Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yeah, I mean, it’s a possibility, but not likely.
But that’s what you carry for.

The numbers are irrelevant to me, because as soon as I shoot the first one in the face, their game is no longer fun for them.
THAT is the correct way to handle it...then it is time for them to put some skin in the game, too.

This concept of the gangs ruling streets only works if the victims allow them to do that. Serious resistance by those being victimized will have an impact every time it is employed...

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
What to do in case of a pack attack?

Well, apparently, if you can hold out long enough there's pizza and donuts.

Reactions: Chaplain Scott

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
This was one of my “pack attack” stories which was posted on DC in April this year:

“In 2007 I was in Budapest staying at the Gellert hotel on the Danube. About 7 am I went for a walk, starting across the Szabadsag hid. About 1/4 of the way across the bridge a group of 6 military age males stopped and surrounded me, with their leader shouting “poliz...your passport now!” Well, I may not be the sharpest pencil in the box but it was apparent these guys were not my friends. The best defense being a good offense, I started yelling at the top of my lungs “I am the police and I will arrest all of you” while invading the leader’s personal space. They were caught off-guard and created an opening in the circle, which I immediately ran through. Arriving back at the hotel after a close call I never ventured out again undeer similar circumstances.

Live, travel, learn!”

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Multitask.

Order online while speaking with the cops, find out what toppings they like.
While popping the gang leader and whistling Dixie.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I do not know for certain how I would handle a scenario like the one presented in the thread starter... Thinking about it.

Folks keep using some variation of "once they see your gun they will scatter" or "once you take out the leader, the fight will go out of them". I think it is foolish to think this way. In some cities, these gang-bangers grow up in what amounts to a war zone. The gang you encounter might actually find it to be a completely routine experience to be facing down a gun pointed their way, and might even be USED TO BEING SHOT AT. I don't think it's wise to count on the rest of the group scattering if you take out their leader. It's entirely possible that they will ALL be armed too, and you will only succeed in making them mad.

Might sound a little far-fetched to some, but if you draw and they don't scatter, and shoot one of them and the don't scatter, what's your plan then? I just think the whole idea of not being too "gun-centric" in your tactics is probably a good one to remember and think about. Multiple attacker scenarios always put me into "how do I escape" mode WAY before they put me in "how do I fight back" mode...

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
While I realize that perhaps many on here are former military or LEO and as such have an advantage. Perhaps so. I am neither but I would point out that many of these thugs may be more versed in violence than you are. In a worse case scenario where you have to shoot, don't be surprised if it turns into a gunfight. Perhaps it will be gangsta style sideways grips but sometimes they get lucky. How do you defuse the situation effectively?
After all of them take rounds the situation is diffused. :yup:

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I’ll walk w Matthew03. Or we’ll run, as conditions and our limitations suggest.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I do not know for certain how I would handle a scenario like the one presented in the thread starter... Thinking about it.

Folks keep using some variation of "once they see your gun they will scatter" or "once you take out the leader, the fight will go out of them". I think it is foolish to think this way. In some cities, these gang-bangers grow up in what amounts to a war zone. The gang you encounter might actually find it to be a completely routine experience to be facing down a gun pointed their way, and might even be USED TO BEING SHOT AT. I don't think it's wise to count on the rest of the group scattering if you take out their leader. It's entirely possible that they will ALL be armed too, and you will only succeed in making them mad.

Might sound a little far-fetched to some, but if you draw and they don't scatter, and shoot one of them and the don't scatter, what's your plan then? I just think the whole idea of not being too "gun-centric" in your tactics is probably a good one to remember and think about. Multiple attacker scenarios always put me into "how do I escape" mode WAY before they put me in "how do I fight back" mode...
Well, do you propose not taking out the leader, if possible?

Do you propose doing nothing...it is easy to suggest that others are assuming things that probably won't happen.

Put forward what you think might be more appropriate.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Pack attack? Toss 'em one of these (then duck behind something solid) View attachment 302002 Anyone that's still standing, well.... (if you can't see it, its a picture of a frag...) :image035::image035::image035:

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Sigh.

Once again, people think these street thugs are trained and motivated like a Spetsnaz assassination squad...that they’re going to press an attack if they take incoming fire, particularly if one (or more) gets taken out.

I really don’t find that assessment...realistic.
Well...you might be right. Then again, you might be tragically wrong. This happened in your 'hood.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapolis-robberies-beating-videos-go-viral

You would do well to pray you have time to intimidate ONE before the pack gets you. Me personally...I carry my little bag of tricks:

SwissGear Messenger.jpg

11X15 inch Level IIIA or IIIA+ Lightweight steel plate with a blunt force trauma pad behind, which allows the strap on the bag to be put over your head and you have an instant vest. Oh and inside the bag I carry either a Sub-2000 40 S&W and 120 rounds or a 9mm AR pistol with the same loadout. Usually though, I just don't get around such places anymore.

Reactions: Chaplain Scott

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Having faced a similar situation I can say that being intimidating helps. I went from being a mark to a very angry, and frightening, individual. When I sense danger, I tend to face it with aggression. Not that I charge in and start anything, but I become wary and prepared to fight.

It also helps that apparently my eyes go from being un-assuming to "scary". That's what I've been told by several friends. They say my posture changes, my eyes become "scary" and I stare my perceived threat down. No fear. It kept me safe up in the Twin Cities when I was stupid high school age kid.

If you can master that you may not need to do any shooting. Fail to become a hard target they don't want to mess with, then try and figure out who the leader is and shoot them.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Well...you might be right. Then again, you might be tragically wrong. This happened in your 'hood.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapolis-robberies-beating-videos-go-viral

You would do well to pray you have time to intimidate ONE before the pack gets you.
Seriously, what do you advocate doing?

Do you advocate just standing there...

Trying to intimidate is probably the only option one person has...one person cannot overcome a pack without using some type of force. If we cave to this element, never making any of them pay the price...our society only goes downhill faster. I would argue that is the reason we find ourselves in the situation that we are in today.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Seriously, what do you advocate doing?

Do you advocate just standing there...

Trying to intimate is probably the only option one person has...one person cannot overcome a pack through force.
Not unless he is appropriately armed. I would pray it wouldn't come to that, but if anyone thinks at my age I'm going to take a potentially lethal beating and not use lethal force (very effectively) they might be gravely mistaken. Most of us haven't gotten as old as we are by losing fights.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts