Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this chart this morning and checked the numbers for today. As the chart was assembled on May 19, the numbers are obviously a bit higher today, May 24. I don't care whether you call it liberal vs. conservative, or Democrat vs. Republican, you've got to admit there is an interesting difference here. in fact, you could say the disparity is downright alarming. I can think of all kinds of reasons why these numbers are the way they are, but I don't think anyone can completely explain it as there are just too many variables.

Full disclosure: I self-identify as a constitutional conservative.

State Deaths.jpg

Note: I checked the numbers against the Covid-19 Dashboard which is update daily.
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

·
Premium Member
33,730 Posts
Demographics can kill...

That said, Cali doesn't fit the stereotype in this particular example.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Demographics can kill...
That said, Cali doesn't fit the stereotype in this particular example.
Newsom managed to help keep the death rate down in his state, but people there appear to be pretty fed up with how far he wants to go with keeping everyone on lockdown. Individual counties also have some very tight restrictions. You might have seen the video of the guy who was paddle boarding out in the ocean by himself? And, of course, Newsom did not send C-19 patients to care facilities for the elderly.

We are going to northern California soon for my wife's youngest brother's funeral. They will only allow 10 people at graveside, including the priest and cemetery official. My wife comes from a huge Catholic family. There's no way they can accommodate all of the family members who want to be there as well as his numerous friends.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Remember that those numbers are artificially inflated. Deaths that would normally be attributed to cancer and heart disease were artificially (violation of normal cause of death determinations) attributed to death by Corona instead of death with Corona. And many of the NY deaths should also be murder by Cuomo sending infected patients to nursing homes to murder off the drain on NY wasteful spending.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
The differences are quite staggering. While the answer is probably not so simple, it seems that population density makes a difference. Never could understand why people would want to live stacked up together like sardines.

·
Registered
33,875 Posts
We are going to northern California soon for my wife's youngest brother's funeral. They will only allow 10 people at graveside, including the priest and cemetery official. My wife comes from a huge Catholic family. There's no way they can accommodate all of the family members who want to be there as well as his numerous friends.
What's CA gonna do, assign a LEO to each funeral to count heads, and do they include the deceased in that total? Condolences to the wife's family.

·
Premium Member
33,730 Posts
I'm thinking the West Coast variety wasn't as contagious or as lethal as the strains that hit the East Coast via Europe and spread westward a few weeks later.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's CA gonna do, assign a LEO to each funeral to count heads, and do they include the deceased in that total? Condolences to the wife's family.
Apparently the cemetery is very strict about it as they have had problems. Since my brother-in-law has a huge group of friends, although the obituary has been published, my wife (who is making all the arrangements) has not posted the time or date of the ceremony. I have been elected as the unofficial funeral "cop" to ask people to please keep a distance from the family mourners. It's a bad enough situation as it is with her mother and other relatives. I am not looking forward to having to ask people to back off.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking the West Coast variety wasn't as contagious or as lethal as the strains that hit the East Coast via Europe and spread westward a few weeks later.
Aside from Cuomo's stupid decision to send the infected to nursing homes, I think the population density of New York was a major contributor. Think of people riding the subways and crowded elevators to get to work or their apartments.

·
Registered
33,875 Posts
Aside from Cuomo's stupid decision to send the infected to nursing homes, I think the population density of New York was a major contributor. Think of people riding the subways and crowded elevators to get to work or their apartments.
The old science experiments letting rats over populate. Results tend to be the same anywhere.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
My guess is that the funeral homes have been told they better comply with the State's rules or they'll have their license pulled and probably fined.

They can't take the chance.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
It's more likely they got hit early before any measures taken. They are the one of the first stops from various Asian nations. LA most notably. Also, the west coast tends to be warmer. Seeing as this flu has been proven to suffer in sunlight and warmer temperatures, just like the other flu strains, it would have helped lessen the impact.

Florida having such low numbers, along with higher population densities and a larger elderly population, would also support that belief.

When I look at that list, I see a commonality between regional temperatures more so than anything else. Which makes sense. It appears that higher population density combined with colder temperatures makes things worse.

·
Registered
462 Posts
@G26Raven - There is something I'm confused about. I live in Missouri and the deaths reported here are almost 700 - not 16.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
In my county, almost 80% of the COVID-19 deaths have been residents of long-term care facilities, like nursing homes.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Regarding policing funeral gathering size- police have been relying on people to report on their neighbors. It worked well in Nazi controlled Europe, not just in Germany. My grandfather was a citizen of the Netherlands when a neighbor called the SS to report where his family was hiding.

The part that infuriates me is that these people feel morally superior about themselves for reporting on their neighbors for playing in the park, having 11 people at a funeral, kids playing in the street, etc. The level of authoritarian subjugation should give people pause the next time they want to hypothesize about a civil uprising.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Regarding policing funeral gathering size- police have been relying on people to report on their neighbors. It worked well in Nazi controlled Europe, not just in Germany. My grandfather was a citizen of the Netherlands when a neighbor called the SS to report where his family was hiding.

The part that infuriates me is that these people feel morally superior about themselves for reporting on their neighbors for playing in the park, having 11 people at a funeral, kids playing in the street, etc. The level of authoritarian subjugation should give people pause the next time they want to hypothesize about a civil uprising.
Comparing a disarmed populace response in Germany, or Nazi occupied countries, and the effectiveness of it all, to the response of a people allowed guns as a condition of life, is not quite the same thing. The United States is unique in the world in that regard.

Reactions: Arejay and G26Raven
1 - 20 of 83 Posts