Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a pocket gun. I have shot the P238 and like the gun, though I am not that crazy about SAO + safety on a pocket gun. Would the 938 be significantly more difficult to pocket carry? I definitely want something small because the vast majority of the time I am carrying IWB and when I am not I need something for quick, deep concealment. If it will conceal almost as easily I may just go with the 938 since I have a lot of 9mm ammo and it would be easier to have all of my firearms in the same caliber. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
If you don't like the safety and the SAO on the P238, you will HATE the P938. Not only is it another SAO with a safety, it has an ambidextrous manual safety!

I know there are some who pocket carry the P938, but I feel it is just a little bit too large for my pockets.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
I mostly pocket carry either the Sig P938 or Ruger Lc9s. Note the action on the P938 is no different than the action on the P238 though the gun itself is a smidgen smaller.

Deep concealment pocket carry? Original plain jane Ruger Lcp. Not the newer models due to size.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
The 238 is easier to carry ..938 is larger ..Both are SAO 938 has a ambi safty at one point sig would take that off for you on the side you wanted not sure if they still do

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mostly pocket carry either the Sig P938 or Ruger Lc9s. Note the action on the P938 is no different than the action on the P238 though the gun itself is a smidgen smaller.

Deep concealment pocket carry? Original plain jane Ruger Lcp. Not the newer models due to size.
You may be right here... The RM380 seems ideal for me but I also don't want a Remington gun after the R51 fiasco. What is your opinion on the Custom vs the LCP Stainless. I can get either for around $230 shipped.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You may be right here... The RM380 seems ideal for me but I also don't want a Remington gun after the R51 fiasco. What is your opinion on the Custom vs the LCP Stainless. I can get either for around $230 shipped.
If you're going pocket carry, stainless. My regular LCP is rusting already. I may have to get it coated somehow. The custom is cool, but in dry fire I didn't think the triggers were all that different. Maybe they are, I dunno. Either way, this is a close up and personal sort of thing, not a marksman pistol.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're going pocket carry, stainless. My regular LCP is rusting already. I may have to get it coated somehow. The custom is cool, but in dry fire I didn't think the triggers were all that different. Maybe they are, I dunno. Either way, this is a close up and personal sort of thing, not a marksman pistol.
How big of an issue is the double reset on the trigger? Other than that I have no qualms about buying a LCP Stainless.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
No the 938 is slightly bigger. I carry the 938 during the week. I have trained with the safety so it doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The LCP is my favorite pocket carry pistol...my favorite version is the Custom. The 938 is doable in the pocket, but is larger, heavier and thicker than a LCP by quite a bit...a little larger than the 238.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am looking for a pocket gun. I have shot the P238 and like the gun, though I am not that crazy about SAO + safety on a pocket gun. Would the 938 be significantly more difficult to pocket carry? I definitely want something small because the vast majority of the time I am carrying IWB and when I am not I need something for quick, deep concealment. If it will conceal almost as easily I may just go with the 938 since I have a lot of 9mm ammo and it would be easier to have all of my firearms in the same caliber. Thanks.
I was also anti manual safety, but am now a convert due to the P238 and P938.....Love Them. I bought the P238 (primarily for my wife) and liked it so much I bought the P938 for myself. It's just a little larger and heavier, but not a problem for me at all. 90% of the time I wear TRU-SPEC tactical pants and they are a little roomier in the pocket department. I also wear a Tactical Wilderness 5 Stitch belt and that made a big difference also.

I think the small amount of size and weight difference is worth it to be able to carry 9mm. Just my .02

Mark

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
LCP is all I will pocket carry. I have the Gen II and it shoots what I point it at every time I pull the trigger. P938 would be too big for my idea of comfortable, deep conceal pocket carry.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
While I am a fan of the SIG P938, it is not my idea of an ideal pocket carry handgun. For pocket carry I like the smallest package I can find. I don't pocket carry that much but when I do it is an LCP Custom. The P938 is pretty sweet for belt carry, IWB or OWB.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
I bought my Lcp in 2012, its plain black, not stainless. No rust here at all. However I am indoors most times for work although its been rained on a few times while on my motorcycle or in high humidity environments at the indoor swimming pool room at the gym.

That said I believe its the most compact of the Lcp family so I can't speak for the viability of the custom or the stainless because I haven't tried them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have two LCP's...an original (when they first came out) and a recent Custom. The custom has a nicer blued finish than the standard version, but neither of mine have had any rust issues...but I do keep mine clean and lubed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't be so fast to dismiss the Rm380. Mine has been utterly reliable and that has been the case in every review I read before purchasing, and I have read them all. The gun feels great in the hand, is soft recoiling, racks with ease, has a stainless slide and barrel. The only issue for some may be the trigger. It is smooth but quite long with a long reset. None of this bothers me but many don't care for it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
To me, a longer, more deliberate trigger pull is a plus on a pocket carry pistol...unless it is fitted with a manual safety. This is why I have not purchased a LCP II...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've broken my own rule about having carry guns with a safety because of the 938. There's just no other 9mm thAt I can slip into my pocket like it, plus I swear it shoots like a full size. Now that sig is pretty entrenched into the striker fire market, they really should consider making a striker fire version. It would have to be steel framed though, because that's what makes it shoot so well I believe.

The 938 is very pocketable as long as you're not wearing wranglers or skinny jeans. I've been carrying mine in a boraii pocket holster. But I'm going to try an Alabama holster co next. The borai is nice, but the flat square edges are kind of prominent, still, it just looks like a big screened phone or wallet

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I DO pocket carry the P938....but I have an OWB as well. Pocket is just for the quick trips. It conceals well, regardless.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Both are great guns, if I had to choose between the two I would lean towards the 938 due to ammo cost/ availability. For pocket carry an LCP is tough to beat....however it is a VERY difficult gun to shoot well and has substantial recoil due to its weight and size. Have you considered a Shield or Glock 43? Both are easy to shoot and carry IMO. Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts