mag pouches lined up like soldiers on their gear belt.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Sounds to me like Blondie is getting her CHL...believe me, she did not look like the type! I guess this is a good thing (I think?)...it was amusing that I happened to overhear this. This is the second time I have been surprised by a young woman in this way ...
And she'd very possibly out-shoot you (and many others) at the regional IPSC/IDPA tourneys. Ya never know about folks.

Glad to see another is, apparently, getting a CHL. Nice to see so many folks waking up to reality. :yup:

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
I keep asking my single 24 year old daughter to go shooting with me, maybe someday !

Reactions: GSDSchutzhund

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Glad to see her take on the responsibility of her own safety!

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
It is a welcome sight, my only concern is that many of them will buy a gun, shoot it once and stick it in a drawer. That or they will qualify and get their CHL but be basically dangerously incompetent and do things like stick it in their purse.
RE: the purse- don't assume that she won't buy a purpose (concealed carry purse- Gun Toten' Mama etc.) designed for the task- pistol compartment WITH holster, they can have hand on weapon and you'd never even know it!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
What are you two doing this weekend? :wink:

All jokes aside, I'd be a liar if I said I believed the majority of people don't profile others to at least some degree. It's awesome that some stereotypical "Texas Blonde" is taking self defense, well, personally, as we all should. I think it's nothing but a great thing. Especially if she does indeed happen to be the stereotypical "Texas Blonde", then one can be quite confident that she'll tell anybody with a set of ears about her experience and encourage her friends to do the same thing. IMO, that'd be a beautiful chain reaction - in more ways than one. :image035:

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I definitely think the times be a changing my daughter bought her first handgun(Ruger LCR) and I see more and more couples coming into the LGS purchasing a weapon is a family affair.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
On a side note. I love these new gun purchasers. New Glocks, new AR's or whatever. That means they've spent their hard-earned money on a gun and so when it comes to 2A issues, now they truly have a "dog in the hunt" with the rest of us.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
On a side note. I love these new gun purchasers. New Glocks, new AR's or whatever. That means they've spent their hard-earned money on a gun and so when it comes to 2A issues, now they truly have a "dog in the hunt" with the rest of us.
Very well put. IME, I've noticed when one drops a handful of big faces, they tend to care a bit more about how their "dog" does.

Reactions: ppkheat

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Earlier this evening (around 8 or so), I was out for a run (OK, it was a walk) on one of the major running trails here in DFW, the users are a mix of people exercising and those using it to go to one of the several bars along it since there are no cars to avoid. A saw an attractive young woman, probably late 20s or so, definitely a "Texas Blonde" dressed to go out chatting away on her phone as she walked along. I was close enough to hear her (she was loud) side of the conversation and my interest peaked when I heard her say "yea, I'm going to Elm Fork...I think after that I can get my license..."

Well, Elm Fork is a well known shooting range near DFW airport and is used by a number of CHL instructors for the range qualification part of the course. Sounds to me like Blondie is getting her CHL...believe me, she did not look like the type! I guess this is a good thing (I think?)...it was amusing that I happened to overhear this. This is the second time I have been surprised by a young woman in this way, the last time was at a LGS where I saw a woman of the same age and type buying two holsters for her new Sig. Just thought I'd share.
OK, I give up. What "type" of women carry concealed?

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts

If you think it surprised you, think about how bad the bad guy is gonna feel when he finds out that those young women are carrying!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts