Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with both? I normally wear and prefer leather pancake holsters as they conceal the best, but I've been thinking about trying one of the these:

nelsonholsters006002.jpg

Other than the extra bulk from the snaps, I'm wondering if this style of holster conceals the same and holds the gun just as close to the body as pancake holsters?

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
If I wear a pancake it will not have the snaps! I prefer the SafariLand pancake that has slots so that you adjust the cant to your preference.
Just my .02 worth! Good luck!

Reactions: APX-9M

·
Vendor
1,560 Posts
Does anyone have experience with both? I normally wear and prefer leather pancake holsters as they conceal the best, but I've been thinking about trying one of the these:

View attachment 311168

Other than the extra bulk from the snaps, I'm wondering if this style of holster conceals the same and holds the gun just as close to the body as pancake holsters?
It does a pretty good job of staying tucked close to the body. By keeping the snaps close to the holster body it keeps it from flopping out. The snaps are one way pull the dot snaps and are also pretty secure.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The better question here I think is that do you have to do a lot (more than once) of administrative handling / disarming during the day?

If the answer is no, you don't need the snap loops.

If the answer is yes, you want the snap loops.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Good point. I guess I only have to do it twice a day on a regular basis and really otherwise.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does a pretty good job of staying tucked close to the body. By keeping the snaps close to the holster body it keeps it from flopping out. The snaps are one way pull the dot snaps and are also pretty secure.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Placed my first order with you Nelson. Went with the regular pancake holster.

Thanks all and thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
The better question here I think is that do you have to do a lot (more than once) of administrative handling / disarming during the day?

If the answer is no, you don't need the snap loops.

If the answer is yes, you want the snap loops.

I wonder about even then. How freakin' hard is it to undo your belt, pull it back through a couple of loops? You might as well do a paddle holster, although I am not wild about those either. People preach having a really good gunbelt (which is true), but then want a holster than doesn't fully take advantage of it. Each to one's own, but I don't get it.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
I wonder about even then. How freakin' hard is it to undo your belt, pull it back through a couple of loops? You might as well do a paddle holster, although I am not wild about those either. People preach having a really good gunbelt (which is true), but then want a holster than doesn't fully take advantage of it. Each to one's own, but I don't get it.
When you have more than just the gun on it can be harder.

The snap loops are pretty darn sturdy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
jmf552,

A left-hander must unthread the belt from nearly every one of the belt loops, removing his/her magazine holster(s), too, to remove his pancake holster. It isn't "freakin' hard", but it is quite inconvenient. And it is a bit more challenging to remain inconspicuous while doing it.

rx7sig

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Ever removed your holstered gun while sitting in a small car in the parking lot of a restricted building? It's not that easy and nearly impossible to do it discreetly.

·
Registered
532 Posts
While still a working LEO I had tom disarm regularly on trips to the DA / Courthouse. The had lockers, just remove gun and place in locker and go about your business. When you leave retrieve your gun and reholster. No need to remove the holster. No snap on for me!

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I have a Bianchi version, and it was very reasonable in price, plus high quality.

Being able to unholster without undoing your belt is nice.

Taking off a holster, especially if you use a trouser belt loop in between your holster belt loops to help lock it in place can be a pain.

I would think that most would understand that, but maybe not....

Reactions: OD*
1 - 15 of 15 Posts