Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it legal to paint the tip of a real gun orange, like an air soft ? this was brought up in conversation the other day when a few friends and i were sitting around shooting the bull.

i have no intention of painting the tip of my guns orange nor do i have a reason too, just wondering for the sake of academics. is there a law specifically in place that disallows this? :nono: in other words, are there any laws anywhere in the US that says that real guns must look like real guns?

i assume not seeing that there are more and more brightly colored guns being sold, pink, blue, green...ect but i wanted to know if it was illegal to paint a real gun in this manner for the express purpose of misleading others into thinking it was a toy.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Funny that you mention this, I was just thinking the same thing while looking at air soft guns (to use for holster/draw practicing). I suppose you could fool some people at first glance (civilians) but I don't know about further than that. I can tell you that a cop is going to handle that gun as lethal (if pointed at him) even if it does have the orange marker.

·
Super Moderator
18,492 Posts
Is it legal to paint the tip of a toy gun black?

Or...

...to what extent can we really expect red/orange plastic, or the regulation that requires it on toys, to be a substitute for societal responsibilities of a nation or to protect the law-abiding citizen instead of an effective justice system?

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
BG pulls/aims an orange topped gun at me and he is getting copper tipped bullets back,I know of no LEO that is going to assume an orange tipped gun is a toy,you point it it's a deadly threat.
As far as gun laws unless their is something state Specific it is not Illegal to paint your gun tip orange

Reactions: BenGoodLuck

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
come again please? i`m afraid that i dont understand the point you`re trying to make.:confused:

Or...

...to what extent can we really expect red/orange plastic, or the regulation that requires it on toys, to be a substitute for societal responsibilities of a nation or to protect the law-abiding citizen instead of an effective justice system?

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
It would help with knowing which end to hold! :hand10:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where did this "point orange tipped gun at COP" thing come form?:blink:

like i said i have no intention of defacing any of my guns in this manner. nor would i ever point anything that even resembles a gun at anyone that is not attacking/threatening me unprovoked. i just wanted to know, for the sake of conversation, is it legal to paint the tip of a real gun orange.

this came up in conversation while i was having a discussion with my friends about ways to store a long gun when all one has is a small/fire safe. and cannot afford a large safe or live in an second floor apartment which cant not support a heavy safe. i know a few people who disassemble their guns and either keep the bolt in a safe that will not accommodate a long gun, or keep the bolt in a separate location such as ones car. or hide the bolt in the house, or even carrying it around with them.

the idea came up as a way to prevent the rest of the gun (now useless) from being stolen by making it appear as a toy. perhaps even keeping it among other toy guns to avoid being noticed.

just an idea, the intention is not to fool/surprise LEO.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes ! "front towards enemy" just like it says on a claymore mine.:crossbones:

always good idea to label the end that the mean stuff comes out of, i also find that the two ends of a rocket launch tube to be very similar looking.

Reactions: NONAME762

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
police officers are civilians are they not?

Funny that you mention this, I was just thinking the same thing while looking at air soft guns (to use for holster/draw practicing). I suppose you could fool some people at first glance (civilians) but I don't know about further than that. I can tell you that a cop is going to handle that gun as lethal (if pointed at him) even if it does have the orange marker.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I doubt it is against the law..... However even though most criminals are not the brightest I don't believe one would fool them once they picked it up and felt the weight........

Reactions: technomonster

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

Or...

I got his point. The moss under the bridge is getting thicker around here.

·
Banned
12,069 Posts
Sorry Sister but if you don't know which end to hold onto perhaps you should not be holding it? Just the observations of an old Redneck around a Sister Redneck:blink:.

·
Banned
12,069 Posts
yes ! "front towards enemy" just like it says on a claymore mine.:crossbones:

always good idea to label the end that the mean stuff comes out of, i also find that the two ends of a rocket launch tube to be very similar looking.
IF you need assistance with what end of a AT rocket launcher to point at your intended target you need only watch the segment where Rae Dawn Chong takes aim at a paddy wagon and accidentally blows up a Phone:crossbones: Booth in the movie COMMANDO....:blink: I might watch that in a few minutes.:blink:

·
Registered
367 Posts
I do not approve of anything that confuses or complicates any perceptions of handling guns. If you point your gun at a person, it should be assumed to be loaded and a lethal threat to that person. My only planned occasion for such use of my gun would be when my life is threatened.

Also, let's not give liberals/politicians any more ideas for new hoops for law-abiding gun owners to jump through.

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Guess you should look it up with your current states laws. Seems like a foolish idea to do so anyway.

·
Registered
37,053 Posts
Is it legal? I'd more concerned if it's illegal to do so. I don't get too concerned with what's "legal" because that won't get you jailed.

Reactions: TX expat

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Is it legal? I'd more concerned if it's illegal to do so. I don't get too concerned with what's "legal" because that won't get you jailed.
There you go with your technicalities again...

FWIW, I avoid this whole problem by painting my whole gun orange and leaving the tip black; that confuses everyone.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
the idea came up as a way to prevent the rest of the gun (now useless) from being stolen by making it appear as a toy. perhaps even keeping it among other toy guns to avoid being noticed.

just an idea, the intention is not to fool/surprise LEO.
Whichever dunderhead of your friends came up that idea (in BOLD) is a moron. You need to sit down and have a long chat with him. I seriously hope that when that idea came up that it did not last more than a nano second. I can not immagine anyone making a real gun look like a toy gun and mixing it in with real toy guns....geez.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
I don't know of any laws against it but read somewhere that some BGs are doing that. Possibly to keep the police from shooting first thinking the kid just has a toy gun.

As for me I'm to putting any faith in the reliability of a little orange paint or plastic. A BG or stranger points a gun at me and they will get shot.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.