Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I started to carry last fall, I have always carried on some kind of IWB rig. I recently bought a Fobus paddle holster for my 1911 for range & training use. What do you think about concealed carry with OWB paddle holsters?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Dirk - I used a Fobus paddle for ages with my P95 - tho no longer use that as a carry piece. It suited me very well actually, despite folks saying how difficult it was to disengage gun for a draw. No problem - it just meant what I call an ''inertial'' draw - very brisk - then no problem. Another bonus was exact placement of rig regardless of belt loops.

I never got on with IWB so OWB all the way - and after P95 switched to snub - M85 and then my SP-101 ... and having found a great hi-ride belt slide from originally Jim Burke (pics on the thread about rigs for SP-101 - Here - have stayed with leather. Now it's SIG 226 in a nice leather rig by K&D Holsters.

I have Fobus still available - for P95, P97, BHP and also IIRC for my SW99. I would still use one and from choice it'd be the paddle - but leather just wins the contest, maybe most cos I can get a higher ride.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
It seems like it would be ideal actually. Put it anywhere on the waist line, easy on easy off.

The problem I have is that these things print on me like a mint. I prefer a lower ride myself and don't find them hard to draw from any more, but I used to have a hard time.

IMHO if you lived somewhere where the climate was cooler and you could wear a heavy cover garment year round it might work.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mine see range use only. I'm 6ft tall and weigh 160lbs, so they pretty much suck when it comes to concealment for me, just about any OWB does. Two of mine are the rotos, so that makes it worse.

I my build would allow it, I'd use them for CC without thinking twice. However I do think the plastic, er, kydex, holsters from Uncle Mike's are better.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The one negative with the Fobus and other kydex holsters in that price point is that they can be broken very easily in a gun grab situation. I have a couple of Fobus paddles and one of their belt holsters. I also have an Uncle Mike's kydex paddle holster. You might want to look into Comp-Tac, Blade-Tech, or Sidearmor if you want to stay with Kydex. There are lots of great leather paddle holsters out there.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Dirkster:
I carried my 1911 IWB for years and liked it. One day I tried a buddies paddle holster and I was hooked. Comfy and as stated you can stick it anyplave on your waist. Now comes the hard part. I was at a gun show and the guy asked my to try a bikini holster. The angles sang. The choir assembled. Light, adjustable and almost like not having a holster.

But that's my take. Everybody is different. Soon you'll have a drawer full of holsters just like all of us.

AFS

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like Uncle Mike's. It doesn't have the "breakage" issues that the Fobus has, and the paddle is designed for positive retention on the draw so you're not pointing your holster at the target.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use the fobus for ccw and I like the retention, you just snatch it out when ready to use it.I am not worried about a gun grab,I prefer concealment,it keeps the GFW situation at bay.they also grip pistols differently,like on the HK USP 45 it holds to me loosely,it stays put but comes out easily.and the opposite is walther p99.I DO have to snatch it out or it wants to stay in.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
I like my Fobus roto. Angle adjustable . Only real problem is printing, as I am a skinny guy, and it sticks out. Good for winter carry though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have many holsters for many guns, mostly in leather which I strongly prefer. I like Alessi's work best so far as to leather goods.

However, I decided to try something different for my Glock 30 and an OWB was what I wanted and I wanted to keep it inexpensive. I just received my Galco Matrix (somewhat similar to Alessi's CQC-S but in polymer) and I really like it. I've never warmed up to my IWB for the G30, a Sidearmor. The quality of the Sidearmor is fine, I just don't care for Kydex IWBs as they are not very comfortable for me.

The clincher is the price...around $20 bucks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Zach S said:
Mine see range use only. I'm 6ft tall and weigh 160lbs, so they pretty much suck when it comes to concealment for me, just about any OWB does.
I'm same height and 100lbs+ more, I've carried concealed with my fobus many time with an unbuttoned shirt or light jacket over it. Can quite swing it with a Polo but with the right garment it works great. It's a nice break from the IWB when I can get away with it. Guess alot depends on how you are built and how you dress. For <$20 it is worth it to get one and try out.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Monty said:
I'm same height and 100lbs+ more, I've carried concealed with my fobus many time with an unbuttoned shirt or light jacket over it. Can quite swing it with a Polo but with the right garment it works great. It's a nice break from the IWB when I can get away with it. Guess alot depends on how you are built and how you dress. For <$20 it is worth it to get one and try out.
I've used the Fobus at times, but I bought a Blackhawk with adjustable cant. I like it better because of the cant. I don't think that the Blackhawk fits any closer the body than the Fobus, the forward cant helps hide it better. I'm only 5' 7" and 140 lbs, so I need all of the help that I can get!!! Also the Blackhawk secures a little better than the Fobus with the one button release on the retention system.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I ccw with a smartcarry but when I open carry around the homestead it’s in a Uncle Mike’s paddle holster.

Livin in the woods.......feelin mighty good!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Fobus for my 1911 .45 and my SA-XD Tactical 9mm and like them both, Very cheap from Sportsmans guide and they fit well, and seem to say put,
Paul aka Sporty

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have a fobus paddle for the 1911 and it just doesn't work for me. And I'm not a skinny guy. The weight of a government model 1911 pulls the paddle holster away from the body and it prints like mad. OTOH, I've tried my cousin's glock with a fobus paddle and works fine. To me, it's a matter of weight. The paddle just doesn't seem to have the stiffness to hold a heavier firearm close to your side.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Joe - I know these don't work well for everyone, that's a given.

I do tho remember back in my ''P95Carry'' days :smile:, I used a Fobus paddle to great effect. I am 6.00" and 200 or so - fairly (relatively for age - like 36") Ok re waist and broad up top - some advantage for carry I admit.

Thing I did reckon tho was - keep belt done up tight enough - not uncomfortable but very secure. This meant for me that the pressure on paddle against ''me'' was such that gun carried tight in and so no printing problem to speak of. I do think build has a lot to do with this - so as with all holster selections - this has to come in for the ''what works'' syndrome.

Some folks have mentioned that Fobus rigs also are a bear to draw from. I found retention was strong but - made an ''intertial'' draw - meaning very brisk which breaks rig hold easily. It ain't like a draw from leather.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Chris,

I know what you mean by the 'intertial' draw and that wasn't a problem for me at all. In fact, it was comforting to know that it took a swift jerk to get that gun to come lose from the holster. I really wanted the fobus to work but the best I could do was still not good enough for me. I must admit that I do not own a 'gun belt'. I was using a thick Carhart belt and I was doing it up pretty darn tight. I'm also not experienced in this concealed carry thing so there may be something obvious I'm missing. I should follow all input I post regarding carry with "I don't really know what I'm not talking about so take what I have to say with a grain of salt." :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
13,210 Posts
A couple of things, first, the Fobus is like the proverbial bad penny to me. I've enough high dollar leather and Kydex holsters than I'm ashamed to admit it. But, that humble, inexpensive, Fobus paddle keeps turning up like a bad penny and I have to admit it is one of my favorites. The Fobus paddle cant is less than an FBI cant (15 degrees) and that really works better for me.

As several have mentioned, it's quick and easy to get on and off, holds the gun securely, holds the gun in tight, and doesn't print easily on me although I read that printing is a problem for others.

Plus, and again as already mentioned, I'm not worried about the break away gun grab thing. I recognize that that is surely be a weakness, but since I strictly carry concealed, "they" shouldn't know it's there to start with.

I've found that some Fobus paddles work better than others. The Fobus paddles for my Sig 229, 226, 226R & STs, and Glock work great. By great I mean the holster fits the gun properly and holds it in tight.

I'm not satisfied with the way the Fobus paddle fits my H&K USP - something just isn't quite right. I believe it's one of those designs that "fit" numerous models of guns. The holster's trigger guard profile looks like the P2000 instead of the USP. Hmmm, I'm going to check the holster number (again) and make sure it's the right holster for the USP. Plus, this particular holster kicks the muzzle of the gun out too much - it looks funny.

Another that seems to be a problem is the Fobus paddle for the Springfield XD-9. The holster doesn't fit the slide properly. I believe in this case, it is another attempt on Fobus's part to try to make one fit many. Hence the holster looks like it may fit an XD-40, but perhaps the 40's slide is wider and hence the 9's slide doesn't fit properly.

Another Fobus paddle problem I've had is for the Sig 229R DAK. Either I got the wrong holster or the fit is an absolute disaster. The holster specified for the 229R seems to be the same holster that fits the 226R & ST. But that can't work because the slide on the 229 is significantly wider than the 226 slide.

Then, here's a tip from Fobus themselves. If the trigger guard retention is too tight, get a hair dryer that gets pretty hot and heat the trigger guard retention area and insert the gun (unloaded of course) several times while it cools back down.

Second tip, maybe before using the hair dryer, ArmourAll the inside. It should make the holster faster and help it release better.

BTW, the Fobus website seems to be gone - anybody know anything about that?

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
I think the gun grab is over hyped. Even if the break it off your body, they need to remove it from the holster to use it. And they gotta see it to know it's there too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a Fobus for my J Frame, works well as my "throw something on quickly" setup if I'm dressed properly.

I have an Uncle Mike's paddle for my BHP, not as comfortable and don't really use it. Thinking of trying the Fobus as it's softer, more pliant material might be more comfortable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts