Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm nearing the time to get my ccw for PA. As I understand the law, I just need to go to the county sheriff's office and bring my drivers license, names of 2 references and a check for the fee.

I see they state they have 45 days to either issue or deny it. I have no reason to be denied so I will get the permit, but for those of you who have gotten it, how long did it take you to have it issued?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most counties utilize the instant background check. Unless the county you are applying in has an over zealous Sheriff, you should have it within about 5 minutes. Although, there can be a backlog of an hour or more on the instant checks with the increased volume of applications.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in lehigh county. So there's a good chance I will walk in and walk out with it same day? That would be ideal

·
Registered
82 Posts
As a non resident, my first CCW PA permit took about 2 weeks in Susquehanna County. They did call my 2 references and the cost was $26. My 2nd permit was done in Scranton, you do need 2 references, they do the background check, $20 and you are outta there in less then 30 minutes.

·
Registered
982 Posts
My wife and I both went to Scranton and we both had our PA. permits in hand and were on our way home in a half hour.. PA does it right! If you go to Scranton, I bet you will like the sheriffs deputy that processes your permit. bob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's good to know that it shouldn't take too long.

Can the references be family or do they need to out of the family?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Allegheny county, took all of the allotted time. In fairness though, they were swamped with applications. I mailed mine in. When I came in to pick it up, there were around 15 people in line picking up their permits.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately I will be eligible (age) to get mine right after the elections. So I have a feeling it will be busy not only getting the permit, but picking up a new carry piece as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I moved here just over a year ago from Arizona and I went into the Allegheny office and had my permit in my hands 15 minutes later.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Bring names/addresses/phone numbers of two non relatives as references. In Doylestown, it's while you wait that day. I've heard other places in the county are not necessarily same day, so check in Lehigh. Doylestown is the county seat, so maybe that's where you need to go (Lehigh's county seat sheriff's office.) Bucks Co seems to be very gun owner friendly, at least the rural parts. I imagine Lehigh is great too.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think mine took 3 weeks (delaware county), once you get the green light you have to go back and pick up your laminated permission slip.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm in lehigh county. So there's a good chance I will walk in and walk out with it same day? That would be ideal
OP, I'm also a resident of Lehigh County. They typically mail the permits usually within 2 weeks or so. I don't recall any of my carry colleagues getting the permit at the time they file the application. If you can, go on Monday morning, the courthouse is fairly quiet at that time. Good luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Pike County= Two weeks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the references, what is acceptable to put? Can they be family, or do they need to be out of family. Or doesn't it matter much.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts