Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't much like the IWB type holsters and wear a T shirt tucked in and a shirt unbuttoned over that and my XDSC 40 in a Don Hume holster at 3 oclock OWB.
When Im outside like on a windy day walking maybe up to a store,the shirt seems to fly up and expose the gun and the holster ..any ideas for this?
Im afraid somebody in the parking lot may see the gun before I get in the store.
Thanks

·
Registered
785 Posts
No one knows until the wind blows, huh? Where're my No Nonsense? If it's THAT windy, you can keep your strong arm against your side or button your shirt. I wear buttoned, loose, untucked sport or golf shirts, carry OWB, and have never had a problem. In SC, that used to be considered "flashing" and you could be charged for it. I believe they did away with that, and an accidental exposure isn't a violation. Your mileage may vary. If you're carrying legally, in a legal place, you should be ok.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Simply tuck a bit of your shirt behind the pistola until you're out of the wind.:image035:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I'll typically untuck the undershirt and cover the gun... or put my strong side hand in my pocket holding part of the shirt...

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
What's to worry about here actually? Kansas is for the most part open carry. In my state only conceal carry for now. Of course I become conscious as to what happens and under what conditions with my methods and means. I've been down the road you're on, and quite frankly.....I don't live to carry...I carry to live. Incidents that reveal your status weigh heavier in your own mind than they do with others who wouldn't care to guess. I'm not saying that being haphazard with your wears should be commonplace after time, it's just that being diligent in your methods won't always get your 100% satisfaction rating no matter how hard you try. Live and learn, adjust accordingly, and always feel comfortable no matter what you do.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wear the same combination of shirts. I will typically button the lower half or so of the buttons to keep the wind from blowing open. TX-JB hit on my other trick which is to just put my strong-side hand in my front jeans pocket, and then use my forearm to lock the shirt down. Once inside or out of the wind take the hand out of the pocket and go on with my day.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Maybe clip a button or pin (NRA Pin?) on the bottom of the shirt for weight.Or what about adding a small piece of velcro? Like a piece on the holster and one on the shirt.

·
Registered
785 Posts
What's to worry about here actually? Kansas is for the most part open carry.
States that allow both OC and CC usually have two sets of rules for both. One rule is usually, "If it's concealed, it must stay concealed. If it's open, it must stay open."

·
Registered
254 Posts
States that allow both OC and CC usually have two sets of rules for both. One rule is usually, "If it's concealed, it must stay concealed. If it's open, it must stay open."
Please cite a statute or ordinance that is an example. In 25 years of carrying I have never read such a thing -- it makes absolutely no sense.

C Paul Lincoln

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I don't much like the IWB type holsters and wear a T shirt tucked in and a shirt unbuttoned over that and my XDSC 40 in a Don Hume holster at 3 oclock OWB.
When Im outside like on a windy day walking maybe up to a store,the shirt seems to fly up and expose the gun and the holster ..any ideas for this?
Im afraid somebody in the parking lot may see the gun before I get in the store.
Thanks
That's usually the way I've carry. On windy days, button the bottom 2 buttons. A high ride holster helps as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Please cite a statute or ordinance that is an example. In 25 years of carrying I have never read such a thing -- it makes absolutely no sense.

C Paul Lincoln
I can't cite specific statutes and I'm too lazy to look, but in my CCW class I was told that poorly hidden concealed carry does not constitute open carry. It is considered brandishing, at least where I live.

Open carry is legal in most of Las Vegas (and Nevada) and fairly straight-forward. However, a guy who is carrying concealed OWB and lets his shirt fly open wouldn't be considered an "open carrier". If that were the case then why wouldn't everyone just carry all the time, and claim "open carry!" when someone sees their rig?

Depending on the situation he could be cited or arrested, and in my opinion rightfully so. If you are going to carry concealed, then it's your responsibility to keep it concealed.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I can't cite specific statutes and I'm too lazy to look, but in my CCW class I was told that poorly hidden concealed carry does not constitute open carry. It is considered brandishing, at least where I live.
Most states that support both open and concealed carry do, in fact, have completely different sets of rules that govern each carry mode. To assume that "sloppy" concealed carry, if detected, will be regarded as open carry is, in my experience, not a good assumption.

The old axiom "concealed means concealed" certainly applies here and achieving concealment is 100% in the hands of the CCW carrier.

If the wind blows a shirt to reveal a concealed weapon - "fix it" immediately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts