Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With more time at home, I am sure some of us have experimented with some new and unusual recipes. Kind of like this fellow!

86864374_10158191665422193_653716528079831040_n.jpg

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I don't really care for Chianti , a little to dry .

·
Registered
Various
15,546 Posts
I had a worm.

My mother didn't like that worm.

She thought I might eat that worm.

I wouldn't eat that worm.

It didn't taste good.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
My mom and dad frequented a little deli owned by an Arab. One of his specialties was fried ants and battered fried grasshoppers - large, steaming piles.

The pastrami sandwiches were tasty though. :embarassed:

·
Registered
Various
15,546 Posts
Two hotdogs in the microwave for 45 seconds.

Place in buns.

Mustard to taste.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
It always amazes me what the rest of the world considers delicacies.
I am not a very brave soul when it comes to eating strange things.
Stay away from the street vendors in Korea.

·
Registered
Various
15,546 Posts
I have visited street vendors in Mexico, Viet Nam, Philippines, Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, Hong Kong, Okinawa, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, and Korea and survived. If COVID-19 gets me, I will be mad.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
1 ounce of bourbon
1 TBSP honey
lemon juice
1/4 cup boiling water

Melts COVID-19.
Too many ingredients. Just use the bourbon.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
I don't know, I did two tours in Korea and had some pretty good food from street venders. But then again, I still like kimchi.
I have visited street vendors in Mexico, Viet Nam, Philippines, Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, Hong Kong, Okinawa, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, and Korea and survived. If COVID-19 gets me, I will be mad.
I liked the fried onion rings the toe-picking old woman outside of Osan AB cooked. I figured anything that could survive that pot of boiling grease would get me anyhow.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
KIDDING ASIDE -- Here is a new recipe I made the other night. If any of you ever made or ate "popovers" or even Yorkshire Pudding, this is the non-gluten, very cheesy, chewy delicious version. Warning: This makes 12 regular muffin tin size puffs. You might be tempted to eat them all. Try to limit yourself 2 t per "serving" if you can and refrigerate the rest in a plastic storage bag after they are cooled. They reheat very well in the microwave.

They puff up REALLY HIGH while baking......They also SINK DOWN when they begin to cool, which is normal.

Most all grocery stores should have tapioca flour because it is not a panic buyers item! It will not be with the wheat, etc. flours so you might have to ask where it is.

1 large egg
2/3 C. milk
1/3 C. oil (NOT CANOLA or "VEGETABLE OIL"!) I use either rice bran oil or grape seed oil, but you can use olive oil
1 C. of soft white cheese at room temperature, such as mozzarella - can use farmer's cheese or Mexican queso, etc.
1/2 tsp. salt
1 rounded tsp. sugar - we don't use sugar - I used a little agave. Honey would work also
1 1/2 C.tapioca flour
2 tsp. baking powder OR 1/2 tsp baking soda plus 1 tsp cream of tartar
oven spray or oil by hand:
2 mini-muffin pans ( or 1 twelve hole regular muffin pans)

Preheat oven to 400º

Place whole egg in its shell in very warm water to come to at least room temperature. Measure the milk and oil, and heat until warm in a microwave or on the stove. Make sure the grated cheese is also at room temperature.

Make sure the oven is at 400 degrees before you mix the batter!

Place the salt, sugar and tapioca flour in a blender, or in a tall pint+ container if you will use a stick blender. I USED A 4 Cup measuring cup and my stick blender!!!! I thoroughly mixed all dry ingredients with a spoon, then beat the egg until frothy with a fork and stirred it into the dry ingredients. THEN I quickly poured in the milk/oil and used the stick blender to blend it into a smooth batter.

When the oven is hot, add the cheese, then the egg, and last the oil and milk. Blend until a smooth batter forms. If VERY thick, add a Tbsp. or more of milk.

Spray or hand oil muffin tins. Fill mini pans to the rim; if any are left empty add a couple Tbsp of water to each empty one. If using regular "cupcake size" tins, fill each one 1/2 full or a bit more, to make 12 "muffin puffs."

Place in preheated oven for around 12 minutes; they are done when very puffy and starting to brown around the top edges. The mini muffins will take 10 minutes. The regular size might take a minute or two more than 12 minutes depending on your oven and the altitude at which you live and bake.

Dump out onto a rack or clean dish towels and eat as soon as possible. Sometimes they will release from the muffin tins easier if you let them cool a couple of minutes. They are best when still warm, but not hot.

If there are too few in the family to eat a whole batch and you want to make mini muffin size, make one mini muffin tin full, cover the rest of the batter and store in the refrigerator. When ready to make another batch a day or two later, preheat the oven, and while waiting for it to heat, place the container in a bowl of very warm water up to the batter line. The batter needs to be warm to rise properly. I JUST BAKE THEM ALL AT ONE TIME since they do reheat well.

This is not a completely simple recipe but it is delicious!

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
KIDDING ASIDE -- Here is a new recipe I made the other night. If any of you ever made or ate "popovers" or even Yorkshire Pudding, this is the non-gluten, very cheesy, chewy delicious version. Warning: This makes 12 regular muffin tin size puffs. You might be tempted to eat them all. Try to limit yourself 2 t per "serving" if you can and refrigerate the rest in a plastic storage bag after they are cooled. They reheat very well in the microwave.

They puff up REALLY HIGH while baking......They also SINK DOWN when they begin to cool, which is normal.

Most all grocery stores should have tapioca flour because it is not a panic buyers item! It will not be with the wheat, etc. flours so you might have to ask where it is.

1 large egg
2/3 C. milk
1/3 C. oil (NOT CANOLA or "VEGETABLE OIL"!) I use either rice bran oil or grape seed oil, but you can use olive oil
1 C. of soft white cheese at room temperature, such as mozzarella - can use farmer's cheese or Mexican queso, etc.
1/2 tsp. salt
1 rounded tsp. sugar - we don't use sugar - I used a little agave. Honey would work also
1 1/2 C.tapioca flour
2 tsp. baking powder OR 1/2 tsp baking soda plus 1 tsp cream of tartar
oven spray or oil by hand:
2 mini-muffin pans ( or 1 twelve hole regular muffin pans)

Preheat oven to 400º

Place whole egg in its shell in very warm water to come to at least room temperature. Measure the milk and oil, and heat until warm in a microwave or on the stove. Make sure the grated cheese is also at room temperature.

Make sure the oven is at 400 degrees before you mix the batter!

Place the salt, sugar and tapioca flour in a blender, or in a tall pint+ container if you will use a stick blender. I USED A 4 Cup measuring cup and my stick blender!!!! I thoroughly mixed all dry ingredients with a spoon, then beat the egg until frothy with a fork and stirred it into the dry ingredients. THEN I quickly poured in the milk/oil and used the stick blender to blend it into a smooth batter.

When the oven is hot, add the cheese, then the egg, and last the oil and milk. Blend until a smooth batter forms. If VERY thick, add a Tbsp. or more of milk.

Spray or hand oil muffin tins. Fill mini pans to the rim; if any are left empty add a couple Tbsp of water to each empty one. If using regular "cupcake size" tins, fill each one 1/2 full or a bit more, to make 12 "muffin puffs."

Place in preheated oven for around 12 minutes; they are done when very puffy and starting to brown around the top edges. The mini muffins will take 10 minutes. The regular size might take a minute or two more than 12 minutes depending on your oven and the altitude at which you live and bake.

Dump out onto a rack or clean dish towels and eat as soon as possible. Sometimes they will release from the muffin tins easier if you let them cool a couple of minutes. They are best when still warm, but not hot.

If there are too few in the family to eat a whole batch and you want to make mini muffin size, make one mini muffin tin full, cover the rest of the batter and store in the refrigerator. When ready to make another batch a day or two later, preheat the oven, and while waiting for it to heat, place the container in a bowl of very warm water up to the batter line. The batter needs to be warm to rise properly. I JUST BAKE THEM ALL AT ONE TIME since they do reheat well.

This is not a completely simple recipe but it is delicious!
Yorkshire pudding is one of my top 4 favorite things to eat. Could have a meal out of them, with beef gravy and nothing else.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts