Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
My 1911 doesn't fit very well in my pocket but the 380 does but I don't feel it has enough stopping power. I am thinking of getting a jacket or coat that's designed for CC. Too bad jackets and coats are so expensive.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My 1911 doesn't fit very well in my pocket but the 380 does but I don't feel it has enough stopping power. I am thinking of getting a jacket or coat that's designed for CC. Too bad jackets and coats are so expensive.
Semi-autos in a pocket are a crap shoot after firing round #1. Since any such scenario is already a crap shoot, I don't care to do anything which further stacks the odds against me so no autos fired from in the pocket.

I've looked at various CCW jackets and they all seem to want to put your firearm inside the jacket which would still require a draw. That's not for me, I prefer using the exterior pockets.

·
Registered
60 Posts
While I realize that perhaps many on here are former military or LEO and as such have an advantage. Perhaps so. I am neither but I would point out that many of these thugs may be more versed in violence than you are. In a worse case scenario where you have to shoot, don't be surprised if it turns into a gunfight. Perhaps it will be gangsta style sideways grips but sometimes they get lucky. How do you defuse the situation effectively?

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Semi-autos in a pocket are a crap shoot after firing round #1. Since any such scenario is already a crap shoot, I don't care to do anything which further stacks the odds against me so no autos fired from in the pocket.

I've looked at various CCW jackets and they all seem to want to put your firearm inside the jacket which would still require a draw. That's not for me, I prefer using the exterior pockets.
Your point is well taken concerning the firing of a pocketable gun from a pocket being a crap shoot with a semi auto.

The bigger picture here however, is that the hand on the gun in a pocket, is inconspicuous, and much faster in to action than a belt carried gun that is concealed. So, the idea that the pocket gun is very desirable in those situations is not predicated on the need to fire from within the pocket to be advantageous.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
While I realize that perhaps many on here are former military or LEO and as such have an advantage. Perhaps so. I am neither but I would point out that many of these thugs may be more versed in violence than you are. In a worse case scenario where you have to shoot, don't be surprised if it turns into a gunfight. Perhaps it will be gangsta style sideways grips but sometimes they get lucky. How do you defuse the situation effectively?
Once committed to the application of deadly force, you just go to work.

Everything from that point on is without predictability and becomes rhetorical.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes, the hand already on the gun ready for rock & roll is the primary advantage. I lived that scenario a couple of years ago in what was going to be a robbery of myself and my wife in a downtown Denver parking lot after dark paying the walk-up kiosk for our parking. When the would-be robber observed my hand was in my jacket pocket with good reason, he lost interest in us and moved on.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
It's a philosophical question. Let's say that you and your family are about to enter a pizza parlor when a group of Antifa thugs approaches you, clubs at the ready and making threats. So you draw, they disperse to their moms' basements, and the problem is resolved.

So the question is, sausage or pepperoni?

·
Banned
705 Posts
It's a philosophical question. Let's say that you and your family are about to enter a pizza parlor when a group of Antifa thugs approaches you, clubs at the ready and making threats. So you draw, they disperse to their moms' basements, and the problem is resolved.

So the question is, sausage or pepperoni?
If you think you're going to draw on someone and then just go on ahead and order your pizza you are sorely mistaken. You should assume someone is going to call the cops

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Exactly why I find my snubnose in a jacket pocket irreplaceable.
Yep. If I am wearing a jacket there is a 642 sans holster in the left pocket. I am perfectly fine with a 12 pound trigger all by itself in a coat pocket so I can fire it without messing with a holster.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, the hand already on the gun ready for rock & roll is the primary advantage. I lived that scenario a couple of years ago in what was going to be a robbery of myself and my wife in a downtown Denver parking lot after dark paying the walk-up kiosk for our parking. When the would-be robber observed my hand was in my jacket pocket with good reason, he lost interest in us and moved on.
I had a somewhat similar situation last year though it was daytime. I had just come from the County Clerk's office, registering a new pistol and had parked at our downtown office (not my normal office). I had stopped for some street meat and a can of pop. Anyhow, the lot is surrounded by a wrought iron fence and there was a bum near the entrance. As I came closer he clearly was "squaring up" to block my way. Me being a older, grey haired guy in a shirt and tie probably seemed like easy pickings. I was planning on offering the half can of pop if he hit me up for change but when I saw that action I switched the can to my off hand. I still didn't really expect anything to happen but the strangest thing did. As I came within maybe 10-12 feet he all of a sudden kind of 'shrunk down' and looked to the side a scooted past me and on down the street. I think he noticed the bulge in my pocket from my carry at the time, a Kimber Micro 9 and concluded that me freeing up my hand meant he should get the hell out of there. In hindsight
, perhaps I should have had my hand on it, just in case he was going to pull a knife or some such thing. Lucky for me it ended well for all.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I’m going to do like instructor zero and just empty the mag in my gun into the ground in front of me. :danceban:

Reactions: CavemanBob

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I’m going to do like instructor zero and just empty the mag in my gun into the ground in front of me. :danceban:
Alternatively, you could just fire a couple of rounds into the air, like Joe.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
If you think you're going to draw on someone and then just go on ahead and order your pizza you are sorely mistaken. You should assume someone is going to call the cops
So the first person calling should be you.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
So the first person calling should be you.
I’m confused.

Calling the cops, or calling for pizza?

Both?
Cops like pizza too so either way you can't lose.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I’m confused.

Calling the cops, or calling for pizza?

Both?
Call the cops, telling them you'll have pizza delivered. See which gets there first.

Reactions: Instymp and M1911A1
21 - 40 of 105 Posts