Defensive Carry banner

Which is more stable and concealable?

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is more stable and concealable, a scabbard style holster or a pancake style holster?

I'm not sure if "scabbard" is the right term but here's what I mean:

Versus a pancake:

If I got the terms wrong please correct me, but the qeustion remains..which is more stable and concealable?

Some info on me: I'm 5'11", 160 lbs, 31" waist and 37" chest. I'll be carrying a Sig P226 (OWB obviously). General attire will be khakis and an untucked polo, with some t-shirt and jeans in there once in a while. Suit wear some times as well.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
a pancake will typicaly tuck it in a bit tighter due to design

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I use an Eagle Defender which is i reckon an OWB belt-slide pancake. No belt snap loops, just slots front and rwar but oh my - does it ever hold in tight.

I have posted pics before of this one and can again if needed - bit short on time right now.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
I find a true pancake holster to conceal the best for me. Belt slots in front and behind the gun pull the gun tight to the body.

·
Registered
476 Posts
absit said:
Some info on me: I'm 5'11", 160 lbs, 31" waist and 37" chest. I'll be carrying a Sig P226 (OWB obviously). General attire will be khakis and an untucked polo, with some t-shirt and jeans in there once in a while. Suit wear some times as well.
I'm 5'11", 40" chest, 29" waist, carrying a P229 with similar attire...

I ordered a horsehide Kramer Vertical Scabbard, similar to your top pic. Thought it would be this one:

However, they apparently sent me the Belt Scabbard, which is their name for the traditional pancake, with a near-vertical draw. Looks like this, but canted slightly more towards vertical:

On my frame, this is perfect, so I'm not upset about the mix-up. You simply can't tell it's there under a loose t-shirt, vest, or suit jacket. Unlike the more forward-canted pancake I'd originally tried, it's easy to establish a grip and draw quickly, and allows me to wear it at the 3-o'clock position or just behind at 3:30, depending on which pants I'm wearing.

Hope that helps some...I went through the same thought process just a few months myself.

-AX

PS: www.kramerleather.com if you want to surf their options. They make good stuff.

PPS: P95Carry bought my original, canted Kramer pancake. If you want an opinion on its worksmanship from an experienced eye, you might ask him.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do Pancakes or Scabbards generally ride higher?

·
Registered
476 Posts
absit said:
Do Pancakes or Scabbards generally ride higher?
I think that's going to depend on the individual holster...look at the relative positions of the belt slots on the pics you posted compared to the Kramers I posted.

(By the way, I think the second pic you posted is not what most people call a pancake...generally, a pancake has open slots for a belt, not the snap-around arrangement shown in your pic. I think that's what most seem to call a 'belt slide.'

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Mike - yes indeed that Kramer I bought from you is a fine piece of work.

It has not yet been used heavily as my K&D Defender is the total cat's miaow for EDC but - the Kramer has been used for IDPA and is a fine backup rig to have - if even for example I wanted my wife to wear that and the 228 (if only she'd wear a belt more often!).

·
Registered
437 Posts
I love both of my Kramer horsehide belt scabbards. One for my XD 9mm sub and one for a Browning Hi-Power. A loose aloha shirt and no one can tell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts