Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question on paddle holsters. How tight do they hold next to your body compared to say, a regular belt holster? This is for a XD 40, 45 or a SR9C. I have a Crossbreed IWB and really don't like it. So I'm looking for something else. Thanks

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Got a question on paddle holsters. How tight do they hold next to your body compared to say, a regular belt holster? This is for a XD 40, 45 or a SR9C. I have a Crossbreed IWB and really don't like it. So I'm looking for something else. Thanks
like all other holsters, depends on body shape, belt, holster..............
that said, i too tired of IWB and am VERY happy with my CompTac paddle holster
tight to body, comfortable, easy to draw & re-holster, nicely adjustable tension, stays on belt very securely yet easy to remove and put back on

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I've got several fobus holsters, for a Smith 642, Glock 19, and M&P 9. The 642 rides close to my body, the Glock a little less so, and the M&P not so much. I recently ordered a Galco Paddle Speed holster for a Ruger LCR, and it was a terrible design. The paddle was very short, and the holster was attached to the paddle already angled out, so when combined with the short paddle and with a gun in it, even as light as the LCR, it angled out terribly from my body. I sent it back. That's my experience with these two holsters, can't speak to any others from first hand knowledge.

My thinking is while it is a very convenient design, it does not lend itself well to concealed carry, generally speaking. Others here may know of other paddle holsters with better designs that would work better for concealment.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
a well designed paddle holster works very well... the key being well desinged... with the same care and attention given to any qaulity holster. A fobus does not fall into this category......

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a blackhawk holster that fits perfectly on my hip. The paddle is nice and wide so there's no tilting inside my pants when I sit. Everyone is different and sometimes the most expensive option isn't the most suitable. However that doesn't mean cheap out on the stuff you're gonna be using to protect yourself. Just my $.02

·
Registered
256 Posts
There are times when you need a quick on - quick off, and a paddle holster meets that need. As mentioned, a well designed holster gets the job done, and doesn't require thought about pants size, etc. like an IWB (but you will need a cover garment). See if you can find a good shop that will let you try a couple out before purchase - there are several good ones out there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a Cross Breed Super Tuck, which is a great IWB and conceals very well. Not nice putting on and taking off though. I have a Pancake made of leather which does not conceal as well as the CBST and has belt loops which is not easy on and off. I also have a Fobus Evolution Series which is not as good at concealment but, it is very easy on and off, grab and go, and good under winter with jackets. Each has it's pros and cons. It all depends upon what you are looking for. I myself, will not use a holster with a finger release for safety reasons.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
I use a paddle not sure of the company holds my G23 close to the body and is the go to because it normally gets put on when I get off work or on the weekend.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It really depends on the paddle holster. I have Fobus and Blackhawk Serpa paddle holsters that I don't use because they stick out too far. I have a RM Holster works ECP (Extreme Cant Paddle) that holds the pistol close, high, and secure. If I'm not using my Milt Sparks VM2 IWB holster then it's the ECP. Out of the dozen or so holsters that I own these are the two that work best for me.

Your best bet is to try something first. I bought a few holsters used that were like new but half the price. You don't mind having them live in a drawer with deals like that.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Blackhawk Serpa is a great holster but sure does not hold it in close and tight.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Have to disagree with Taurahe. I have regular FOBUS paddle holsters for: a G30, a Ruger SR45, a Kimber Ultra Carry II, a Colt Lightweight Officers, and a Springfield XDs - all 45s. I love these holsters. The FOBUS adjustable cant holster does carry away from the body. Made the mistake of buying one, and the cant mechanism takes up extra space. But the standard paddles are absolutely super.

Al

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Paddle holsters hold the gun pretty tight to the body on the top but because of the exposed bottom you'll print more below now. It will look like "something" is hanging off your side compared to IWB where your pants break up and blend the shape of the gun a lot better.

IMO paddle holsters only work for sweatshirt days (a lot of shirt material bunched up below the belt), jacket days or OC.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I'll weigh in here..... My experience is specific to Comp-Tac's paddle and the Fobus paddle. The Fobus is a cheap holster and you get what you pay for. My expectations weren't 'high' to begin with WRT the Fobus so I got what I expected. It serves a purpose. Now, the Comp-Tac, it's a wonderful paddle and does a GREAT job for me. Holds the gun tight although NOT as close to my body as I like, but concealable for my purposes non-the-less. That holster's job for me is for 'quick' on/off holster..... strictly a 'convenience' when I need it.

A good gun-belt makes all the difference here, as with 'any' holster really.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I was suggested using a Fobus Paddle for my Ruger SR40C.... For the life of me, their website confused the heck out of me. I have a great holster (For Me) now. and in the future before fall comes i want to tryout the FoxX (Little FoxX Holster- They love em on the Glock Forum)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts