Defensive Carry banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
While I realize that perhaps many on here are former military or LEO and as such have an advantage. Perhaps so. I am neither but I would point out that many of these thugs may be more versed in violence than you are. In a worse case scenario where you have to shoot, don't be surprised if it turns into a gunfight. Perhaps it will be gangsta style sideways grips but sometimes they get lucky. How do you defuse the situation effectively?
As it was already said, it always will be pack attack. You can not diffuse the situation with the pack. Pack is self maintaining attack mood group, escalating with any change of situation, including your attempts to de-escalate.

So, to stop the attack you have to put your rounds first, before the attack obviously started. And as it was already mentioned, you will be established a wrong doer in the court. So, you have to first establish "running away from them" pattern. It will not last long they will pick the chace up and run after you faster and faster. Then you stop and start taking out closest first. You stop near possible cover like corner of brick house. Take cover and see if others keep advancing, they all likely to be shooting now that there are none of their head of group between you and them. Then run again, and dial 911 whenever chance is.

If you face only one of them, then and only then you can de-escalate. Important in it is that you speak in 100% confident calm yet pressing tone of voice. Criminals are like dogs (exclude trained attack/guard dogs), if they feel opponent may be stronger, they will not attack. But you need to be ready to use force multiplier. And don't let opponent approach close, it really takes long time between hell breaking loose and you implement your force multiplier.

As one Swiss general said: the best battle is not the one you won, but the one you managed to avoid.
And don't forget, if you did draw your weappon, your life changed dramatically, you will never have your life as you knew it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a somewhat similar situation last year though it was daytime. I had just come from the County Clerk's office, registering a new pistol and had parked at our downtown office (not my normal office). I had stopped for some street meat and a can of pop. Anyhow, the lot is surrounded by a wrought iron fence and there was a bum near the entrance. As I came closer he clearly was "squaring up" to block my way. Me being a older, grey haired guy in a shirt and tie probably seemed like easy pickings. I was planning on offering the half can of pop if he hit me up for change but when I saw that action I switched the can to my off hand. I still didn't really expect anything to happen but the strangest thing did. As I came within maybe 10-12 feet he all of a sudden kind of 'shrunk down' and looked to the side a scooted past me and on down the street. I think he noticed the bulge in my pocket from my carry at the time, a Kimber Micro 9 and concluded that me freeing up my hand meant he should get the hell out of there. In hindsight
, perhaps I should have had my hand on it, just in case he was going to pull a knife or some such thing. Lucky for me it ended well for all.
I had to a degree similar situation quite a while ago in Chicago when the last was one big "gun free zone". In the evening we walked streets slowly with the lady and she was using her fancy camera, taking various photographs. We are small older folk. And big guy, they remove the rest of description for "political" purposes usually, that guy started sizing us from the other sidewalk. At some point I put my hand on the pager that was clipped on my belt, as one would on the grip of hostered pistol. I didn't do it on purpose as I recollect, but I just did it. And I was focuces on him all the time. At some point that guy lost interest in us and continued his regular walk away. Later I realized that my strong side hand sitting on something on my belt did the psychological trick, likely.

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've spent 23 years as an LEO so far. Criminals were already running in packs when I started. That trend has only strengthened in the intervening years. So, yes, you easily could be the target of one of those packs, be they two or twenty. It's also my experience that when the "victim" is armed and pops the first miscreant, the rest scatter faster than cockroaches when the light comes on. For sure, they'll later get together and get their story straight about how they were all out just walking, having a good time, when that maniac suddenly started shooting. So, you'll need to worry about that more than you'll need to worry about the "pack" pressing home an attack after the shooting has started.

·
Registered
12,767 Posts

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Calm down, Bad Bob, and allya'll for that matter, jeez.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
By the bye...

All the folks citing the attacks in Minneapolis/St Paul/TC metro?

Yeah...pick better examples.

Seems the folks who were the targets were face down in their phone (ie, “Condition White”) in One case, and in the other...kinda instigated it by calling one of the attackers a “b***ch” while standing outside a bar.

So...it would seem that not being oblivious to your surroundings coupled with not being an obnoxious A-hole might go a LONG ways to prevent these “pack attacks”.

Or just believe Faux News that this is something to worry about. Whatever...

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
By the bye...

Seems the folks who were the targets were face down in their phone (ie, “Condition White”) in One case, and in the other...kinda instigated it by calling one of the attackers a “b***ch” while standing outside a bar.

So...it would seem that not being oblivious to your surroundings coupled with not being an obnoxious A-hole might go a LONG ways to prevent these “pack attacks”.

It is, however, useful to have at least an introductory, rudimentary knowledge of how the street cred system works.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
By the bye...

More likely you've never seen them in person. I have. It didn't take much to realize that they were looking for weak target. Do not discount the reports of these packs.

Not giving them a reason to target you, if possible, always works out the best for you. A lot of us have mentioned what to do should that not be an option. Something important to keep in mind.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sigh.

Once again, people think these street thugs are trained and motivated like a Spetsnaz assassination squad...that they’re going to press an attack if they take incoming fire, particularly if one (or more) gets taken out.

I really don’t find that assessment...realistic.
They are not trained, they are thugs, and they will swarm a man, before he can draw. I f the guy draws and fires, well that is another case entirely, and they will run.
But 8 on one, is just as good as them having a gun, and if they get to you, you may not get to draw. Have you ever faced 8 on 1? If you had, you would not sigh.

·
Banned
117 Posts
In a situation like this I always thought having a pistol chambered in 357 sig or magnum would be a advantage. If the bullet didn't hit them the concussion and the flame would scare the **** out of them.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
They are not trained, they are thugs, and they will swarm a man, before he can draw. I f the guy draws and fires, well that is another case entirely, and they will run.
But 8 on one, is just as good as them having a gun, and if they get to you, you may not get to draw. Have you ever faced 8 on 1? If you had, you would not sigh.
If one or more on top of you, attempting to draw should not be your first move.

And yes, the sigh is correct, in response to people thinking this is a likely event, even when looking at self defense examples alone.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
8 to 10 against little old me.................where, what, when.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If one or more on top of you, attempting to draw should not be your first move.

And yes, the sigh is correct, in response to people thinking this is a likely event, even when looking at self defense examples alone.
So I guess you haven't faced 6 or 8 either. This is just more blather to me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
8 to 10 against little old me.................where, what, when.
Well as far as me, it was in a place called Marcum Terrace, in Huntington WV. There is a gang inside of that place.
Marcumheroinbust....2016....RESIZE-650x350.jpg

That is a pic of a heroin bust there, in 2016. There are more than ample criminals in the place.
I gotta ask something, what are you talking about? There is nothing spurious about my claim of facing off against 6 or 8 at time.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In a situation like this I always thought having a pistol chambered in 357 sig or magnum would be a advantage. If the bullet didn't hit them the concussion and the flame would scare the **** out of them.
I had a .357 Magnum on me at times and at other times a 9mm or a .45 Auto. I was living in a project, and when I was evicted, their lawyer said they did not want people like me in their community. And shazam, I was outa there.

The concussion of a .357 does not amount to much, but it has a mean roar, when it is fired. It will get their attention, and the gun will kill them, if that is hat it takes.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts