Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night, I just finished dropping my friends husband off at work during a snow storm and his wife and I decided to wait for the roads to clear a bit before heading back, so I stopped at dunkin doughnuts on Route 611 in Mount Pocono. Sitting there drinking my coffee a Pocono Mountain regional Officer (Local officer) came in for coffee and made small talk with the cashier, got his coffee and as he was walking out he noticed my S&W on my right hip half concealed by my jacket (I half ass CC and do more OC now then I did before). He asked if that was indeed a firearm he saw, I said yes and he asked for my LTC as it WAS half concealed and if I would mind him taking it for his safety and just running my LTCF info. I obliged, letting him know that there is one in the chamber etc and it was over and done with in less than 5 minutes and I even got a compliment on my lowly sigma .40 and SERPA II holster:hand10: I should also add that when he handed everything back to me, only the mag and the chambered round was removed. He asked me to wait until he left to reload as a safety issue, I cant really say I blame him in light of the washington state incident not so long ago. He left shortly after wards, only after we talked for a few minutes about of all things, why MORE PEOPLE should carry and that he wishes all his encounters went so smoothly!

All in all a good encounter and kudos to PMRPD for being professional and courteous, not DEMANDING but rather asking in a normal tone of voice. Just thought I would share with you all.

~Steve

·
Registered
157 Posts
Last night, I just finished dropping my friends husband off at work during a snow storm and his wife and I decided to wait for the roads to clear a bit before heading back, so I stopped at dunkin doughnuts on Route 611 in Mount Pocono. Sitting there drinking my coffee a Pocono Mountain regional Officer (Local officer) came in for coffee and made small talk with the cashier, got his coffee and as he was walking out he noticed my S&W on my right hip half concealed by my jacket (I half ass CC and do more OC now then I did before). He asked if that was indeed a firearm he saw, I said yes and he asked for my LTC as it WAS half concealed and if I would mind him taking it for his safety and just running my LTCF info. I obliged, letting him know that there is one in the chamber etc and it was over and done with in less than 5 minutes and I even got a compliment on my lowly sigma .40 and SERPA II holster:hand10: I should also add that when he handed everything back to me, only the mag and the chambered round was removed. He asked me to wait until he left to reload as a safety issue, I cant really say I blame him in light of the washington state incident not so long ago. He left shortly after wards, only after we talked for a few minutes about of all things, why MORE PEOPLE should carry and that he wishes all his encounters went so smoothly!

All in all a good encounter and kudos to PMRPD for being professional and courteous, not DEMANDING but rather asking in a normal tone of voice. Just thought I would share with you all.

~Steve
In my opinion, he should have left you alone. Just a waste of time and annoying.

Criminals have rarely ever used holsters, and most keep them fully concealed in their crotch or center of their back.

If I was the officer, I would have just said hello and left.

And for him to hold onto your firearm is nonsense. "Officer safety" BS. It's a control thing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like hearing stories about reasonable and professional LEO's. In a perfect world, they'd all be like the one you met.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swat, while I agree in a way he should have just left it alone, its was still a good encounter. As for him taking it, I could have said no as it IS my right and covered under the uniform firearms act. Thing is he ASKED and not demanded. Had he demanded, I would have pulled the MPOETC papers out of my pocket and said, No sir, I do NOT have to give you my firearm *this that and the other thing*. However he was professional and courteous so I returned the same to him.

~Steve

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
...He asked if that was indeed a firearm he saw, I said yes and he asked for my LTC as it WAS half concealed and if I would mind him taking it for his safety and just running my LTCF info. I obliged, letting him know that there is one in the chamber etc and it was over and done with in less than 5 minutes and I even got a compliment on my lowly sigma .40 and SERPA II holster:hand10: I should also add that when he handed everything back to me, only the mag and the chambered round was removed. He asked me to wait until he left to reload as a safety issue...

~Steve
IMHO
:bs2: :bs2: :bs2:

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Good encounter but could have left it alone. DD across from Wendys, I stop there at times for coffee if I am in the area. Perkins is down around the corner by Walmart I seen a guy open carry a revolver one night about six months ago.

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
i said it once, and i'll say it again: this was NOT a good encounter. if you get raped by someone who says please first, then offers you a ride home when they're done, it's still rape. stop saying it wasn't that bad; it was.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
That was NOT a good encounter, taking the side arm and unloading it!!!

This is a good encounter....

I was OCing in a truck stop when a group of Highway Patrol Troopers came in and sat at a table to my rear right. When I went to leave one of them leaned back in his chair and said "Excuse me; what exactly is that you are carrying?"

I explained it was a Para-Ordnance P-14, basically a 1911 with the grip modified to take a double stack mag giving it a 14 round capacity.

He said "I thought it was a 1911 but the magazine didn't look right.....14 round 1911; SWEET!!

Now THAT is a good encounter; I am afraid I will loose my temper and develop an attitude if ever confronted with the "Remove and unload for my safety crap". Given the piss poor firearms knowledge of the average cop I doubt the majority are competent to handle a single action 1911.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a few cop friends and most are young. They think they are all that and are so cocky it makes you want to vomit watching them walk.

I know for myself i was harassed because i drove a old junkie van I drove to work working midnights. It was New Years Eve and the only sober driver on the road and yes, once again i was pulled over! I bought another vehicle and never had the trouble again...! I was late for work all the time over it. LOL It sorta burned my as* because i have had more background checks than these rent a cops pulling me over and they have the balls to get mouthy with me because I am poor? Pfft. (rant over) LOL

·
Registered
185 Posts
:confused: Disarming you and unloading your weapon is UN-NECESSARY after you have handed him your credentials!!!
Exactily and opens up the possibility of an accidental discharge inside the business while the officer is messing with the gun or as your are attempting to reload and reholster. A holstered gun is a safe gun and it should stay in the holster unless being drawn just prior to being fired.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I live in Ohio and I have had two stops:blink: and maybe 6 encounters:wave: with LEOs. I have never been disarmed!:aargh4:

I believe that the law states that the LEO may disarm me for his safety during the encounter and I disagree with this.:nono:

I believe that I am more familiar with my weapon and weapons in general than most LEOs.

I will say that while all of my encounters have been curtious and professional most of the LEOs have a BIG chip on their shoulders.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
In my opinion, he should have left you alone. Just a waste of time and annoying.

Criminals have rarely ever used holsters, and most keep them fully concealed in their crotch or center of their back.

If I was the officer, I would have just said hello and left.

And for him to hold onto your firearm is nonsense. "Officer safety" BS. It's a control thing.
IMHO
:bs2: :bs2: :bs2:
:confused: Disarming you and unloading your weapon is UN-NECESSARY after you have handed him your credentials!!!

Have you ever seen a fraudulent Driver License? Do you believe they exist? I have not yet seen a fraudulent CFP, but I know officers who have. There are good reasons to disarm people. I don't do it on a regular basis, but it has happened.

A CFP is not a free pass.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Have you ever seen a fraudulent Driver License? Do you believe they exist? I have not yet seen a fraudulent CFP, but I know officers who have. There are good reasons to disarm people. I don't do it on a regular basis, but it has happened.

I have seen dozens of fake licenses. I have also seen people carrying somebodys license that looked like them but not them. Brother or friends. height is off, color of eyes, something.

·
Registered
266 Posts
All in all it sounds like a positive encounter. Yeah he could have left you alone, but he could have also pushed you and given you a real hassle.

I have a few cop friends and most are young. They think they are all that and are so cocky it makes you want to vomit watching them walk.

I know for myself i was harassed because i drove a old junkie van I drove to work working midnights. It was New Years Eve and the only sober driver on the road and yes, once again i was pulled over! I bought another vehicle and never had the trouble again...! I was late for work all the time over it. LOL It sorta burned my as* because i have had more background checks than these rent a cops pulling me over and they have the balls to get mouthy with me because I am poor? Pfft. (rant over) LOL
I know what you mean, my van is an old Ford panel van with faded paint and poorly tinted windows. A few time recently I've been followed by patrol cars as I pass by school and parks. I've wanted to stop and walk back to the officer and tell them that I'm not a BG.

The van was free and I only had to put tires and belts on it...its hard to beat that price.

·
Registered
157 Posts

And your point is what?

He had a holstered gun... It was not going to jump out and bite anyone. Why do people need to hassle a person over a holstered gun? Most criminals are going to carry the thing in a position to blow a hole through their valuables or in their rear end.

So again, why are you going to hassle someone about a gun in a holster?

Legal or not, who cares. They are most likely carrying for one reason, to protect themselves. The ones who don't are most likely going to have it out before they even enter the building.

IMO cops like to find reasons to use their powers.

Some guy is drinking a beer while standing on a sidewalk. Cop comes by and sees him doing so, it's illegal, but why in the world does he have to make a scene over someone just drinking a beer? It is ridiculous and serves no purpose to enforce these laws. All the guy is doing is enjoying a refreshing beverage while standing on a sidewalk.

There are so many ridiculous laws in effect.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
And your point is what?

He had a holstered gun... It was not going to jump out and bite anyone. Why do people need to hassle a person over a holstered gun? Most criminals are going to carry the thing in a position to blow a hole through their valuables or in their rear end.

Most criminals are not all criminals.

So again, why are you going to hassle someone about a gun in a holster?

To make sure it's legal.

Legal or not, who cares. They are most likely carrying for one reason, to protect themselves. The ones who don't are most likely going to have it out before they even enter the building.

It is a LEOs JOB to care. I don't live my life by "most likelys", do you?

IMO cops like to find reasons to use their powers.

That's exactley what our job is! Finding reasons to stop/talk to people. That's how we find the BGs BEFORE they commit the crime. It's called being proactive instead of reactive.

Some guy is drinking a beer while standing on a sidewalk. Cop comes by and sees him doing so, it's illegal, but why in the world does he have to make a scene over someone just drinking a beer? It is ridiculous and serves no purpose to enforce these laws. All the guy is doing is enjoying a refreshing beverage while standing on a sidewalk.

There are so many ridiculous laws in effect.
We'll have to agree to disagree with this. The laws are there to protect people. There have been many people who needed protection from "the guy on the sidewalk, drinking beer".

·
Banned
471 Posts
only the mag and the chambered round was removed.
Ummm, just curious.... what else could he have removed?

I am very curious about the next questions:

To the OP: Did you feel that you could refuse his request with no consequences had you decided to refuse?

To those that say this was a good encounter: How would you feel if a cop just randomly pulled you over on the highway and say that he just wanted to see your driver's license to make sure you were legally driving?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts