Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out shooting today with my friend's grandson and his new P365XL. It had two 12 round magazines instead of the 10 round (XL version). I love the paddle safety over the Shield's safety. Still, I give it a thumbs down. Even being a true double stack, the grip is rather small in my average-sized hand and the gun jumps around when I shoot. Rapid-fire is a chore. However, the Tritium front sight helped me keep a decent tight group, about as good as with my Shield 9mm. Put a Hoague grip on it and it might be about equal with my Shield. If so, I'd upgrade the rating to a thumbs up. I really LOVE the X-Ray3 sight. If I was to get one, I'd probably go with the SAS version, just because.

It is a good gun? Absolutely! Is it good for me? Definitely not out of the box. If he gets the Hogue grip for it and we go out again, I might be tempted to greatly raise my rating of this gun for me.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
So if the gun that people buy because it is so small were bigger, you would like it?:smile:

I got to shoot one a few weeks ago. I liked it. I will not be buying one because I do not need it. At least I keep telling myself I am good on carry guns. I'm the opposite of you though. If I did go with a 365, I would probably buy the XL version and also the regular 365 grip frame to have a shorter and easier to conceal grip length for the summer here. That would be handy in the dead of summer.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I went out shooting today with my friend's grandson and his new P365XL. It had two 12 round magazines instead of the 10 round (XL version). I love the paddle safety over the Shield's safety. Still, I give it a thumbs down. Even being a true double stack, the grip is rather small in my average-sized hand and the gun jumps around when I shoot. Rapid-fire is a chore. However, the Tritium front sight helped me keep a decent tight group, about as good as with my Shield 9mm. Put a Hoague grip on it and it might be about equal with my Shield. If so, I'd upgrade the rating to a thumbs up. I really LOVE the X-Ray3 sight. If I was to get one, I'd probably go with the SAS version, just because.

It is a good gun? Absolutely! Is it good for me? Definitely not out of the box. If he gets the Hogue grip for it and we go out again, I might be tempted to greatly raise my rating of this gun for me.
Feedback re popular pistols is always useful, even if the gun is not for you. All observational info is good info.

In my case (big hands and all) the piece fits pretty well, and shoots surprisingly well. (I do prefer the 12 rd mag, but the teeny ten is fine, as well). Yes, the sights on this little critter are quite good.

I actually traded in my original P365 to get one with a mechanical safety, when the option became available. I agree that the safety is nicely placed, and ergonomically easy to disengage.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Handled the P365 XL and Hellcat at my LGS. Wasn't all the impressed or get what all the fuss is about. The two extra rounds or so doesn't excite me enough to make me want to buy one of these over the Walther PPS M2, Shield, etc.... I'd suggest someone save $200-$250 by buying a Shield or PPS, 5 or so extra mags, a holster, and a bunch of ammo... If you need more rounds, carry an extra mag or two... Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against these new hybrids, but I do not think they're worthy of all the hype or that much better than what's already available on the market....

·
Registered
961 Posts
The paddle safety ?? P365XL ??
Googled the answer to my question. I was unaware the P365xl is now offered for sale with a safety. Must have came out recently. I didn't can't find it on their website but found it mentioned in a forum.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Handled the P365 XL and Hellcat at my LGS. Wasn't all the impressed or get what all the fuss is about. The two extra rounds or so doesn't excite me enough to make me want to buy one of these over the Walther PPS M2, Shield, etc.... I'd suggest someone save $200-$250 by buying a Shield or PPS, 5 or so extra mags, a holster, and a bunch of ammo... If you need more rounds, carry an extra mag or two... Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against these new hybrids, but I do not think they're worthy of all the hype or that much better than what's already available on the market....
I stood in line and purchased one of the first Shields at my LGS the day they were released. Liked how it felt in my hand and how it carried but did not like how I shot it personally. Wound up selling the original Shield but have tried a few other used Shields since then. Wound up with the same results and ended up selling them too. When the P365 came out and I got the chance to shoot one, I was impressed. Purchased one in August or September of 2018 and have not looked back. I can shoot it nearly as quick and accurately as I can my G26 but with the Alabama pocket holster, the P365 carries reasonably well in the pocket of cargo shorts during the summer. Rest of the year when I carry the P365 it rides IWB in a Panther Concealment and it is a pleasure to carry.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Don't care for the smaller p365 , to close to my old cm9 kahr in size but the p365XL fit small pistol needs well fit a smaller people well as a primary carry and works well when simply a smaller pistol is needed .

I was looking for another commander or smaller 9mm at our lgs but none were available at least for a decent price level . but I did spot a p365xl with thumb safety at a below market price and took a chance my wife would like it but it would work for me as a small option . I took it home and got it cleaned up and well lubed when my wife came home from the grocery . WE went out back to run some rounds thru it and she fired 200 rounds as quick as I could load mags with a uplula . Bottom line is it worked reliable with a wide variety of 9mm ammo from mild to hot underwood loads ! My wife liked it and shot the last mag full slower into a 2- 6 shot cluster at 10 yards about 1.25" . The real plus side is it fits her 1911 holster well and I get my 1.5 year old Kimber ultra 9mm back .

Nothing wrong with thumb safety's if your use to them ether .

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I handled it and didn't care for it...Too small and my hands are not that big. Great to have choices for all...I will stick with my PPS/M2 for a small 9mm striker...

·
Registered
314 Posts
I handled it and didn't care for it...Too small and my hands are not that big. Great to have choices for all...I will stick with my PPS/M2 for a small 9mm striker...
It's the current Shield. The new flavor of the month. In a few years something else will come along, and most of the same people will switch carry guns again and throw hundreds into something else because the once great P365 that they're currently raving about will suddenly not being good enough, so on and so forth... I been around long enough to see this happen over and over again.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
It's the current Shield. The new flavor of the month. In a few years something else will come along, and most of the same people will switch carry guns again and throw hundreds into something else because the once great P365 that they're currently raving about will suddenly not being good enough, so on and so forth... I been around long enough to see this happen over and over again.
Meh, someone probably said the same back in 1911 when some new pistol came out.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The P365 does small well. That's what it's designed to do. Small and capacity. If you need a bigger grip, get a bigger gun. I like than I can carry a 10 round gun in my pocket. For a better fitting grip, I carry a bigger gun. For a pocket gun, I carry the P365.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Isn't that the gun you said the grandson bought FOR his grandmother and that she was going to go to shoot it on Tuesday? NOW, no mention of the woman at all - just your impressions of the gun which isn't even yours. Interesting.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
The P365 does small well. That's what it's designed to do. Small and capacity. If you need a bigger grip, get a bigger gun. I like than I can carry a 10 round gun in my pocket. For a better fitting grip, I carry a bigger gun. For a pocket gun, I carry the P365.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Just curious what pocket holster you use when carrying the P365? I personally use the Alabama pocket holster.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Try a leather pocket holster for a kahr p45 or cm45 .. My days for pocket handguns are long in the past . Good luck .

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Meh, someone probably said the same back in 1911 when some new pistol came out.
Funny that the 1911 and the .38 snubby continue to be popular despite that trend. Glock seems to be avoiding the "flavor of the month" phenomenon also.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Isn't great to be an American ?
Over in England they built a 27 ft statue out of 100,000 knives confiscated or turned over in amnesty programs. They took away their guns but violence is up, up and away over there never the less. https://www.alfiebradley.com/the-knife-angel

A small, light, reliable, high capacity, easily concealed side arm checks off a lot of boxes for many Americans. Bring 'em on !

·
Registered
226 Posts
Funny that the 1911 and the .38 snubby continue to be popular despite that trend. Glock seems to be avoiding the "flavor of the month" phenomenon also.
Hardly. They jumped on the small gun market just a few short years ago. It's called a Glock 43 and a Glock 42 and recent Glock 43X. Yes, Glock is right in there swinging for the fence along with several other makers.

The Glock 43 replaced my Kahr P9 as my EDC. And then last year my P365 replaced the G43 as my EDC. I really have no fault with the 365. I put rubber Talons on it like most of my other polymer framed handguns. It's sights are excellent, grip feels good in my size Large hands and the trigger is really good as well. More than anything else, I shoot it as good or slightly better than I do my G43.

In the handgun market, new designs are often denigrated even if they fill or improve on a portion of the market. There is no "perfect" handgun for everyone, even if some shooters insist that their own choice is that perfect gun. On another shooting forum a poster proclaimed that the "Glock 26 is the best carry gun ever". For some people it may be, but not for most people. It is one handgun I wouldn't take even if you gave me one with all the ammunition I could shoot, but with the stipulation that I had to carry it. No Thanks. It feels like a little brick in my hands and when I've shot my friend's G26. But that's just me.

Smaller single stack handguns are likely the fastest growing segment of the handgun market because there are more and more carry permit holders each year of both sexes. I think it's a healthy trend for our 2nd Amendment rights to have these new gun owners on our side, regardless of what they carry. After all most people won't, or can't, carry a 1911. Even though I did it myself for years.

·
Registered
554 Posts
So should I save my money for Smith and Wesson to release a shockwave-sized musket...without a Hillary hole?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts