Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm expecting to receive my pistol permit in the next 4 weeks and was wondering which gun I should go with for my first pistol and CCW piece. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Glock 19 or a Sig P229r (9mm). Any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Have you shot either? If not, try to find somewhere you can try them both. That will make the choice much easier.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I would recommend the Sig P229 every time out of these two. But others opinions will vary.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you shot either? If not, try to find somewhere you can try them both. That will make the choice much easier.
I've shot both but not enough to be able to make a decision over which I prefer the most. In NY it is illegal to touch a pistol without a pistol permit so my hands on time for handguns is limited to the time I spend out of state.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I've shot both but not enough to be able to make a decision over which I prefer the most. In NY it is illegal to touch a pistol without a pistol permit so my hands on time for handguns is limited to the time I spend out of state.
I feel for ya, I'd choose the Glock just because I know that the 19 is going to go bang every time I need it to. It's not pretty but you can count on it. I think either will serve you well, I just like the kiss principle.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Does one fit your hand better, do you prefer one trigger over the other? Are you more accurate with one? Do you prefer one MOA? Does price matter? To me there is no contest, but that's me.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Does one fit your hand better, do you prefer one trigger over the other? Are you more accurate with one? Do you prefer one MOA? Does price matter? To me there is no contest, but that's me.
Exactly what I'm thinking.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
If I were you I would spend more time "out of state" And see what works for you. On here you're going to get peoples personal preferences not always what's right for you.

By the way get the sig, I hate glocks.:image035:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sig seems to take the vote, I think I'll order that first.

Does anyone know of any place that has the Sig P229r CPO guns in stock?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the Glock 19 and no regrets. You have to go with what fits your hand and your eye. To me, knowing the gun is always going to work sealed the deal.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I have a 23 (19 is same size)..and P228. Overall I feel the 23 is more concealable. As far as dependable you wont go wrong wih either. My nod would be to the Glock.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'd recommend the Sig, I love my P250. I've always disliked the grip angle of glocks, just never fit my hand right.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Glock for carry.

I've owned a Sig P229 in .40 for 8 years, and a Glock 19 for 12 years. They are both excellent guns, but different.

Since you mentioned your CCW permit, I gather that this will be a concealed carry gun for you. In that case, the Glock 19 is thinner and considerably lighter weight than the Sig, and is easier to carry concealed. Both guns seem equal to me in reliability and accuracy, so unless you have some problem with the Glock trigger system, that is the one I would recommend for carry. The Sig is excellent for range or home defense, however.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Perhaps cost isn't a factor, but it was for me. I really like my Glock 19, and it conceals pretty well though sometimes prints when it's IWB if I am working and bend over.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Between your limited choice of handguns, I would have to choose the Sig.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I carry a P229 almost daily. I don't find concealment to be a problem with a good holster and good belt. The G19 is a solid, reliable handgun, but I'll choose the P229 every day and twice on Sundays.
Gonzo

·
Registered
68 Posts
Go with the Glock.

I have shot Sigs and they were ok, they just felt like 6"x4"'s in my hands....

It really is a subjective thing that will of course vary from person to person.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ehh, tough one. I have owned a P229 and have shot on plenty occasions a G19.Both are excellent guns. Which one fits your hand better?? Do you mind the weight of the Sig? The 229 holds 13 rounds on 9mm in it's magazine and the G19 holds 15. G19 is alot lighter, thinner, shorter. I like the way the Sig shoots more then the Glock, but hats also just my opinion. I say if your looking to conceal the G19 might be what you want, or maybe a Sig P239. If your looking for recreationa shooting and home defense I'd say the Sig 229.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts