Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at both easing into the 9mm realm. Other than price (and maybe just a tad difference in quality), I cant really tell too much difference between the two as far as all of the attributes of a carry weapon goes. Little higher bore axis with the HK. When I bring up the 26 to shooting position, it shoots way high as I am used to shooting 1911s (I know it is only a training issue). I only belt carry OWB for the most part. Both take larger magazines from their larger versions. For some reason, the HK keeps pulling me back...lol. It will be a while in any case so I have plenty of time to make up my mind. Then there is always the shield .45...So many choices so little money!!!

Reactions: Heavy4Caliber

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Out of the choices you have mentioned the 26 would be my choice. I have one and it has been bullet proof. It not as flashy or fancy as the H&K but the fat and ugly black piece of plastic gets it done!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
To me it would come down to the trigger, and I'm sort of an HK Fan.

I've had 3 DA/SA HK pistols and I've converted all of them to the LEM trigger. I'm not a fan of DA/SA, and even less of a fan of HK DA/SA, especially with the P series with the long reset. The LEM trigger (V1 light LEM) is IMHO an awesome defensive trigger, due to the longish take up and consistent light pull. I'm currently carrying a P2000 V1 and shoot a P30L V0 for matches. I find HKs easy to work on, parts are available from HK CS and they are extremely reliable guns.

So HK P30SK V3 VS G26 and I'll take the G26 (Or I'll convert the P30SK to a V0 LEM).

Make it an LEM and I'll take the P30SK.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
As far as quality goes, the HK barrel is made of ordnance grade steel. They did a test with a bullet lodged in the barrel. The bullet was blown clear by the next shot and the barrel only bulged, it did not fly to pieces, sending shrapnel everywhere. Try that in a Glock!

Secondly Glock suggests changing the recoil spring every 5,000 rounds, HK suggests 25,000 to 30,000 rounds.

Glocks trigger is better, but I got used to my P30 long take up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have shot the G26 belonging to a friend and handled them a number of times in gun shops and a couple of times on the range with other shooters. The gun just seems like a little brick to me although I'm a long time Glock user and currently own five of them. When I was trying to decide on a 10-round polymer striker handgun I chose the P99 AS compact over the G26 since it has better ergonomics, sights and trigger. The better finish was not a deciding factor but its finish does look better than the G26.

The HK P30sk keeps drawing me to it in local gun shops although I haven't yet bought one. If I do it will be the first hammer fired handgun I've bought in several years. I like its ergonomics and overall it just feels solid in the hand. Unfortunately I haven't yet found one locally to rent.

From handling the G26, P99c and the P30SK the only downside to the H&K may be that it is a couple ounces heavier and I can feel that extra weight difference just handling the guns. Of course that could work out to be an advantage during live fire.

Yes, the extreme grip angle on the Glock takes some getting use to, but is very do-able. Glock fans like to point out that the newer polymer strikers from various manufacturers are in response to the Glock's success and that it true. What I do find interesting is that none that I know of have followed the Glock extreme forward grip angle with their new polymer strikers. Apparently those other manufacturers don't consider the forward grip angle to be a desirable feature.

OP, if I were going to choose between the G26 and the P30sk for myself I would choose the H&K. That's just my opinion and other opinions may vary, and that's okay.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you get a chance look at the Glock 19. The 19 carries just the same as the 26 and you get more rounds on board. I personally don't see a purpose for the 26/27, or any of the stubby double stack pistols that are in that 10 round range. They are too fat to be as comfortable as a single stack, and they don't offer enough more rounds than a single stack for me to justify it. You are better off going with a G43 with the +2 taran tactical extension to bring you up to 8+1. That gives you an extremely comfortable carrying pistol. Or go with a G19. The G19 carries pretty much the same as the 26 but gives you an extra 5 rounds and slightly longer sight radius for better accuracy at greater distances. Just a suggestion and my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
673 Posts
As far as quality goes, the HK barrel is made of ordnance grade steel. They did a test with a bullet lodged in the barrel. The bullet was blown clear by the next shot and the barrel only bulged, it did not fly to pieces, sending shrapnel everywhere. Try that in a Glock!

Secondly Glock suggests changing the recoil spring every 5,000 rounds, HK suggests 25,000 to 30,000 rounds.

Glocks trigger is better, but I got used to my P30 long take up.
you forgot to mention how the Glock's surface metal treatment is as hard as a diamond and has a Rockwell hardness of 68 out of 70.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you get a chance look at the Glock 19. The 19 carries just the same as the 26 and you get more rounds on board. I personally don't see a purpose for the 26/27, or any of the stubby double stack pistols that are in that 10 round range. They are too fat to be as comfortable as a single stack, and they don't offer enough more rounds than a single stack for me to justify it. You are better off going with a G43 with the +2 taran tactical extension to bring you up to 8+1. That gives you an extremely comfortable carrying pistol. Or go with a G19. The G19 carries pretty much the same as the 26 but gives you an extra 5 rounds and slightly longer sight radius for better accuracy at greater distances. Just a suggestion and my opinion so take it for what it's worth.
He is spot on. The G19 is an excellent carry piece. 15+1 rounds of Federal HST 124 or 147gr makes for a formidable carry piece. Since I live in NY we are limited to 10 rounds. The G19 does not make sense with a limit. The 26 makes more sense in NY. Outside of NY or where ever standard capacity is allowed the G19 is stellar. Since you are OWB that is even better. I also carry OWB and I am carrying a S&W MP .45c for the NY winters.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I carry a G27 and will have to disagree a bit with you. I can easily conceal my 27 during the summer with shorts and a tank top or t-shirt. I can do the same with a 19 but not as easy. I am also one of the oddball types that actually shoot the subcompact Glocks as well as or better than their larger cousins. I also tried the G43 and could not tell much difference in carrying it or the G27 when using a good belt and holster, so I decided to stay with the subcompact rather than the single stack.

To the OP, I love the HK's and have a VP9. I have come close to buying a P30sk several times and probably will eventually. I would like to see a VP9/VP40 in "sk" form.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great discussion. I hadn't even considered the Glock 19 which I will take a look at. I am used to heavy as my normal carry is a 1911. My secondary carry is a SP101 (DAO) and I grew up shooting revolvers so the double action trigger pull on the HK didn't seem that bad. I would however prefer the LEM but I could live with the DA/SA...The HK just seemed dammed sexy.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Great discussion. I hadn't even considered the Glock 19 which I will take a look at. I am used to heavy as my normal carry is a 1911. My secondary carry is a SP101 (DAO) and I grew up shooting revolvers so the double action trigger pull on the HK didn't seem that bad. I would however prefer the LEM but I could live with the DA/SA...The HK just seemed dammed sexy.
IF you're willing to go to a G19 sized pistol, take a look at the HK P2000. Comes in a V2 LEM, has a hammer for that warm fuzzy feeling while reholstering and IMHO is about the perfect HK for CCW. Just like a G19 it's sized right for shooting in an all day class or running in IDPA in the CCP division (downloaded to 8+1).

Mine just finished up a reset reduction at Lazy Wolf Guns, and is currently sitting at Robar awaiting refinishing in NP3. Hoping to get it back in APR.

Chuck

·
Registered
233 Posts
I carry a G27 and will have to disagree a bit with you. I can easily conceal my 27 during the summer with shorts and a tank top or t-shirt. I can do the same with a 19 but not as easy. I am also one of the oddball types that actually shoot the subcompact Glocks as well as or better than their larger cousins. I also tried the G43 and could not tell much difference in carrying it or the G27 when using a good belt and holster, so I decided to stay with the subcompact rather than the single stack.

To the OP, I love the HK's and have a VP9. I have come close to buying a P30sk several times and probably will eventually. I would like to see a VP9/VP40 in "sk" form.
I also have a VP9 and would stand in line to buy a VP9 in the SK version.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
IF you're willing to go to a G19 sized pistol, take a look at the HK P2000. Comes in a V2 LEM, has a hammer for that warm fuzzy feeling while reholstering and IMHO is about the perfect HK for CCW. Just like a G19 it's sized right for shooting in an all day class or running in IDPA in the CCP division (downloaded to 8+1).

Mine just finished up a reset reduction at Lazy Wolf Guns, and is currently sitting at Robar awaiting refinishing in NP3. Hoping to get it back in APR.

Chuck
Completely agree! Another G19-sized gun to consider is the SIG P229, which is a fantastic gun. Also the SIG SP2022 is about the same size but polymer frame and cheaper ($500ish).

Also, note that the G19 is about the same size as a Commander, and a Glock 26 is about the same size as an Officer. The SIG P938 (a 1911ish gun) is even smaller than a Glock 26/Officer. The point is - if you like the 1911 system, there are tons of options.

·
Registered
345 Posts
As is often said on this site, "It's always best to shoot it before you buy it". Personally I would go with a Glock 19 or if I had a little more cash a Sig P229

·
Registered
822 Posts
HKS hanguns are just superbly finished. Everything I hear about them is excellence. The Glock 26 is an awesome hangun in its own right. I dont know. I would be hard pressed to chose one over the other.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
The G-26 is about the easiest to carry and easy to shoot double stacks on the market. I am like Tundra in that, I actually shoot my G-26 better than my G-19! :blink:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Read this post with interest because I am planning to pick up a P30sk V1 LEM as my next purchase (although it may also be a while before I do...certainly longer than I would want, but we have to keep the Mrs. happy!) I own Glocks and am not against them by any means...the ones I have serve specific purposes. But for concealed carry on a regular basis I prefer SIG and HK. Right now carry duty falls to either my VP9 or P229 Legion. Eager for something smaller for summer carry and the P30sk fits the bill perfectly...form, fit, finish, function. Put me squarely in the HK camp on this one.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I own both, but for everyday CCW I prefer the hammer fired P30sk w/ LEM trigger. Being able to thumb the hammer during re-holstering makes me feel 200% better. Also, the P30's paddle mags and long slide stop make it easy for me to manipulate all the controls without having to shift my grip. (I've got small hands)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts