Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what other forum members (who happen to golf) do when on the links.

I haven't golfed for a few years, and I went yesterday with a few buddies and had an outrageously good time. I'll definitely keep this up.

That said, I was not sure how to carry while on the course. On the practice tee a week ago, I pocket carried my P365, and it seemed to go okay. And, this is what I did yesterday for 18 holes. No big issues, but I might have rathered keeping my piece in my nearby golf bag. And, looking back, yesterday my SIG would have been in my control the entire 18 holes (minus a couple of comfort breaks).

What about you fine folks? IWB, pants pocket, golf bag, other... what do you do, and would you recommend this form of carry on the golf course?

Reactions: NavCop and arizona

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
My favorite live-in golfer carries his gun in his golf bag. To me this goes against "You never need a gun until you REALLY need it" anytime you don't have your gun within an arm's distance. He normally carries his gun IWB around 3:30 and I understand that that doesn't work when you are twisting your body to make a shot.

I'm not a golfer but to me pocket carry sounds like the best idea - if you have a pocket gun, that is.

·
Registered
433 Posts
When I played Golf some time back, I would slip my J frame into one of the pockets in my golf bag. It was carried in a Kramer "Fuzzy Wuzzy" IWB sheepskin clip holster, so taking it off and on was no problem. I used the same pocket in the golf bag each time.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I guess I play on a 'weenie' course. Other than a stray drive from a nearby tee box, my threat assessment is close to zero, unless you count the 80+ year old crank who thinks he owns the course ... but I figure at (nearly) 70 I can probably out-run him.

Although, I have to admit, in the 10 years since we retired and moved to Arizona, the only personal conflicts I've had were on the golf course. Same guys: old and think they own the course and can either rush you along by hitting as you exit a par 3 green or can deliberately dawdle just to prove THEY are in charge.

Reactions: ctr

·
Registered
816 Posts
Tried golf a few times years ago. Turns out I'm the world's 2nd best Golfer. 1st place goes to Everybody Else! Would be afraid to bring a gun along - might be tempted to use it to stop my misery!

Reactions: DZUS and Arejay

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Golf's just a game. Having your weapon on you might be your life. I do everything with my carry weapon on me at all times - mix cement, cut trees, build cabinets, haul brush, plant trees - never without my weapon on me. If I played golf, it would be with my weapon on me.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I played golf up until a few years ago and always carried iwb. I wore an untucked polo/golf shirt and shorts with my gun belt. I also preferred walking rather than riding in a golf cart. (for the exercise)

I just always made sure my carry rig (gun and holster) weighed in under 25 ounces and that the holster had soft loops (no clips). And very good retention is a must.

I definitely would not have even remotely thought about putting my gun in my golf bag, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
What do you do when you're swimming?
I have a large pond which requires my entry from time to time. I guess that is the exception to my rule, along with fishing in the boat - I've heard guns are easily lost in boating accidents. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Golf's just a game. Having your weapon on you might be your life. I do everything with my carry weapon on me at all times - mix cement, cut trees, build cabinets, haul brush, plant trees - never without my weapon on me. If I played golf, it would be with my weapon on me.
Everything?

Reactions: DZUS

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I wouldnt carry in a golf bag. I wouldnt ever carry off-body. If there is a gun, Im going to be in direct control of it.

There are other options. Since you have to have a tucked in shirt and likely a pair of pants, theres a few ways you can carry.

- In a tuckable IWB holster on the strong side hip. With a smaller gun, like a single stack 9 or a small revolver, just tuck your shirt in around the gun.

- In a belly band type holster. Ive used this option before with a Ruger LCP and a Ruger LCR when Ive had to attend formal gatherings with a tucked in shirt and didnt want to pocket carry because my pants were tailored to fit, and there wasnt pocket room to fit a gun without it beinb obvious.

-The obvious choice, pocket carry.

- An ankle holster. A small gun would be just fine.

- Theres always the option of just not carrying a firearm. You could just take a pepper spray and throw it in your pocket. If youre going to be hanging out in the clubhouse after, or going out to a meal with your golfing buddies before or after, you can just throw a pocket rig in to have an actual firearm.

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
I have a large pond which requires my entry from time to time. I guess that is the exception to my rule, along with fishing in the boat - I've heard guns are easily lost in boating accidents. :rolleyes:
Reminds me of a guy I heard about when I was young who went duck hunting from a small wooden rowboat and had an accidental discharge and blew a hole in the bottom of his boat and sank.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts