Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone painted their black front sights. My new gun has black rear and black front sights. I've seen some videos on this,, just thought I'd ask here. My sights appear non removable. So something after market is a no go.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have. I bought a cheap Cobra Denali .380 over the summer and its sights left something to be desired. They were just molded as part of the slide and cerakoted. While they were a good size, they weren't all that distinctive and kind of blended into the pistol. I bought a Brite-Mark paint pen in white, taped off the area I wanted to paint, and went for it. Not beautiful, but neither is the pistol. It did work though. The sights really pop now and my eyes catch them almost instantly.

·
Super Moderator
19,163 Posts
I have found the Liquid Paper made for typing errors works quite well and is impervious to the gun cleaners I use.

·
Premium Member
8,410 Posts
On a couple revolvers I've used the brightest "cha cha" orange I could find cheap. On others, I've mixed silvery lime green with bright yellow. I almost like the super bright green front sight better in some ways, especially when shooting at orange targets! LOL

I do 4 coats of nail polish, with plenty of drying time between coats.

And on some of my Glocks I've used Glow-On over the parts which are Glock white, which makes the sights super bright in the day time and if you lay the gun under a table lamp for an hour they glow brightly all night.

·
Registered
439 Posts
There's also a vendor here on the forum that sells some decent sight paint that glow. I have some on a few of my pistols and they seem to be holding up over the years.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I utilized some bright orange fingernail paint on a J-Frame fixed front sight and I highly recommend it. The paint surprisingly is pretty tuff and has yet to rub off. Of course I have plenty left to work with if it does start to fade.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Several of my Black on black sights have been met with contrasting paint after the first range session. Some I've just left as they were, I'll trade them off someday.

My brain says, "Oh, that's no problem, you are mid-40's, I mean you are as close to a 20 something as a 60 something, your eyes are plenty good." Then I get to the range and my eyes want to vote out the idiot in charge.

·
Registered
13,187 Posts
I tried most of the methods above with some success. I also tried that Glo-On stuff, which I won't comment on because they are a site sponsor.

Here's the last thing I tried that IMHO works better than anything else I've tried. I used Rust-Oleum Specialty Fluorescent spray paint in "Bright Neon Green." It does not require priming, but the instructions say the priming helps adhesion and that using a white primer under it makes the color pop out more. So first I used Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer in white. Obviously, I did all the appropriate surface prep and masking. I also think this could be done with a tiny brush, if you sprayed the paint into a cup first.

I applied absolutely the least amount of primer and paint I could. Just a quick "spritz" or two to get coverage. The whole thing went on really quick and the paint fully dries for use in 24 hours. The paint can be recoated anytime, so if it gets wear, it will only take a few minutes to renew. the whole shebang cost about $12, including tax, if I recall correctly and I probably have enough paint to do dozens of sights.

Here's how it looks. As you can see, my masking/painting skills are not perfect, but it gives me the sight picture I wanted, so I decided not to improve it. I tried to get an actual sight picture shot for posting, but my phone cam kept wanting to focus on the back of the gun, putting the front sight out of focus.

Tool

·
Registered
299 Posts
I tend to use Testors model paint from the late 80's. I thin it out a little bit and apply with a sharpened toothpick. I flow in/on a flat white and then top coat with the neon orange color. Has not failed so far, and I've done quite a few for myself and others at this point.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
On some I have added a dab of orange fingernail polish to the front sight to attract my vision to it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
ditto

·
Registered
642 Posts
i just received a small vial of Glo-On after watching a demonstration on You-Tube called "An alternative to expensive night sights" it appeared to work quite well, but that remains to be seen. I'm thinking if you don't prepare the surface properly it may not work properly. I'll try to get back with an opinion after i get the alcohol to clean the surface and nail polish to seal it.

Reactions: Renaldow

·
Registered
642 Posts
Looking Good

Not really an update just an observation, that vial was under a light for 30 minutes then put under my desk, an hour later its glowing but its a faint glow, nevertheless a glow. One thing i noticed is that the drop on top of the vial is sitting over a black background, I'll be interested to see what it looks like on my front sight that has a white background.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts