Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a gun small enough to pocket carry as well as iwb/aiwb. I've narrowed it down to these to as they are rather small. I want to stick with 9mm over a 380. Some people say these are pocket able some say no, what is the verdict? Which is the better gun as well? The cm9 can be had for much cheaper than the others (385-400), sig (650-700). Which would you recommend and why? I don't wear skinny jeans but not baggy either. In the summer I wear cargo shorts

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
I have carried both using pocket carry. Both are easy to conceal in a "reasonably" sized pocket. The only way I could determine what was a "reasonable" size was to go to a gun store that carried the pistols and try them with a holster in a pocket. I wear 5.11 Tac-lite Pro pants 99% of the time (not because I am tacticool, but because they are comfortable, practical and hold up well). They work fine in their pockets. They also work fine in any of the various dress pants that I own. The big question for you will be, do you want a striker fired/no safety pistol or hammer fired/manual safety pistol? Personally, I prefer the 938. I think it has less recoil than the Kahr and is easier to shoot.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just like g26raven, I have carried both. Just from cc perspectives, either one is an excellence choice - both pocket carry or AIWB or IWB.

938 has been my primary edc for 2+ solid years now , I no longer have the Kahr because I fine the 'buttery smooth but long" trigger pull is not for me.

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
I've had poor reliability from Kahr. And their warranty is poor.

If you want a reliable pocket gun, I'd look at a snub revolver.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does one pocket carry easier than the other? What about snagging on draw? Seems like the 938 has just a few more spots to snag

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
938 would be my choice. One of the pistols I pocket carry.

·
Registered
383 Posts
As long as you train with the Sig and make it second nature to flip off the safety in a moment of high stress and anxiety it is a great little pistol. Otherwise the Kahr if you get a good one is sufficient. The Ruger LC9s pro would be a better choice providing your pockets are big enough

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
My wife has 3 kahrs - K9, plus a CM9 and PM9 (yeah, they're pretty much the same gun, except cosmetically.) They have all been reliable through hundreds of rounds since day one, although I know some have not been so lucky. The PM9 is the newest and I have begun to think I may need one too, based on the small size and weight. A PM9 will be about the same length as a 938, but the 938 will be heavier. The 938 also has a slightly shorter grip. Size wise, it seems like a wash to me between the two. It really boils down to which trigger and system you like better, safety and single action, versus DAO and no safety. I would be happy to carry either one.

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
Does one pocket carry easier than the other? What about snagging on draw? Seems like the 938 has just a few more spots to snag
I would say there was no difference in the way either one carries. I have found no issues with a 938 snagging on the draw with the pants I wear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I own both a PM9 and a 938. I regularly carry the PM9 in a pocket using a Sticky holster. The 938 never gets carried, the safety just isn't as easy to click off without fail as I had hoped that it would be.

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
The only way to satisfy yourself on this decision is to 1) shoot both guns and see which one you like better and 2) visit a gun store and attempt to draw each pistol from a pocket holster. Nobody can tell you what you will like and whether it will work for you to your satisfaction with your body shape and size, type of pants, and type of holster. We can tell you all day what works for us, but you are the person who has to live with it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I bought both of these guns, thinking I would carry them. They're both good guns, only you can decide which you prefer.

Ultimately, I don't carry either my PM9, nor my P938. I concluded that because they are so small, they suffer in terms of shoot ability, capacity, potency, and therefore overall effectiveness.

I find it easy to carry a larger, more capable pistol, such as M&P40C, G30, G19, P320 .40 Compact, or full size M&P40 or P320 40. These larger models are easier to shoot well, have higher capacity, and more potency. And, I can carry them daily without any trouble.

If there was no way that I could possibly carry a larger gun, then I would carry and rely on the P938 or the PM9. I just don't shoot either of mine enough to have a strong preference between one or the other.

Reactions: AZMacaw

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Never have had the snagging problem with the 938. Comes right out of the holster and pocket with ease. It's a great shooting pistol. Just as accurate as any pistol I own.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a P938 and its a nice pistol, but I agree with DHart regarding capacity etc. I took a defensive class and it emphasized carrying what you feel is the most comfortable in your hand. I prefer carrying my M11-A1 and am getting used to it, I am more accurate with it, I can carry 16 rounds and the recoil is almost nonexistent—the perfect combination for me. The best advice anyone can give you is to go to The Handgun Information Resource and check the data they have and then go to a range that rents both and shoot them side by side. Good luck with your decision!

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
The Sig is fine for pocket carry, haven't tried the other gun. When I carry the 938 its almost always in my right front pants pocket, though occasionally in an OWB belt slide. On the belt you won't even feel it. In the pocket its heavy enough that even holstered, it has a slight amount of bounce when walking so I always readjust the holster before entering or exiting my car so its properly oriented. If your slacks are more snug you may not experience that but I'm a large guy with deep pockets.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You might also want to consider that if you can't comfortably carry either of these pistols in the pants that YOU wear, then, you're going to need to go to belt carry (probably IWB). And, in that event, do you really want to bother with such a tiny pistol?

With IWB carry, most people can very easily step up to a much more capable platform than either the P938 or the PM9.

EDITED TO ADD: If I had to pick between my P938 or PM9 for pocket carry, my choice would be the PM9. I don't really want to fuss with ANYTHING other than grip and trigger pull when pulling such a small pistol out of my pocket. And, I like the very-smooth, revolver-like trigger pull of the PM9. Kahr has a good thing going. The P938 is a good pistol, but I think the PM9 has the edge as a pocket gun.

Reactions: AZMacaw

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You might also want to consider that if you can't comfortably carry either of these pistols in the pants that YOU wear, then, you're going to need to go to belt carry (probably IWB). And, in that event, do you really want to bother with such a tiny pistol?

With IWB carry, most people can very easily step up to a much more capable platform than either the P938 or the PM9.
Currently have a shield 45 and I'm in NY so honestly not much more pistol I can carry. Yeah I can go to 10 rds but the 938 and p/cm9 can go to 7 so yeah 3 rounds but it's also a much smaller package which would make me carry it more

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
I pocket carry my P 938 regularly without issue.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
When I find a need for a pocket pistol or a back up its a CM9 kahr . Carried mine every work day for 4 or 5 years building homes until I retired . Also have close to 2000 rounds fired thru it with zero issues. I don't want any extra levers on a pistol that small . Change the striker spring to a RP spring from wolff and trigger pull will drop in the 5lb range and still be reliable . I use a tp9 8 round mags for back up carry. Biggest problem with kahrs is the heavy recoil springs . Start off with a 124gr +P hp ammo you plane to use for defense then stay with a good quality 124gr fmj for a few hundred rounds before trying wallet friendly ammo .

Besure your comfortable racking the slide . The cm/pm series will make most small 9mm seem easy to rack !!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts