Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill try to reword this. Im asking if anyone carrys +p ammo in there mil-pro for carry and regular ammo for practice. I just want to make sure they can handle it for a defence load. I think Im going to get one it meets my criteria for a carry gun. I gotta quit drinking beer and typing. thanks for the time sixgun

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
According to the manual this is all it says

“Plus-P’, “PIus-P-Plus” or other ultra or high velocity ammunition generates
pressures significantly in excess of the pressures associated with standard
ammunition. Such pressures may affect the useful life of the firearm or
exceed the margin of safety built into many pistols and could therefore be
DANGEROUS.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/pistol_manual.pdf

That is the link to a PDF file of the owner’s manual for the Mil-Pro.

On page 9 it states:

"Plus P, or Plus P Plus or other ultra or high velocity ammunition generates pressures significantly in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the useful life of the firearm or exceed the margin of safety built into many pistols and could therefore be DANGEROUS."

While it doesn't say not to use +P, I wouldn't.

Personally, I don't see the advantage of using +P or +P+ ammo.
If you feel your cartridge is under-powered using factory standard velocity ammo, get a bigger gun. What little you make up for using hot ammo is negligent on the terminal end of the bullets life. (or the bad guys) and you get significantly higher recoil, muzzle blast and flash with the +P stuff.

My .02

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Bud, you posted while I was formulating the answer and reading the PDF from Taurus.:frown: lol

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I carry +P in my SIG but - to be honest - am to a degree feeling sometimes there is too much 'hype' about this.

Sure MV and thus ME is jacked up a bit - but not a whole lot - despite quite significant pressure increases - I mean, the 9mm round is by nature and reputation, a high pressure round anyways.

I know my SIG will handle these fine - so will many guns of good repute even if not listed for such - therefore, as some folks do - practice always with std pressures but carry +P if you wish - as long as you know POI is very similar - it probably will be.

I don't like beating guns up - and so would see this as a potential compromize.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys thats what Im looking for. Im interested in the 45 gap cartridge but other than glock who makes them in a sub compact. I picked up a glock in a shop and didnt like the feel. Im not bashing glocks Im sure there great guns. But there just not for me. Thanks again and have a great day Sixgun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts