Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently completed my concealed carry course. In the course the instructor stated that you should not use +P ammo in your concealed carry weapon. He stated that this makes you the "aggressor", and that if you use your weapon with +P ammo you could be charged with a crime. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think I know why he said that. My instructor went out of his way to make sure we knew that we should avoid anything that might be used against us in court by a DA who wants to make a name for himself. I could see where carrying +P ammo might make it look like you were just looking for someone to shoot with more powerful ammo that the average person doesn't need.

With that said, I don't see a problem with it. You could say the same thing about posting on firearms forums or being a member of the NRA: you're some "gun nut" just looking for a fight.

Nothing wrong with +P ammo, so long as your firearm can handle it. Just be sure you're willing to live with any negative consequences for using it; same with carrying a firearm.

Reactions: Jemsaal

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
My instructor told my class the same thing. His "thought" was in court you could be made to look like you are out to kill someone if you have higher powered ammo.

I would find a gun friendly attorney, go for your free consultation and ask him. He will be the one you call if trouble finds you. Do as he says.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Flatlands

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,802 Posts
If you are carrying a 9mm or smaller round, I completely disagree with the instructor. You need the extra power! If you are carrying a .44 magnum or larger, I might agree with him.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Was he trained by "Shotgun Joe Biden" per chance?

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Your instructor is a moron. Ammunition will play a minimal part of any justifiable shooting. If it wasnt justifiable, then you have far more serious things to worry about, like wearing a sports cup on your backside.........
Many have heard the tale of ammo sending someone to jail from the friend of a second cousing who dated the girlfriend of the pizza delivery guy that lived next to the aunt of someone who went to prison because of ammo...... I have looked and I have never found a verified case of such. If you want to carry +p ammo, go for it. If not, dont. And if you ever have to argue your use of +p ammo..... just tell em you are concerned enough to give the bg a quick clean finish so they dont suffer.... wait...thats for deer hunting...

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
I had an instructor who suggested not to carry guns with words in the names that might sounded bad like Judge, Thunder, Government Agent, Commander, Defender, etc.

Absolute stupidity if you ask me.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I recently completed my concealed carry course. In the course the instructor stated that you should not use +P ammo in your concealed carry weapon. He stated that this makes you the "aggressor", and that if you use your weapon with +P ammo you could be charged with a crime. Any thoughts on this?
He's incorrect, badly.

Someone inflicts unjustifiable crime against you, and simply because you seek to end it lawfully with deadly force but opt to use +P ammo the original deadly crime is erased and YOU are somehow going to be held as the aggressor? Not true, unless you've got both a District Attorney and a Grand Jury with heads stuck way, way up there, to the point they don't live in reality.

Review your state's use-of-force statutes. I believe you'll find the basic rules of engagement for lawful use of force is fairly clear. And I believe you'll also find no mention of any statutory requirement to flip the script on an upstanding defender who's using +P ammo in a lawful defense.

I'd seriously review what was taught in that class. And I'd seriously review the statutes in your state, related to weaponry and use-of-force. You've been fed a line, one that'll very likely seriously dent your ability to ensure sufficient penetration and expansion in a life-or-death situation. Your NUMBER ONE PRIORITY is to make it home that night to your family. What additional penetration/damage you do via +P ammo if forced to employ deadly force isn't really your concern, nor should it be. At worst, be concerned with over-penetration risks, which is much more a question of knowing your target and what's beyond than mere questions of damage to the deadly criminal assailant.

Not that this is the optimal way of thinking of things, necessarily, but this is what I was taught from a few top instructors in the game:

• Know the statutes, the laws that pertain to you in your state. Know them cold. Keep up with the changes to them, which can happen every year.
  • Never instigate or inflame a situation.
  • Avoid the "three stupids": stupid places, stupid times, stupid people.
  • Bring enough weapon; use the appropriate weapon, if needed. IOW, don't merely have a hammer and, thus, view all problems as "nails." As well, ensure your firearm's going to have sufficient capability to get the job done, if forced to use it.
  • Stop the threat, then stop. Because, once there is no longer a threat to you or yours, you no longer have the lawful justification to continue "stopping" (shooting, knifing, beating on) the assailant.
  • When safe to do so, contact the cavalry (call 911, have someone else call 911, etc).
  • When police arrive, identify the assailant, identify yourself as the victim, point out the weapons used by the assailant and any other evidence, point out any witnesses to the event, then shut your mouth until you've spoken with counsel.
  • Rule #1: Remember that your goal is to make it home that night, to be there for your family. You have no lawful requirement to suffer criminal violence against you, and certainly no lawful requirement to suffer deadly violence against you. So, bring the degree of lawful force to bear that you reasonably deem necessary to allow you to make it home.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I had an instructor who suggested not to carry guns with words in the names that might sounded bad like Judge, Thunder, Government Agent, Commander, Defender, etc.

Absolute stupidity if you ask me.
I agree completely but in today's world.... I pretty sure if a "Judge" had been used in a well known Florida shooting it would have been all over the news!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 167 Posts