Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Well...you might be right. Then again, you might be tragically wrong. This happened in your 'hood.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapolis-robberies-beating-videos-go-viral

You would do well to pray you have time to intimidate ONE before the pack gets you. Me personally...I carry my little bag of tricks:

View attachment 302008

11X15 inch Level IIIA or IIIA+ Lightweight steel plate with a blunt force trauma pad behind, which allows the strap on the bag to be put over your head and you have an instant vest. Oh and inside the bag I carry either a Sub-2000 40 S&W and 120 rounds or a 9mm AR pistol with the same loadout. Usually though, I just don't get around such places anymore.
Not really my “hood”, being over 100 miles from where I’m sitting...so, it’s not even on my radar’s radar.

And, honestly? Even if I lived there...can’t see it hitting my top 20 likely threats.

As others have said...if it happens, deal with the threat; if there’s another, deal with that one. Repeat as necessary, with tools at hand.

·
Registered
18,302 Posts
Well...you might be right. Then again, you might be tragically wrong. This happened in your 'hood.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapolis-robberies-beating-videos-go-viral

You would do well to pray you have time to intimidate ONE before the pack gets you. Me personally...I carry my little bag of tricks:

View attachment 302008

11X15 inch Level IIIA or IIIA+ Lightweight steel plate with a blunt force trauma pad behind, which allows the strap on the bag to be put over your head and you have an instant vest. Oh and inside the bag I carry either a Sub-2000 40 S&W and 120 rounds or a 9mm AR pistol with the same loadout. Usually though, I just don't get around such places anymore.
These are nothing but wild monkeys. Their strength is the knowledge that their victims are unprotected and their own numbers.

I will guarantee that when the first one in the group has his head explode, and they are covered with warm gray matter and skull fragments they will run like the curr’s they are.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
They may scatter when the shooting starts, and they may not, they may just start shooting back. Around 3 years ago, a gun battle broke out between some rival gang members in Lodo Denver. Over 200 rounds were exchanged.

I know this, my weapon of choice would not be the 5-shot snubby, the bigger the mag, the better when dealing with a pack.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
They may scatter when the shooting starts, and they may not, they may just start shooting back. Around 3 years ago, a gun battle broke out between some rival gang members in Lodo Denver. Over 200 rounds were exchanged.

I know this, my weapon of choice would not be the 5-shot snubby, the bigger the mag, the better when dealing with a pack.
Chinatown, around 1983, two warring Tong gangs numbering 6-8 on both sides empty their handguns at each other from what started at 10-12 feet. No hits, over 100 rds fired in about 10 seconds.

A few from both sides stood and delivered, the rest scattered. Thereby suggesting in the real world, you may see both scattering and standing and delivering. Depends on the scumbag I suppose. :scratchchin:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Chinatown, around 1983, two warring Tong gangs numbering 6-8 on both sides empty their handguns at each other from what started at 10-12 feet. No hits, over 100 rds fired in about 10 seconds.
The big shootout of over 200 rounds in Denver only resulted in 2 getting shot, 1 died.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I am not knowingly going places I consider to be danger prone. I very seldom travel to the larger cities, and when I do I don't tempt fate by being outside after dark. Daylight tends to discourage such nefarious activities. However I will be prepared to defend myself if the need arises.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Well, do you propose not taking out the leader, if possible?

Do you propose doing nothing...it is easy to suggest that others are assuming things that probably won't happen.

Put forward what you think might be more appropriate.
Of course I wasn't proposing doing NOTHING. Don't be ridiculous. I did state, though, that ESCAPE is what seems like the first and most valuable option, if possible. If not possible, and I am cornered, I am not likely to try and discern who it would "have the most effect" to shoot first. I am probably going to focus on the person that is the most imminent threat to me, regardless of whether they are the leader or not. If they all went hands-on at once, I'm not sure there IS a tactic you could plan beforehand that would improve your chances much. You may get a couple, but you may be screwed...

·
Registered
949 Posts
...ESCAPE is what seems like the first and most valuable option, if possible. If not possible...I am probably going to focus on the person that is the most imminent threat to me...I'm not sure there IS a tactic you could plan beforehand that would improve your chances much. You may get a couple, but you may be screwed...
This is where my thoughts lie also.

Escape first, protecting Jean in the process.

While escaping as best as possible, access weapons, and, if cornered, we both turn and fight.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Banned
705 Posts
I am not likely to try and discern who it would "have the most effect" to shoot first. I am probably going to focus on the person that is the most imminent threat to me, regardless of whether they are the leader or not.
I have never had to shoot anybody and I pray God I never do. I don't even know how to explain this so I know it's going to sound wrong but I've noticed that every time I've had to deal with more than one person there's like some autonomous part of my thought process that's doing its own assessment of the situation and it decides who I'm going to shoot first if I need to.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Several tactics can and have worked in the past for others.

1. Stand your ground, shoot the pack leader first, hope the rest boogie
2. Stand your ground, shoot the closest one first, next closest second, etc
3. Stand your ground, shoot the one considered the most threat first
4. Get out of dodge before the party starts

There are certainly many more based on "it depends".

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Of course I wasn't proposing doing NOTHING. Don't be ridiculous. I did state, though, that ESCAPE is what seems like the first and most valuable option, if possible. If not possible, and I am cornered, I am not likely to try and discern who it would "have the most effect" to shoot first. I am probably going to focus on the person that is the most imminent threat to me, regardless of whether they are the leader or not. If they all went hands-on at once, I'm not sure there IS a tactic you could plan beforehand that would improve your chances much. You may get a couple, but you may be screwed...
If they are all over you a blade is a better option than a gun.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Several tactics can and have worked in the past for others.

1. Stand your ground, shoot the pack leader first, hope the rest boogie
2. Stand your ground, shoot the closest one first, next closest second, etc
3. Stand your ground, shoot the one considered the most threat first
4. Get out of dodge before the party starts

There are certainly many more based on "it depends".
Like the Elephant hunters of lore, stack them in front of you, use the dead bodies as cover from the rest.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I am not knowingly going places I consider to be danger prone. I very seldom travel to the larger cities, and when I do I don't tempt fate by being outside after dark. Daylight tends to discourage such nefarious activities. However I will be prepared to defend myself if the need arises.
The thugs travel around in the day in the Twin Cities. That aspect of safety doesn't hold true all the time, and has not been a guarantee of safety up there for over twenty years now. The Somali neighborhood is near the Mall of America. Go there at your own risk. The gangs of thugs hang out there off an on. The off times being when the management of the mall, and the local police keep them out. If they catch you in the rather large parking structure, that could end very badly for you.

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
When avoidance and/or diffusion fail and it's time to go to work, GET TO IT. Hesitation can be fatal. You don't wait to see the result of the first before transitioning to the next and the next until the threats are dealt with. Boarding house rules apply.

·
Banned
705 Posts
The thugs travel around in the day in the Twin Cities. That aspect of safety doesn't hold true all the time, and has not been a guarantee of safety up there for over twenty years now. The Somali neighborhood is near the Mall of America. Go there at your own risk. The gangs of thugs hang out there off an on. The off times being when the management of the mall, and the local police keep them out. If they catch you in the rather large parking structure, that could end very badly for you.
Where's Gecko 45 when you need him?

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Everybody gets some, before anyone gets seconds. :yup:
Yup, damage all of them first, seconds only need be applied if they haven't caught fire yet. :wink:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
More likely very badly for them. When faced with superior numbers cqb distance, I could easily use my multiples/crowd control skill. Turn the g17 into a machine pistol, sweep them left to right letting the muzzle climb move the gun in that direction at each shot. Then again, one can also just hose one of the turds like this with half a mag and ask if anyone else is interested in playing bullet sponge.

Sweeping em left to right like this, all you'll see is buttholes and elbows moving away from incoming at 8-9 rds per second. I've seen a few people stand while taking incoming, but I've never see anyone who stands there still being a potential threat while taking full auto cyclic rates of incoming. Of course, if all you have is your pocket is a single stack or 5 shooter, it won't be an option. :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I think I am being targeted regardless of how many are involved I try really hard to be somewhere else as fast as I can. Using whatever is around me I would try to put barriers between me and those advancing. The very last worse case would be to lock eyes and advance on whoever appears to be in the lead and be ready because he will either blink or things are already past the blink stage.

A story:
When I was a teenager I took a girl ice skating. The girl was trusting and very gentle. She also was a little slow and kids routinely made fun of her. While walking her home 3 guys began harassing us circling around us as we walked. I drew her with me as I angled off to the side of a house with a woodpile and backed her and myself in. I put her way at the back and turned to face the 3 who now thought they had us. That is when I held onto one skate and because the laces were tied together I swung the other over my head and advanced on them. They blinked and I finished walking her home.

Sounds heroic huh? Nah...I was scared chitless.
Years ago as a stupid teenager a friend and I were out past midnight walking to a corner gas station to get some nachos.

A car pulled up to us on a major street and 4 gang bangers rolled out threatening us.

They were upset because we disrespected them by walking past their house.
I was sure we were about to get beat.
My friend pulled out a cheesy spring loaded single shot bb handgun. Apparently he was appendix carrying it, I had no idea.

They scattered like roaches, and we cut thru several apartment complexes to get home.

I'm glad he had that bb gun.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 105 Posts